SmithBucklin Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 5, 2014

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Association Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at SmithBucklin.

I was originally connected to SmithBucklin through my professional network and applied through a referral from a current employee in April/May. After a few weeks of following up with HR, I was asked to interview for a twofold position in the Healthcare unit. The process took place throughout the month of June--my phone interview with an HR representative was scheduled a few days after my initial call; about a week later, I was called to come in for a face-to-face interview. I ended up making it to the final round of interviews (did not have to come in for a second face-to-face interview since I was from out of town) and was asked to take a personality assessment, but about a week or so later, I was respectfully informed via phone call that the hiring team went into a different direction. The HR representative encouraged me to keep in touch with the company, and about two weeks later, I received another call and was asked to come in and interview for a similar position in the Healthcare unit--I was referred for this position by the hiring team that had originally interviewed me. We scheduled the interview for the following Monday, and I received an offer (with a competitive salary and benefits package for an entry-level position) the following Thursday. Overall, the process was seamless, and I appreciated how the HR representative maintained consistent communication and kept me in the loop when things took longer than expected--I'm very excited to be starting my career with SmithBucklin, come September.

Interview Questions
    • How would your current coworkers describe you and your work ethic/style, etc.? This question allowed me to introspect and identify my strengths and weaknesses from a different perspective.   Answer Question

Virtual Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin in June 2014.

I applied through an employee. A few days later an HR rep called and we set up a phone interview. The phone interview was three days later and fairly simple. We went through my resume and I explained my experience, nothing really surprising or out of the ordinary. I got a call a week later from the same employee I had spoken to for the phone interview to schedule an in-person interview. I set the interview up for the following week. I was also asked to fill out an application online which took about 45 minutes. Came in for the interview and an employee brought me to a small room. I was interviewed by three people separately but none of the questions were really unexpected. They asked for pretty standard information about my past experience and how I work. When all was said and done, I was there for about 90 minutes. I got a call about a week later saying that I didn't get the job. Overall, the process was pretty painless and everybody I met with was very nice.

Marketing and Communications Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at SmithBucklin in March 2014.

I had applied for this position upon talking with a recruiter at my university's career fair. She encouraged me to apply for this job and told me that I would be a good fit for the position. So, I did as she said, applied for the position and waiting a few weeks to get a call from an HR person to set up a 30 minute phone interview. She set it up, but somehow, the person that was supposed to be interviewing me did not receive note of this. I waited 30 minutes for the interview and then tried calling the interviewer and then emailed her. An hour later, she emailed me apologizing for not calling me, and then set up an interview for later in the week. When the interview happened, she called promptly and asked typical resume, character-based questions. She told me that she would get back to me in the next week. I waited one week, and then another, and then finally I sent her a follow-up email asking what the status of my interview was. She sent an apologetic interview, stating something about how she was waiting from management. And then without any other word from her, I received an automated email another two weeks later stating that I did not get the position.

Membership Administration Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin in April 2014.

The entire process took a ridiculous 7 weeks, of mostly me being proactive and consistently sending follow up emails about the position. First there was a phone interview where HR just went over my resume and asked for details about it. I went in for 2 in person interviews where I interviewed with 8 different people. All different association managers, where they just asked about my experience and why I want this position. Basic interview questions. Each time, I had to send a follow up email to HR in order for the process to move forward, otherwise I don't think it would have. Finally, HR contacted me 3 weeks after my last interview and said she should have an answer for me soon, apologizing that it was such a dragged out process. That answer came 2 weeks later as a no, but since I had applied to other positions on the website, she said she'll forward my resume over to another hiring manager, for which I didn't care much about. All in all, HR seemed very unorganized. At one point, one HR person told that someone will contact me soon regarding an interview, and the day before, another HR person contacted me and had set up an interview for later that week.

Interview Questions
    • Strengths and weaknesses? One interviewer was exceptionally awesome and he asked me more though provoking questions about myself like if I could do anything tomorrow without having to worry about job security, what would I choose to do? I think he was just more creative, whereas everyone else didn't care too much about interviewing.   Answer Question

Manager, Convention & Trade Show Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin in August 2010.

