Snagajob

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

3.3

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Snagajob.

Make sure to do research on the company beforehand. Knowledge of the company and values is essential to standing out. Since they do specialize in hiring, make sure to go the extra mile with hiring etiquette.

Interview Questions
    • What helpful skills did you take/learn from an hourly job?   Answer Question

Senior Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Snagajob.

The process of getting hired is pretty fast. You can see them on a Monday and know by Friday if you are hired or not. It's a two day interview process, but not full days. The first day you meet with 5 or so groups of people. One group generally has a lot of engineers in it and you answer the basic questions: Name a code problem you had and how you resolved it, those type of things. The rest of the interviews are with one or two people. Half will be the "tell me a time when" questions, the other half will be technical. If you know your stuff it's no big deal. They do have some really smart folks there, so don't BS them. If you don't know something, just say you don't know.

Interview Questions
    • They really got into the weeds of C# and asked a lot of fundamental questions.   Answer Question
    They will negotiate, but not if you come in too high.

QA Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Snagajob.

The interview process at Snag A Job is unlike any I have seen before. They are very selective in their process, but then again that is why they are considered one of the best small businesses to work for in the US. They move very quickly on decisions, which reflects the fast paced environment.

Everyone during the entire process was polite and professional. The emphasis about here is about team work. They mean what they say.

The first interview was with the recruiter and lasted about 30 minutes over the phone. The second interview was scheduled for a few days later with the hiring manager, and that lasted about 45 minutes over the phone. The third interview was in person at their office, and lasted 3 hours. The last interview was also at their office, and lasted 4 hours. In total, I met with 15 people total.

The process itself made sense to me. They really want to get to know you because you play a big role in the position you fill. In terms of preparing for the interview, I don't think you really can. They are not interested in the traditional items such as history of the company, who the key people are, etc. These individuals are more concerned with what you will do in a specific situation, and how you will react under stress and pressure. Your resume is examined and questions asked are very thoughtful and full of content. They want to know how you think and what makes you make the decisions you do.

I was very happy with the process and never felt as though the interviewers were not personable.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate. They have a salary cap that is told to you when the negotiation starts, and you can work with that. I will say it is in line with industry standards.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Snagajob.

Process really was run of the mill. I was interviewed by quite a few individuals and I took a test. The testing aspect was something I had never experienced before.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected to be required to take a personality test for a position.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Snagajob in February 2012.

I reached out to the recruiter, and after some friendly back and forth there was an initial official phone screen. After that there was a phone screen with two engineers. Then they asked me to schedule a 4 hour interview. I gave them some dates, but I was asked for a date sooner. Being accommodating, I cleared some time on my calendar. Then they told me never mind, we'll go with one of the original dates. This seemed very disorganized. Then they brought me in for the 4 hour interview session which was pretty laborious. Some observations: upon arrival, the receptionist did not acknowledge me. She seemed busy arguing with someone on the phone. This was my first surprise of many. When the recruiter came to get me and brought me back, I saw foozball tables, but no one playing them. People looked very, very busy and stressed. The interview started with me sitting in a room with 16 people looking at me and them saying "Well? What have you got?" This did not feel like the beginning of a friendly process, and this intuition proved accurate. During one of the eight separate interviews I expressed concern about work life balance and the potential for long hours and this was met with weak assurances. I got the feeling that working at Snagajob involves REALLY long hours. (When I left at 6:00PM, it looked like they were in full swing and everyone was in the house like it was 10AM!!!) I commented at one point that I was not wanting to work where I had to work harder then the guy next to me cause we were both scared of being fired a la Office Space. That comment received a knowing look between interviewers which threw a huge red flag for me. I did not feel like they sold me on the company at all during that entire 4 hours, they just acted like I should be falling over myself to work there. The interview questions were standard behavioral questions like any other I have had, which again surprised me since this company has a very progressive reputation. They seemed overly concerned with my short tenures at my first jobs out of college. This seemed strange to me, since everyone moves up from their initial jobs or they stagnate at low pay. This was one of those interviews where you really need to figure out what they want and try to be that person. I feel this is a very traditional hiring approach, akin with any corporation. I was really not expecting such an uptight scenario. I was told I would receive a call the next day. Instead, 4 days later I received an email saying how much they enjoyed meeting me and asking for my references. During this time, I was still pondering if I would even accept an offer. Then 4 days after that I was sent a form email turning me down and it wasn't even signed! It was addressed to the formal version of my name, which I never use. After all that, I wasn't even worth a personalized email or phone call. My references were never contacted. I felt like that was pretty disrespectful and cavalier about my time. My final feeling from the experience was pretty negative. I feel they think they are so great a company to work for that they don't even need to try at all. They seem to forget that in an interview, you are interviewing the company at the same time that they are interviewing you. Job seekers are customers too, and this experience was bad enough that I wanted to share it with other potential job seekers. I would NEVER interview with Snagajob again, what an insulting waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you made a mistake at work and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Snagajob in March 2011.

