Sobeys Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

1.9

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys.

If you get a group interview its basically three questions for mine. I had 3 role playing scenarios with 3 other people; expect to have more people in your group. I started off by planning a meal; you are given the flyer and you're asked to create a meal based on creativity. In the next question we were allowed items to choose from a shopping cart (only a few items less than 10) and we were supposed to role play a scenario where a customer would come up and ask about the specific item you chose. Basically giving detailed facts on why they should purchase the brand or item they asked about; how it's healthy etc. Last question we were given slips of scenarios to play out. In my example; a grocery line stretches about 20 minutes long and a customer only has 3 items, he comes up to you and begs you to check his items out since he has so few, how would you handle that situation? (tip: you don't let him cut the line.) That was about it and remember to bring three references that they WILL call.

Other Interview Reviews for Sobeys

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in August 2014.

received a call, told i was invited a to a group interview with the administrative manager and produce manager. Did an Ice-breaker, picked stuff from the flyer and acted out a role. not a typical job interview

Cashier Interview

Brought in application to customer service. Waited a few days, then decided to call in to ask about my application status. Talked to the manager and we set up an interview. Interview was easy, basic questions like "Tell me about yourself".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Applied online and got a response 2 days after for a group interview. Half of the group was sent on a tour of the grocery store while the rest participated in interactive behavioral sessions and vice versa.

Interactive session varies based on the scenario given to you. They consisted of selling an item of your choice, suggesting a meal out of certain food items given to you and behavioral scenarios. Would call back 2 days later to assess your progress. Manager commented on the answers, what should be done and reality of things. You also need to fill in your availability again and they will evaluate your answers. They may ask about your experiences too.

Interview Questions
    • You are a cashier and it is a busy day. There are 6 customers in line and one hastily rushes in at the front of the line with 3 items, begging you to process the transactions quickly. What will you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sobeys.

taken int office and asked about experience, what I was able and willing to do within the job parameters, availability and if I was in school. I finished the interview and went home and waited for a call. Was called back and I started the following week. The interview was no hassle at all and it was to the point. Once I began work I was trained wonderfully and I went on from there.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked any behavioral/personality questions that most people ask nowadays. It was direct questioning and explanation of the job. A very good interview.   Answer Question
    there was no negotiation. Begin at minimum and work yourself up

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sobeys in October 2012.

I applied online through their website and they were one of the few jobs that called me back for an interview due to my lack of experience. During my first phone call with them, they did a phone interview on the spot. They asked me general questions like " What does it mean to have good customer service?, and "What makes our store different from other grocery stores?" . I got asked to come in for a group interview. During the interview, they asked questions like "What would you do if a customer wanted meat that was on sale from a flyer but the store was sold out?" etc. They had a lot of questions that were meant to gauge your personality and how you handle stressful situations.

Interview Questions
    • We were asked to come up with a meal from a flyer, for or an occasion which we had to make up. (Ex. Pick out chicken, vegetables, tortillas, carbonated water, apple juice and call it a fancy Mexican Dinner Party)   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

I applied to Sobey's and was called about a week later, i had a brief phone interview and was told to come in for a "interactive" group interview. The interactive interview has three parts. The first part was to pick any item in the store and sell the product to the interviewer. second part was answering scenario questions, third was to look through a Sobey's flyer and plan a meal by circling the items you would use to create the meal. I received a call from the department manager two days later and was given the job. I had to wait three weeks until orientation. The interview was sooo easy there is no need to stress at all :) However, they will do a criminal record check on you.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sobeys in August 2008.

I walked in, sat down, talked to my future boss for 5 minutes, and was offered a job on the spot.

Nothing.