Snagajob Engineering Interview Questions & Reviews

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Snagajob in February 2012.

I reached out to the recruiter, and after some friendly back and forth there was an initial official phone screen. After that there was a phone screen with two engineers. Then they asked me to schedule a 4 hour interview. I gave them some dates, but I was asked for a date sooner. Being accommodating, I cleared some time on my calendar. Then they told me never mind, we'll go with one of the original dates. This seemed very disorganized. Then they brought me in for the 4 hour interview session which was pretty laborious. Some observations: upon arrival, the receptionist did not acknowledge me. She seemed busy arguing with someone on the phone. This was my first surprise of many. When the recruiter came to get me and brought me back, I saw foozball tables, but no one playing them. People looked very, very busy and stressed. The interview started with me sitting in a room with 16 people looking at me and them saying "Well? What have you got?" This did not feel like the beginning of a friendly process, and this intuition proved accurate. During one of the eight separate interviews I expressed concern about work life balance and the potential for long hours and this was met with weak assurances. I got the feeling that working at Snagajob involves REALLY long hours. (When I left at 6:00PM, it looked like they were in full swing and everyone was in the house like it was 10AM!!!) I commented at one point that I was not wanting to work where I had to work harder then the guy next to me cause we were both scared of being fired a la Office Space. That comment received a knowing look between interviewers which threw a huge red flag for me. I did not feel like they sold me on the company at all during that entire 4 hours, they just acted like I should be falling over myself to work there. The interview questions were standard behavioral questions like any other I have had, which again surprised me since this company has a very progressive reputation. They seemed overly concerned with my short tenures at my first jobs out of college. This seemed strange to me, since everyone moves up from their initial jobs or they stagnate at low pay. This was one of those interviews where you really need to figure out what they want and try to be that person. I feel this is a very traditional hiring approach, akin with any corporation. I was really not expecting such an uptight scenario. I was told I would receive a call the next day. Instead, 4 days later I received an email saying how much they enjoyed meeting me and asking for my references. During this time, I was still pondering if I would even accept an offer. Then 4 days after that I was sent a form email turning me down and it wasn't even signed! It was addressed to the formal version of my name, which I never use. After all that, I wasn't even worth a personalized email or phone call. My references were never contacted. I felt like that was pretty disrespectful and cavalier about my time. My final feeling from the experience was pretty negative. I feel they think they are so great a company to work for that they don't even need to try at all. They seem to forget that in an interview, you are interviewing the company at the same time that they are interviewing you. Job seekers are customers too, and this experience was bad enough that I wanted to share it with other potential job seekers. I would NEVER interview with Snagajob again, what an insulting waste of my time.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time you made a mistake at work and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Worked for Snagajob? Contribute to the Community!