Smithsonian Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2014

2.8

Museum Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Smithsonian.

Initial contact and interview were clear but informal. The person conducting the interview was detailed about the expectations of when, where, and who of the interview including the dress code (which was informal). A single in person interview was conducted with introductions (after the interview) to other members of the work unit.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked technical questions directly related to the mechanics of doing the actual job. Although potentially difficult, these are questions that a person interviewing for this position would be comfortable answering. In fact I found the interview easy and relatively low stress (if such a thing is possible).   Answer Question
    Ha! There was no negotiation. I was contacted by the HR department with the job offer (position and starting salary being offered). The negotiation consisted of either accepting their offer or declining employment.

Museum Police Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Smithsonian in November 2010.

I sat before a interview panel of three people.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question:
      Why do you have a Fire Guard License?
        View Answer
    I'll accept the job. Thank you

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Smithsonian.

This was fairly simple. So long as you had the appropriate qualifications and a work ethic it seemed that they could accept you. The questions were very much along the lines of where you want to go in life. The interview was over the phone and was not stressful at all. As for after the acceptance there was a simple background check and everything else was fairly straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say that there was anything truly unexpected.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in February 2014.

Sent application via email in late January, interview happened in early February; didn't find out about company decision until early March.

Was told repeatedly that the position was very competitive, many, many applicants received.

Emailed first for a very brief phone interview basically confirming my interest and asking for an in-person interview. Came in for the in-person interview and spoke with two editors. Questions were more casual, personal, not the usual job interview questions. Shown around the office, asked about my background, etc.

I received a personal phone call when I wasn't selected for the position; the interviewer actually apologized and expressed her regret that she couldn't hire me, which I appreciated, even if I was still deeply disappointed. Did not, however, receive feedback as to WHY I wasn't hired.

Interview Questions
    • "If you weren't hired here, what job would you be working?"   View Answer

Major Gifts Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in August 2013.

I received a very timely response requesting to meet for an interview. The support, management, and executive staff were all extremely friendly and personable. I met with the hiring director and executive director at once - this was very efficient for them and for me. During our interview, I really felt they'd taken the time out to look at my experience and skill set individually to consider how it would complement the other members of the team and their new goals. The interview felt very much like a team strategy meeting and less like a judge's panel; I found this to be a great way of getting a good send of how we could all work together. This was one of the better interviews I've had - no rapid-fire, cookie-cutter questions were asked in order to check them off a template.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be the most difficult challenge to taking on this higher role - the aspect of the job which you have the least amount of experience in and the highest learning curve to achieve the desired results?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Smithsonian in March 2009.

interviewed by supervisor.

Sergeant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Smithsonian.

I applied online through USAjobs. I received notice that I got the interview. I went in front of a panel of interviewers whom each asked different questions. The interview lasted 45 minutes to an hour. The panel consisted of one security manager, one higher level supervisor, and the building manager.

Retail Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in February 2011.

I handed in my resume to one of the gift stores. The store manager contacted me for an interview for which I was accepted. They proceeded to run a background check on me. I went to get fingerprinted and get a badge. I attended an orientation class and started work.

Interview Questions
    • Generic interview questions. You should give detail about previous work experience and why you are qualified for the position. Some questions about what you do in this or that situation if it happened.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

First round selection, the resume and coverletter;
    then, if you pass, you would obtain the interview opportunity;
    and the interview would be through skype or telephone.
    Only one interview is needed.

E-Marketing Intern Interview

The interview was brief as I was on the train when I received the call. For the internship, no previous experience was required, just a basic understanding of what marketing entails and enthusiasm and passion for hard work is needed. Mastery of english and problem solving skills is a bonus.

Worked for Smithsonian? Contribute to the Community!