Smithsonian

Relevance Date Difficulty

Museum Technician Interview

Museum Technician
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview Details – Initial contact and interview were clear but informal. The person conducting the interview was detailed about the expectations of when, where, and who of the interview including the dress code (which was informal). A single in person interview was conducted with introductions (after the interview) to other members of the work unit.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked technical questions directly related to the mechanics of doing the actual job. Although potentially difficult, these are questions that a person interviewing for this position would be comfortable answering. In fact I found the interview easy and relatively low stress (if such a thing is possible).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ha! There was no negotiation. I was contacted by the HR department with the job offer (position and starting salary being offered). The negotiation consisted of either accepting their offer or declining employment.

Museum Police Officer Interview

Museum Police Officer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Smithsonian in November 2010.

Interview Details – I sat before a interview panel of three people.

Interview Question – The unexpected question:
Why do you have a Fire Guard License?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I'll accept the job. Thank you

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in February 2014.

Interview Details – Sent application via email in late January, interview happened in early February; didn't find out about company decision until early March.

Was told repeatedly that the position was very competitive, many, many applicants received.

Emailed first for a very brief phone interview basically confirming my interest and asking for an in-person interview. Came in for the in-person interview and spoke with two editors. Questions were more casual, personal, not the usual job interview questions. Shown around the office, asked about my background, etc.

I received a personal phone call when I wasn't selected for the position; the interviewer actually apologized and expressed her regret that she couldn't hire me, which I appreciated, even if I was still deeply disappointed. Did not, however, receive feedback as to WHY I wasn't hired.

Interview Question – "If you weren't hired here, what job would you be working?"   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview Details – This was fairly simple. So long as you had the appropriate qualifications and a work ethic it seemed that they could accept you. The questions were very much along the lines of where you want to go in life. The interview was over the phone and was not stressful at all. As for after the acceptance there was a simple background check and everything else was fairly straight forward.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say that there was anything truly unexpected.   Answer Question

Major Gifts Officer Interview

Major Gifts Officer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in August 2013.

Interview Details – I received a very timely response requesting to meet for an interview. The support, management, and executive staff were all extremely friendly and personable. I met with the hiring director and executive director at once - this was very efficient for them and for me. During our interview, I really felt they'd taken the time out to look at my experience and skill set individually to consider how it would complement the other members of the team and their new goals. The interview felt very much like a team strategy meeting and less like a judge's panel; I found this to be a great way of getting a good send of how we could all work together. This was one of the better interviews I've had - no rapid-fire, cookie-cutter questions were asked in order to check them off a template.

Interview Question – What do you think will be the most difficult challenge to taking on this higher role - the aspect of the job which you have the least amount of experience in and the highest learning curve to achieve the desired results?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Smithsonian in March 2009.

Interview Details – interviewed by supervisor.

Sergeant Interview

Sergeant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview Details – I applied online through USAjobs. I received notice that I got the interview. I went in front of a panel of interviewers whom each asked different questions. The interview lasted 45 minutes to an hour. The panel consisted of one security manager, one higher level supervisor, and the building manager.

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Smithsonian in February 2011.

Interview Details – I handed in my resume to one of the gift stores. The store manager contacted me for an interview for which I was accepted. They proceeded to run a background check on me. I went to get fingerprinted and get a badge. I attended an orientation class and started work.

Interview Question – Generic interview questions. You should give detail about previous work experience and why you are qualified for the position. Some questions about what you do in this or that situation if it happened.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator

Interviewed at Smithsonian

Interview Details – First round selection, the resume and coverletter;
then, if you pass, you would obtain the interview opportunity;
and the interview would be through skype or telephone.
Only one interview is needed.

Interview Question – several questions about your weakness and strength.   Answer Question

E-Marketing Intern Interview

E-Marketing Intern

Interviewed at Smithsonian

Interview Details – The interview was brief as I was on the train when I received the call. For the internship, no previous experience was required, just a basic understanding of what marketing entails and enthusiasm and passion for hard work is needed. Mastery of english and problem solving skills is a bonus.

Worked for Smithsonian? Contribute to the Community!