Sobeys

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.1

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sobeys in October 2013.

Came into the interview in casual attire - everyone in the interview room was probably twice my age. Once in, the manager didn't expect many people to come (probably because me and some other girl came without the manager knowing).

So first, the manager and Deli manager went around the "group" and asked us about ourselves and what we did. People in the group had business degrees, previous experience (in short, I was the only person who had NO experience whatsoever).

All I remember is the manager asking random people questions like "what would you do if an employee stole" or "what if there is a long line up and customers are getting frustrated" and basically whenever I answered, the Deli manager always nodded her head.

After the interview, we were told that we would get a call back and lol I got a call back within 4 hours of the interview.

Training began a week later.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a long line-up of customers and no one was able to help you at that time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sobeys in February 2014.

Simplest interview I've had. Handed in an application and resume, got a call a couple months later asking me to come in for an interview. Interview was one on one with manager, he only asked three questions. He asked "When can you work?" "What are your hobbies?" "Why should we hire you?"
    I awnsered
    Evenings and weekends
    Volunteering
    (Akwardly) I think I'd be a good employee
    And he hired me on the spot, told me to come in for an orientation and shook my hand.
    The orientation was the next day, 4 other people were hired, we got our schedules, filled out pointless safety quizzes, got our uniforms, and were sent to follow around previous courtesies. The shift was 3 hours. Everyone had a trainer for 2 days, they gave me one for 5 because I was "nervous" and that was it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, minimum wage. It wasn't really an offer, he didn't ask if I wanted the job, he accepted for me.

Cashier/Front End Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

It was a group interview, and we were asked 3 questions. First one was to look at the flyer and plan a meal. Second one was to take a product from the table and "sell" it. Final question was a role playing scenario. Everyone will get a card describing the scenario. One example is, you are working at customer service when a customer returns a rotten watermelon, what do you do? You don't need to bring a copy of your resume, but do bring your references.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing questions, but they aren't too bad. Just use common sense.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys.

If you get a group interview its basically three questions for mine. I had 3 role playing scenarios with 3 other people; expect to have more people in your group. I started off by planning a meal; you are given the flyer and you're asked to create a meal based on creativity. In the next question we were allowed items to choose from a shopping cart (only a few items less than 10) and we were supposed to role play a scenario where a customer would come up and ask about the specific item you chose. Basically giving detailed facts on why they should purchase the brand or item they asked about; how it's healthy etc. Last question we were given slips of scenarios to play out. In my example; a grocery line stretches about 20 minutes long and a customer only has 3 items, he comes up to you and begs you to check his items out since he has so few, how would you handle that situation? (tip: you don't let him cut the line.) That was about it and remember to bring three references that they WILL call.

Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys in April 2012.

I was offered an interview over the phone as an initial screening process. Following this, the HR team invited me to their offices to pursue the interview process. The interviewers were very kind, but interrogative.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose a fruit to symbolize your personality, which would you choose?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in August 2014.

received a call, told i was invited a to a group interview with the administrative manager and produce manager. Did an Ice-breaker, picked stuff from the flyer and acted out a role. not a typical job interview

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

I was prepared for a full interview, with lots of questions about who I am and what I could bring to the company. I was disappointed to find out that they were only meeting with the people who applied so that they could decide who they were interested in most for the follow up interview. They explained what they job was, and their responsibilities. Then questioned about my work experience and availability.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any previous work experience? Do you have any questions for us? Those were the only two questions asked.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sobeys in November 2013.

Submit my resume through linkedin . Had not got response for 3 month . Got interview notification suddenly and ask me to go their office the next day. First talk with hr manage and then department manage was asked to come in and talked for a while. Just talk interview with manager and human resource manager directly. and then after 1 weeks, got the offer.

Meat Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sobeys in November 2012.

I submitted an application, got a call in a week or so from the Meat Manager, scheduled an "interview". He basically asked if I would be grossed out or unable to work in cold areas, if I could lift and move stuff around, etc. Nothing related to me personally, just my abilities.

Clerk Interview

very good, self teaching aids for training and very in depth, not enough practical training time once you are on the job you are expected to perform at 100% far too quickly. mostly due to there not being enough wages in the budget to train extensively