I submitted my resume through email after seeing job postings online. I heard back within 2 weeks to setup an initial phone interview. The initial phone interview lasted about 30 min and I was asked to do another phone interview a couple days later with an actual employee and not HR. Once that was passed, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview that consisted of six 30 minute interviews with either 1 or 2 people that represented all the possible colleagues I would work with. Once I recieved the thumbs up from this day, I was asked to take a Caliper personality test. Once this was passed, I was asked to come back in for another round of in-person interviews with C-level and VPs fo the company. I was then given a verbal offer once their approvals were given.

Interview Questions
    • In one sentence, explain what the essence of me is.   View Answer
    There was some room for negotiation but you must have documentation and facts to backup your claims. Salaries appear to be in-line with industry norms.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Snagajob in March 2011.

Very informal 1:1 interview, just talked and hung out with the guy so he could get an idea of my "voice". The overall atmosphere and culture in the office seemed pretty relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me something over the phone so I can hear your "voice" and if our customers will be willing to buy the SnagAJob service from you.   View Answer

Account Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Snagajob in May 2010.

This was a pretty irritating interview process. The first thing that attracted me to this company was the "look at us, we're so cool, have fun, and love working together" sort of attitude that the website portrays. Anyways, back to the interview: I prepared extensively for this interview, and felt that my qualifications were perfect for the position. I prepared for the interview according to what was listed in the job description. However, the questions the recruiter asked me felt so vague, they were all very difficult to answer. I also felt like they really didn't give me a chance to shine.

After the so-so interview I sat on edge and checked my phone more anxiously than a teenage-girl waiting on her crush to call. Of course, the call came after an entire week or so of waiting. Of course the answer was no, I did not get invited for an-on site interview. I went through this torture twice.

Last summer, I was on the rocks job-wise and barely squeaking by with the pitiful job I had. I was still bitter about the asinine interview process, but I notice the same job was posted again, so I swallowed my pride and decided to give it another shot. I figured, "Hey, I'm more experienced, polished, and will know what to expect." This time, I didn't even get an interview. I noticed that immediately after I applied for the job, they took the post down the next day!

Like I said before, the play-time, lets-have-fun, party attitude which is advertised on their website attracted me to apply. I was desperate to get out of the company I was at; no one like each other, the environment was gross (physically and metaphorically), and I felt like employees come last. Naturally, was caught up in the "magic" this company seemed to have. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't get hired! First of all, the pay they told me for the Account Operations Specialist is a joke. It was in the 27k range per year I think. For all the qualifications they want and such an "exclusive" interviewing process you think it'd be double.

Second, this fun-and-games thing they have going on is a joke. Notice on their website how everything in the career section is essentially all cutesy, witty little quips about slides, bbqs, etc. Really? Grow up. Honestly, this company seems like it fits the "cutesy, 22 year old, bubbly, naive, fresh-out-of-college-type" just right. Even that sort of person should use this place as a stepping stone and nothing more. Go and read employee reviews on this pace and you'll see what I mean. If you are a mature adult look elsewhere for a job. I couldn't care less about a slide, office olympics, etc. The amount of emphasis the website puts on this sort of thing is downright immature.

I found an employer for GROWN adults that pays way more than this company was willing to pay, and the benefits are just as good. Yea, they may not have a slide, but I'm work, not a playground after all.

Interview Questions
    • They were all difficult because they were extremely generic and vague.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Snagajob in March 2010.

The process had a lot of steps but overall pretty easy.

the negotiation phase was great. All parties involved were very professional and realistic.

National Healthcare Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rich, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rich, MS

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Snagajob in August 2009.

I had heard of this job via a posting forwarded to me by a group of MBA friends who get an email listing jobs open through thier referral network of graduates. I applied for the job and was called the same day to interview. My skill set was a perfect fit for the duties, education, and experience outlined in the job position. I scheduled and interview with the HR director. A few days later she called and rescheduled which I accommodated gladly. I was then asked to reschedule a second time, which I also did.

It was obvious that the interviewer was not knowledgable as to what types of questions to ask someone with a healthcare background as this was not a product line that this company had previously offered. I pretty much lead her through my resume, experience and answered a few typical interview questions. I felt I had done very well. When I left she stated my hiring manager would be my next intereview but he was on vacation. She then told me that she was going on vacation for a week starting that day and it would be a week before they got back to me.

I went home and sent a thank you note and email. I also inquired about some statistics that i felt she had incorrectly stated (the amount of daily contact activity they required) and asked for clarification in the email. I never heard from them again. After three weeks I sent an email asking to be left out of the running due to the fact that I had not been contacted or updated as promised.

I was sent a "tail between the legs" email apologizing for the mistake along with some typical excuses as to why I was left hanging. I had sent the HR director's direct report a copy of the email and told them that for a company who was in the business of recruiting they had failed miserably as far as I was concerned. I must state that I was told I was a top contender for the job and asked to stay in the race, I still declined the offer.

The fact that this company is touted as "one of the best to work for" and is in the job of recruiting for non-salary positions it was very telling that they left me hanging for three weeks without any contact. I don't want to work for a company who treats executive level recruits this way. It is telling and I am sick of company's who waste my time.