SmithGroupJJR

Updated Nov 1, 2014
Updated Nov 1, 2014

2.8

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SmithGroupJJR in August 2014.

After sending my resume in response to a job posting on a private group page, HR called me. She asked basic questions about my resume, why I was interested and what I was looking for out of the job. She then offered an in person interview for the following week. That day, she met me at the door when I arrived, and brought me to the room where I met the head HR (woman), and the head Business Development (woman). They were both very friendly, nice, and welcoming. They started the interview with basic "get-to-know-you" questions. (Where are you from? What do you do for fun? What are you doing now?) After the conversation ended they let me know they were going to ask some behavioral questions. They had a sheet of questions, highlighted with the questions they wanted to ask me specifically. The questions all started with: Tell me about a time when....you made a mistake, you had to delegate, you were stressed, you had conflict of interest, etc. After that the interview was over. HR followed up 3 days later with request for another interview. This time she met me at the door again and I was introduced to the 3 members of the marketing team. This interview was far more "casual" than the first. These individuals ranged from 24 - 30 years old (just a guess). A majority of the interview was sharing and finding mutual interests and similarities (colleges, travel, work history, hobbies, etc). They each had a couple questions to ask me pertaining to the job. For example: Are you comfortable with writing press releases? What is your graphic design experience? Easy questions pertaining to the technical skills necessary for the job. They walked me to the door and my interview was over. Everyone likes to shake hands with you before you leave. About 1 week later I heard back from the original HR woman that they offered someone else the position.

Junior/Intermediate Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR in June 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call to set up an interview. Everybody was really friendly, even at the interview. Came in for interview and explained my portfolio, they asked basic questions about what I was doing at my current job and a couple of questions about my resume/portfolio. I asked a few questions about the firm and what the position would consist of. Had an office tour and talked to 2 people separately- whole process took about an hour, good and comfortable experience.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR.

SmithGroupJJR selected a number of different candidates at our university. They seemed to choose people with heavy Revit and construction document experience. I only had one interview with them; I was not selected for a second interview. The interviewer was very engaging, friendly, and talkative. The interview was very much a conversation. He responded to my later questions through email and generously followed up with me in a couple months.

Architect I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR.

Was advised of the position online and by friends at the firm. First submitted all necessary information online then a fact sheet before setting up the first interview with a studio team. The interview was a new process based on a set behavioral questions. It was more discussion than Q and A or simply a presentation of ones portfolio. This was followed by an interview with a studio principal and then follow up with HR. I received a phone call after that notifying that I had been offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a moment of crisis and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    They asked me upfront what salary I was looking for. I received my asking number.

Architect (Non-licensed) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

interviewed at SmithGroupJJR in February 2014.

My experience was more of a recruitment session then an interview for a specific job, but their process was to have that first interview, then they would have you come to their office, in my case it was the DC office, if selected for a second interview, then they would make an offer. I had to contact the interviewer to hear back from them.

Intern Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR in September 2013.

Initial phone interview with HR department, then got called for an interview at the office with the architecture managers. Just common questions, what I did at my past jobs, what they do at their office, how they work, ending with a tour of the office. Very nice office in downtown Phoenix.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions: What do you ultimately want to do in your architectural practice? Why SmithGroup? etc.   Answer Question

Entry Level Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SmithGroupJJR in June 2013.

Was contacted via email and then phone. Interview took about an hour. 4 other civil engineers were in the room. The civil engineer team/panel that interviewed me was very friendly and really seemed to want to get to know me at a personal level.

Interview Questions
    • They seemed most interested in my international experience and why I decided to become a civil engineer in the first place. The interview itself was definitely more of a discussion and the folks in the room seemed to really want to get to know me and see if I would fit in within their team.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at SmithGroupJJR.

I actually got the first interview through a professor at my school, but I still had to fill out an application and produce a CV. I interviewed twice and was offered a position within a few weeks after the final interview. The interviews were casual and comfortable, but felt as if they were rushed.

Lighting Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR in November 2012.

Interview was more like a lecture. He didn't even look at a work on my resume or any of my projects, but just lectured me on life like a bored prof.

Interview Questions

I did not like the type of work offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at SmithGroupJJR in March 2011.

First interview was one-on-one with the studio head who I now work for. Second interview was with the project manager, project architect and lead designer whom I worked with on the project I was hired to work on.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were unexpected. Less time was spent reviewing my portfolio than I anticipated.   Answer Question
    Offer was non-negotiable.