Sobeys

28 candidate interviews

Procurement Manager Interview

Procurement Manager
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sobeys in October 2009.

Interview Details – Excellent interview process. very professional individuals. First phone interview with recruiter, then 1st interview with HR and future director. Next and final interview with director and future VP.

Interview Question – how many stores does sobeys have. when was the first one opened   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i was able to negotiate 5000 more than the asking plus signing bonus. I would tell anyone thinking of working there that it is a great place to work

Industrial Engineering Interview

Industrial Engineering
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sobeys in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was headhunted by HR and did not officially apply for the role. We had an phone conversation and she was very friendly and conversational. After finding out more about the position, we set up a meeting with the hiring manager.

I was interviewed by the hiring manager, HR and an HR intern. The feel was very casual and it was more a conversation than it was an interview. I talked about my background and experience, I can't remember any pointed questions. It was interesting (perhaps unprofessional a little) that in my questions and answers, it was commented that no one else had answered this way, and no other candidate had so many questions.

I knew someone in the team already and seemed like the expectation in the interview did not match up with actual experience. In the end, I did not meet with a second time, even though they were pushing me to as I was not ready to my current position. I was comfortable with HR to discuss options and my feelings however, despite her friendliness, after I told them of my decision not to proceed, I heard nothing else from them or the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell us about your background and experience   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

Logistics
Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in March 2012.

Interview Details – quick, friendly and fair and very informative. outlined job duties and expectations.

Interview Question – how you think you can improve company productivity   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker Interview

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker
Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – Typical questioning.

Interview Question – Anything to do with experience where the "correct" answer would have been ratting out a fellow worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't one. Union shop.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sobeys in September 2011.

Interview Details – I went in for two interviews - one with 2 of their recruiters, and a 2nd with their manager.
After the first I more or less had the job. The 2nd was like for a final confirmation. After the 2nd, I was made the offer on the spot and had lunch in the head office cafe with the recruiters. That was a first for me. The culture is very friendly.

Interview Question – I was asked to outline the steps in recruitment - luckily it was still fresh from school   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Supply Chain Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Interview Details – Was first contacted by HR person, briefly asked about past experiences. Then went to 2nd interview with managers

Interview Question – just talking about the experiences on the resume, but I've done a detailed research   Answer Question

Category Coordinator Interview

Category Coordinator
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Sobeys in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and through a recruiter it took 2 weeks, I got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me basic questions like, my salary expectation, availability technical skill sets. This took 10 minutes, he then said they will get back to me; five days later, on Friday at 3pm I got an email scheduling me for an appoint for Monday morning. (Thank God for Smartphones and the fact that I check my email every 30minutes). I met with the director and an HR lady who explain the position and then asked me questions:
1. Tell me about yourself.
1. What application do you know how to use?
2. What can you do in excel and what function are you familiar with.
3. How do you manage your schedule to stay on top of things?
4. How do your skill set and past experience qualify you for this position?
5. What is your strength and weakness?
6. Tell me a time where you have use communication skills to resolve the problem.
7. Why do you want to work for us?
8. What is your goal i.e. Where do see yourself in 5 years.
9. Rate your skill set from 1-5.

Two days later at 5:30pm I got a call for a second interview with the actual hiring manager that I it would be working with. This was very similar to the first interview, it's more to get a feel of your personality. The next day I was made an offer. (If you are applying for a job with Sobeys make sure you check your email and junk email at all times and answer every call after business hours.

Interview Question – What step do you take to prove your value when hire.
what step do you take when you miss a deadline
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer was fair so there was no need to ask for more.

Assistant Seafood Manager Interview

Assistant Seafood Manager
Brantford, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sobeys in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews and both were a great experience. The first one was by the department manager 2nd was store manager. Very nice people made me feel relaxed and at ease

Interview Question – there wasn't any really difficult questions except why should they hire me.. Hard to answer as to not look to high and mighty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – make sure you know how many hours you will be getting and if it is on contract.

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Innisfil, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in April 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out application and handed into store along with resume. Called in for an interview a few days later. Hired immediately after one interview. Was asked pretty standard interview questions. "Why should I hire you?" etc..

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk
Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – Group interview. consisted of about 6-10 people. handed all of us that weeks flyer and ask us to come up with a meal under 20$..... honestly... stupid questions. They were not professional.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sobeys

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sobeys interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sobeys employees and interview candidates.