Smucker

3.3

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager, Staffing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Smucker in May 2014.

Smucker wants to be as sure as they can be that you're the right candidate for their organization so their hiring process may be slightly longer than other companies. The initial process to get into Smucker's for me was: Recruiter, Phone Interview, 1:1 interview with several individuals that lasted a 1/2 day. My last internal interview process lasted a month, and I still went through 2 rounds of 1:1 interviews with several individuals.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. All questions have been regarding what I possess today that makes me capable of doing the job I am interviewing for and basically how you deal in different situations.   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate anything, but I don't think it's impossible. I think for the right candidate and situation, they will negotiate within reason.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Smucker in January 2014.

one phone interview, one half day in person interview. met with 4-5 people

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation for temporary position

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Smucker in October 2013.

Interview process was well communicated with the 5 people and times we would talk. The interview was in a guest room where I resided and they visited me. The atmosphere was business and the office was very professional and comfortable. The questions were behavioral based and generic with nothing unusual.

Interview Questions
    • What are the detailed series of steps when executing a medium sized capital project?   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Smucker in July 2013.

An HR person set me up with an appointment for a phone interview, and was as nice as she could be. Unfortunately, I was asked to interview with a different person, who was hopefully just having a bad day. Her tone and rate of speech suggested she was bored and disinterested in what I had to say. This was frustrating, but I took it as a challenge to be extra cheery and enthusiastic. My approach proved futile, as the interviewer neglected to convey any semblance of warmth. She rounded out her buzzkill of an interview by explaining that her company had "no use" for post graduate education. I could not believe what I had heard. It makes me wonder if she was just interviewing me to fill her quota of calls. This was certainly not the Smucker I thought I was interviewing for.

Senior Representative, Customer Service In Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Smucker in May 2013.

I applied online and was contacted within two months to schedule a 15 min. phone interview. After I passed that I was emailed a Candidate Bio to fill out and email back. It asked fairly vague questions like "What are your career aspirations?" I was then contacted by phone to schedule First Round Interviews which consisted of being interviewed over the course of three hours by six different people. Approx. two weeks later they contacted my by phone to submit to a background check online through a third-party company. Next I was contacted to come in for Second Round Interviews and a drug screening. I was there for over four hours and meet with seven different people. Everyone was very warm and friendly and I think it would be a fantastic work environment. Unfortunately, after several days I was called and told that they were moving ahead with a different candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions. "What is an area of weakness for you?" "If I were to ask one of your friends about you, how would he/she describe you?" "Tell me a little bit about yourself?" "What questions to you have for me?"   Answer Question

Nutrition Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Smucker.

After a phone interview, I was contacted for an in-person interview. This took place over 4 hours with 12 separate people. Some of these people spent the majority of the interview talking about themselves which I found strange. Also, I think a panel interview would have been more efficient.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult, or unexpected questions, but one of the twelve different people I had to interview with was a very young person from the business end of the operation who clearly had no idea how this position fit into the organization so that part of the interview was very awkward and apparently unnecessary.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Smucker in November 2012.

This was an easy interview process, but the onsite interview was very long interview process for an intern position. I got an email from the HR manager and had an onsite interview a week later. I got there at 8 and wasn't finished until 1. Everyone was very friendly and professional throughout the whole process, with the exception of one of my interviewers not showing up.

Most of the questions were straightforward regarding work experience, computer knowledge and ambitions for career advancement. The interviewers were from many different departments, so there were a lot of different perspectives for questions. However, there were a lot of repeated questions, and by the end, you could answer those questions flawlessly.

At the end of the interviews, two engineers took me to lunch in the cafeteria. The entire process was a good experience and the company did a good job of keeping me from getting too stressed.

Interview Questions
    • Name a project you did on your own that you are particularly proud of.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Smucker in January 2012.

Half day interview with entire team. Very casual, environment. The interview was with the one over one manager, the manager, and the entire team one person at a time. I felt like i spent a large portion of time reestablishing myself. Each interview person asked the same questions and I lacked the ability to truly establish my relevant background because of the short alloted time with the same basic foundation building questions

Low offer

AV Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Smucker in August 2011.

I began interviewing for this position in Mid-June 2011. The 1st step consisted of a phone screen/webcam interview. I was scheduled to do this on a weekday afternoon at 1:00 so I took a half day of vacation at my current employer. About an hour before the interview time the HR dept. called and told me they had to re-schedule and initially wanted to do it on another day. Luckily I was able to get it later that same day. This interview was fairly brief.

The next step was an in person interview in Orrville, I met with several people, all 1 at a time, each one of them asked me the same questions.

After this I was brought back for a second in person interview. Before the interview a Smucker's recruiter called me and told me I was the ONLY candidate who was being called back for this step. HOWEVER, when I was at the interview a different recruiter told me there was also 1 other candidate they were "very excited about". That had me scratching my head but I didn't want to throw the first recruiter under the bus so I just wrote it off. This interview was similar to the first in that multiple people took turns asking me the same questions.

The final step consisted of another in person interview, it is Mid-August 2011 at this point. I interviewed with several people who had been hired within the last few months and seemingly had very little to do with the position I was seeking. They took turns asking me the same questions.

I was then called and told I did not get the job via a voice-mail, and an e-mail.

Most of the people I interviewed with were very friendly and very respectful. Overall, I would say the interview process was overkill. If you can get a job there they seem to have great benefits and a great atmosphere. They just aren't very considerate of other people's time(I used a ton of vacation time to go after this position!) during the interview process, and the recruiting dept. seems to be a bit of a mess.

Interview Questions
    • They really want to know about your interests outside of work, as well as what attracted you to Smuckers.   Answer Question

Applications Analyst, Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Smucker in April 2011.

I interviewed for this position in Orrville while living in Upstate NY. The following steps were taken:

-I was headhunted on LinkedIn
    -Had a broad phone interview with company recruiter
    -Had two back-to-back video interviews with hiring manager and a director
    -Was flown to Ohio (via Cleveland, stayed in Akron) for full day (11:30-6) of interviews. Lunch was provided.

Here's where my gripe with Smucker begins. Their process was very professional up until this point - it seemed like a great fit, and I was prepared for an offer. They even did a background check and drug test onsite. I was told I would hear back either way within a week, but never heard anything back. I tried contacting HR, the recruiter, the hiring manager after a few weeks, and none of them returned my calls. This was almost a year ago, and I'm still in the dark as to what happened - I'm wondering if their funding was denied and no one had the guts to tell me. I know this type of behavior is to be expected in today's cold corporate culture, but for a company that prides itself on family values I thought this was pretty low.

Interview Questions
    • What's the greatest challenge you've faced in your life?   View Answer