Sobeys

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Sobeys

Interview Details – Brought in application to customer service. Waited a few days, then decided to call in to ask about my application status. Talked to the manager and we set up an interview. Interview was easy, basic questions like "Tell me about yourself".

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a response 2 days after for a group interview. Half of the group was sent on a tour of the grocery store while the rest participated in interactive behavioral sessions and vice versa.

Interactive session varies based on the scenario given to you. They consisted of selling an item of your choice, suggesting a meal out of certain food items given to you and behavioral scenarios. Would call back 2 days later to assess your progress. Manager commented on the answers, what should be done and reality of things. You also need to fill in your availability again and they will evaluate your answers. They may ask about your experiences too.

Interview Question – You are a cashier and it is a busy day. There are 6 customers in line and one hastily rushes in at the front of the line with 3 items, begging you to process the transactions quickly. What will you do?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – taken int office and asked about experience, what I was able and willing to do within the job parameters, availability and if I was in school. I finished the interview and went home and waited for a call. Was called back and I started the following week. The interview was no hassle at all and it was to the point. Once I began work I was trained wonderfully and I went on from there.

Interview Question – I was never asked any behavioral/personality questions that most people ask nowadays. It was direct questioning and explanation of the job. A very good interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation. Begin at minimum and work yourself up

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sobeys in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and they were one of the few jobs that called me back for an interview due to my lack of experience. During my first phone call with them, they did a phone interview on the spot. They asked me general questions like " What does it mean to have good customer service?, and "What makes our store different from other grocery stores?" . I got asked to come in for a group interview. During the interview, they asked questions like "What would you do if a customer wanted meat that was on sale from a flyer but the store was sold out?" etc. They had a lot of questions that were meant to gauge your personality and how you handle stressful situations.

Interview Question – We were asked to come up with a meal from a flyer, for or an occasion which we had to make up. (Ex. Pick out chicken, vegetables, tortillas, carbonated water, apple juice and call it a fancy Mexican Dinner Party)   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – I applied to Sobey's and was called about a week later, i had a brief phone interview and was told to come in for a "interactive" group interview. The interactive interview has three parts. The first part was to pick any item in the store and sell the product to the interviewer. second part was answering scenario questions, third was to look through a Sobey's flyer and plan a meal by circling the items you would use to create the meal. I received a call from the department manager two days later and was given the job. I had to wait three weeks until orientation. The interview was sooo easy there is no need to stress at all :) However, they will do a criminal record check on you.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sobeys in August 2008.

Interview Details – I walked in, sat down, talked to my future boss for 5 minutes, and was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing really. It was really straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sobeys

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sobeys Cashier interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sobeys employees and interview candidates.