I met with a manager, a director and the VP in 1 day all of whom loved me but none of whom were very focused in the interview (VP was best). But I also had to fly to meet the board for a group interview. The board were all peers but based on responses from sponsors who saw me meet with board, I was easily the best candidate they saw.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation as I felt comfortable with the salary. Silly me.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin in August 2011.

I submitted my resume and completed an online application through the SmithBucklin website to initially apply. I did not know anyone at the company or have any internal contacts.

I received a call from a talent acquisition person in the HR department who asked me a few initial vetting questions and then scheduled a formal phone interview for a couple days later. The same talent acquisition person was who the phone interview was with, she asked several questions about my background and experience, why I was interested in SmithBucklin, and asked detailed questions about what I knew about SmithBucklin and the work that they did. At the end of the phone interview she scheduled an in-person interview for me to sit down with marketing staff, and also sent me tests and paperwork to complete prior to my interview, which I completed and sent back the same day they were sent.

On the day of my in-person interview I checked in at reception and was promptly greeted by a friendly girl from HR. She escorted me to an interview room (empty office) and asked me several general questions about my experience, why I was interested in the job, and what I knew about SmithBucklin. She also gave me a brief background of the three people I would be talking to from the MarCom department, and made sure I had copies of my resume for each of them (offering to make copies for me if I didn't).

Each of the three MarCom folks I chatted with were upper level managers (Senior Manager and above), and I talked to each of them one-on-one for approximately 30 minutes. Each of them had a different specialty within the department and each asked very different questions about my experience and background. I found it very easy to talk to each of them and made sure to ask relevant questions based on what I heard from them, which also gave me some valuable insight into the workings of the department and the expectations within.

At the conclusion of the last interview the girl from HR returned to escort me to the elevators and answer any questions I had. I followed up that afternoon with an individualized 'thank you' email to each of the people I had come in contact with that day, as well as to the talent acquisition lady. I received a call from the talent acquisition lady two days after my interview offering me the position, and outlining the salary/benefits offer. The initial offer was $43,000/year, I countered and requested an additional $3,000 up front to offset moving expenses for my family (we lived four hours from Chicago at the time), and SmithBucklin countered back with an offer of $46,000 per year and no moving expenses, which I accepted.

After I signed the offer letter a representative from HR contacted me to fill out paperwork, and they completed a background and credit check (my offer was contingent upon these two checks). After my checks came back clean my first day and orientation were scheduled (everyone starts on a Monday), and I made arrangements to move my family.

Overall the process was just that - a process, and from start to finish took about 5 weeks (from initial application submission to the day we scheduled my first day.) My first day was two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What questions do you have for me? - Difficult only because I knew the three interviewers would compare notes and I wanted to make sure I asked different relevant questions of each.
      What do you know about SmithBucklin? - Difficult because at the time I knew nothing about association management or the company except what I read on the website and garnered from my phone interview.
        Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin in January 2013.

First I had to submit my resume and write (instead of a cover letter) a bunch of well thought-out responses to specific questions they had. Then came a phone interview, and finally one in-person interview with two of the people via teleconference.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to deal with group communication issues/adversity and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Accounts Receivable Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at SmithBucklin in September 2013.

Had a telephone interview about a new position that was created because of restructuring.
    Telephone interview lasted 10 mins tops after salary requirements was discussed. No room for growth in this position. But would keep resume on file.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time you had a situation with a customer and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Applications Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SmithBucklin.

Applied online, was contacted a few days later by an HR representative to set up a 30 min preliminary phone interview. Phone interview was basic background and previous experience questions. Was contacted a few days later to come in for an in-person interview with two members of the IT group, conversational interview basic questions. Contacted again a few days later to complete a personality assessment and come in for a final round interview with two more members of the team again conversational with some situational/behavioral questions.

Meeting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at SmithBucklin in January 2010.

Was interviewd via phone first. I felt a little caught off card, since I assumed they were just calling me to set up a time. Questions were fairly basic however, asking me about previous experience and how I dealt with certain situations. I never received any follow up, but again I think my lack of preparedness contributed to this.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflict.   Answer Question

Worked for SmithBucklin? Contribute to the Community!