Sobeys Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.0

Bakery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys in May 2011.

Interview

Very extensive. Individual interviews initially and if you pass those (they'll tell you right away) then you move on to a huge group interview. Includes using their flyer to create a meal (in groups), getting given a product to "sell" to the rest of the group and getting put in pairs to role pay an angry customer and an employee. They called me personally nearly a week or so later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it

Receiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys (Vaughan, ON (Canada)) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied Online. Interviewed with operations manager Carlos Goveia and Human resource manager Shobha Boodram. Gave references. Did a criminal background check. Did a physical. Started with four other people. You start part time as a picker using a vo-collect system. You pick on a walkie and the start rate is $17.75 per hour. as you learn other departments you get $0.50 extra per hour for each certification. After 5 years and learning picking, shipping and receiving you make $24.00 per hour. You have to stay in each role for at least 6 months before you can learn a new one. Lots of full time opportunities going to be available. They are putting in freezers. By 2016 expansion of the building on 8265 Huntington rd in Vaughan will be complete that is when you want to apply for full time but for now apply as part time just so you can get your foot in the door and be able to get full time when the completion is done. Plus you also get annual raises $0.50 minimum per year. Also a clothing allowance of $200.00 per year and safety shoes another $125.00 per year on top. The benefits are 70 80 90 percent coverage if you buy medications at a Sobeys pharmacy and 60 70 80 if you buy your medications at another non Sobeys pharmacy. Great place to work. Sobey's pays 100 percent for the lowest coverage 70 percent coverage. If you want 80 or 90 percent coverage you must pay the extra.

Interview Questions

• Work Experience. Can you do a physical. Can you lift 65 pounds.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Standard no negotiating. Everyone starts part time at $17.75 per hour and after 6 months if there is a full time posting you can apply and get 40 hours a week.

Industrial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

I was headhunted by HR and did not officially apply for the role. We had an phone conversation and she was very friendly and conversational. After finding out more about the position, we set up a meeting with the hiring manager. I was interviewed by the hiring manager, HR and an HR intern. The feel was very casual and it was more a conversation than it was an interview. I talked about my background and experience, I can't remember any pointed questions. It was interesting (perhaps unprofessional a little) that in my questions and answers, it was commented that no one else had answered this way, and no other candidate had so many questions. I knew someone in the team already and seemed like the expectation in the interview did not match up with actual experience. In the end, I did not meet with a second time, even though they were pushing me to as I was not ready to my current position. I was comfortable with HR to discuss options and my feelings however, despite her friendliness, after I told them of my decision not to proceed, I heard nothing else from them or the hiring manager.

Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sobeys (Milton, ON (Canada)) in March 2012.

Interview

quick, friendly and fair and very informative. outlined job duties and expectations.

Procurement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in October 2009.

Interview

Excellent interview process. very professional individuals. First phone interview with recruiter, then 1st interview with HR and future director. Next and final interview with director and future VP.

Interview Questions

• how many stores does sobeys have. when was the first one opened   1 Answer

Negotiation

i was able to negotiate 5000 more than the asking plus signing bonus. I would tell anyone thinking of working there that it is a great place to work

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Interview

Was first contacted by HR person, briefly asked about past experiences. Then went to 2nd interview with managers

Interview Questions

• just talking about the experiences on the resume, but I've done a detailed research   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in September 2011.

Interview

I went in for two interviews - one with 2 of their recruiters, and a 2nd with their manager. After the first I more or less had the job. The 2nd was like for a final confirmation. After the 2nd, I was made the offer on the spot and had lunch in the head office cafe with the recruiters. That was a first for me. The culture is very friendly.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to outline the steps in recruitment - luckily it was still fresh from school   Answer Question

Category Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and through a recruiter it took 2 weeks, I got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me basic questions like, my salary expectation, availability technical skill sets. This took 10 minutes, he then said they will get back to me; five days later, on Friday at 3pm I got an email scheduling me for an appoint for Monday morning. (Thank God for Smartphones and the fact that I check my email every 30minutes). I met with the director and an HR lady who explain the position and then asked me questions: 1. Tell me about yourself. 1. What application do you know how to use? 2. What can you do in excel and what function are you familiar with. 3. How do you manage your schedule to stay on top of things? 4. How do your skill set and past experience qualify you for this position? 5. What is your strength and weakness? 6. Tell me a time where you have use communication skills to resolve the problem. 7. Why do you want to work for us? 8. What is your goal i.e. Where do see yourself in 5 years. 9. Rate your skill set from 1-5. Two days later at 5:30pm I got a call for a second interview with the actual hiring manager that I it would be working with. This was very similar to the first interview, it's more to get a feel of your personality. The next day I was made an offer. (If you are applying for a job with Sobeys make sure you check your email and junk email at all times and answer every call after business hours.

Interview Questions

• What step do you take to prove your value when hire. what step do you take when you miss a deadline   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was fair so there was no need to ask for more.

Assistant Seafood Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brantford, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sobeys (Brantford, ON (Canada)) in March 2010.

Interview

I had 2 interviews and both were a great experience. The first one was by the department manager 2nd was store manager. Very nice people made me feel relaxed and at ease

Interview Questions

• there wasn't any really difficult questions except why should they hire me.. Hard to answer as to not look to high and mighty.   Answer Question

Negotiation

make sure you know how many hours you will be getting and if it is on contract.

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sobeys (Milton, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Typical questioning.

Interview Questions

• Anything to do with experience where the "correct" answer would have been ratting out a fellow worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wasn't one. Union shop.