Smith & Nephew

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.8

Sales Interview

Communication was great. Interviewed with local manager then upper management plus ride along. Feedback from all interviews was very positive. HR was able to answer all my questions from the beginning.

Interview Questions
    • "If I spoke with your old manager what are 3 things they would tell me you need to work on"   Answer Question

Associate Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Smith & Nephew in July 2014.

I applied online for an Endoscopy Associate Sales Rep position after seeing an opening on a job board. I was contacted almost immediately by HR to do your standard 30 minute phone screening. They told me about the position and that they would like to offer me an opportunity to be interviewed. I had a scheduling conflict when they were doing their group interviews so I offered that I would meet the person presiding over my territory (a National Director who was overseeing because of a Regional Manager who left) whenever they wanted. That resulted in me driving about 2 hours away for a face-to-face with him. We met in a hotel restaurant (did not eat) and it was a standard tell me about yourself, review your resume, fire a few questions, and then let me ask questions. I left feeling unsure about the outcome since he was hard to read but I got a call from the recruiter on my way home. She was inviting me to another face-to-face with the same National Director and a very high up (they classify by levels) Sales Rep from the territory.

This interview was again in the same hotel chain's restaurant, sans food. The National Director stepped out at the beginning of my interview and came back towards the end. While he was gone the Sales Rep and I hit it off extremely well. He loved my answers and we were more just talking and having pleasant conversation. When the ND came back he tried directing the interview again but you could tell he was trying to get included again. I could tell this interview went much better than they first.

I followed up with a thank you email to both, and had a response from the Sales Rep almost immediately. He was setting me up for a ride along with another rep the next day. I went to the ride along, which the other rep was about 30-45 minutes late to, and I stood in on a case with him. He actually admitted that he had forgotten that he was meeting me, even though we had traded information and plans for the ride along the night before. He was totally aloof, didn't ask me a single question, and seemed like he couldn't get rid of me quick enough.

I got a call from the recruiter a day or two later and she told me that they decided to go with another candidate with sales experience (I have none). Smith & Nephew had just acquired ArthoCare so I lost the position to one of their reps that they were bringing over.

I expressed interest with the recruiter for an identical position in another territory and told them I was willing to relocated. She almost immediately got me an interview with the Regional Manager. It went extremely well and ended with us making plans for me to go on a ride along with one of his reps. It turns out the ride along was just another sit down face to face in a coffee shop. I thought that this step went really well too but I lost it to another candidate with sales experience.

After both of these rejections it turns outs the National Director who I thought wasn't interested in me asked the recruiter to offer me a part time position running trays or something like that. I'm not willing to leave my career for that, so I asked her to keep me in mind. He said that he was trying to make it into a full time position and that things were obviously changing with the acquisition. I haven't heard anything since but Smith & Nephew reps and employees keep looking at my profile on LinkedIn. Oh well. Overall it was a good and thorough experience, I just wish it would have gone in my favor.

Interview Questions
    • All of your standard questions. You just have to explain yourself. What's your biggest failure? How have you convinced someone of something? Etc.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer II Interview

Behavioral and Technical
    The first step of the interview process typically begins with a phone call and then may include a live meeting, which can take place via in-person, video conference or Skype. A recruiter will reach out to you to guide you through the logistics of scheduling. Once the interview is complete feedback will be discussed. It will then be determined if your experience, education and skills make you the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my research projects completed at the university   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

HR a bit challenged and fragmented - develop a champion

not ideal

Associate Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Smith & Nephew in February 2014.

This is a support role in their GYN division (basically being the rep's glorified assistant). Applied online and phone screen with contracted internal recruiter. Was your typical STAR interview that was relatively easy and seemed to have gone really well. I was told she was sending over 5 candidates to the hiring mgr & the next steps in the process were a phone interview with the hiring mgr, f2f w/ hiring mgr/meet one of their reps, & a phone conversation w/ another mgr/one of their reps. I closed and she confirmed was sending my info over to the hiring mgr and I should hear something from them early in the week. Sent thank you note and followed up late Tues after not hearing anything. She then replies back Wed morning with the following, "Thank you for checking in. The team has chosen to move forward with another candidate." No sincerely, regards, good luck with your endeavors, or anything like that. Just that message and her email signature. I replied back letting her know I was disappointed to hear this, however always looking for ways to improve, so would greatly appreciate some feedback as to why they decided to move in another direction. She replies back with, "I do not have any additional feedback. Yes that is the process should the hiring manager be interested in moving forward. The phone interview with the HM is never guaranteed." Very informal, confusing, & unprofessional! Maybe someone should take a crash course in email etiquette, communications, & ethics?!?! I myself have significant med device sales experience (including international sales mgmt & OB/GYN/Women's Health call points) and the HM can't even take 1/2 hour out of his time to speak with me on the phone for a position I'm overqualified for after the recruiter tells me we're moving forward?!?!

Interview Questions
    • The hiring mgr may ask you to do random tasks throughout the hiring process (i.e. oh, hey can you do this for me?).   View Answers (3)

Associate Market Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Smith & Nephew.

Applied online, preliminary interview over the phone with HR. Two weeks later, came in for an in-person interview with six people (3 Directors, 1 Senior Manager, 1 Market Manager, 1 VP).

Interview Questions
    • HR asked me to regurgitate the information I gathered for the day   Answer Question

ME I Interview

Got a few emails, and went in for a 15 minute interview. I made it through to the next round, and was called in for 2 hours of interviews. After about a week I contacted them, and they said they had moved onto other candidates.

Trauma Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Smith & Nephew in July 2013.

Typical, meet hiring manager 3 times (each time completing tasks in between, meet other rep, do a couple rides with rep. Do an example case in front of hiring manager and rep.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected as far as standard interview questions went. If you could have any job in the world what would it be?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, just happy to be doing something that I find interesting.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Smith & Nephew.

The interview is typically done by two levels of management and a potential peer. The candidate will be asked technical questions related to the position. HR will sometimes interview the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews are typically structured around situational experiences. The candidate will need to demonstrate how they would react or approach solving.   View Answer
    You might be able to negotiate a sign-on bonus and additional weeks of vacation. They allowed telecommuting for some, but when I left, they mostly stopped allowing remote work.

Group Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Smith & Nephew.

Apply online then will be called for a telephone or direct interview by hiring manager, HR and other peer groups mostly director or above level. 2 rounds of interviews is common

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the most difficult situation you had in your current job and how did you handle it   View Answer
    not much negotiable as the salary is pre determined by the level and your previous salary