Sobeys Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in August 2014.

received a call, told i was invited a to a group interview with the administrative manager and produce manager. Did an Ice-breaker, picked stuff from the flyer and acted out a role. not a typical job interview

Category Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in December 2013.

I applied online and through a recruiter it took 2 weeks, I got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me basic questions like, my salary expectation, availability technical skill sets. This took 10 minutes, he then said they will get back to me; five days later, on Friday at 3pm I got an email scheduling me for an appoint for Monday morning. (Thank God for Smartphones and the fact that I check my email every 30minutes). I met with the director and an HR lady who explain the position and then asked me questions:
    1. Tell me about yourself.
    1. What application do you know how to use?
    2. What can you do in excel and what function are you familiar with.
    3. How do you manage your schedule to stay on top of things?
    4. How do your skill set and past experience qualify you for this position?
    5. What is your strength and weakness?
    6. Tell me a time where you have use communication skills to resolve the problem.
    7. Why do you want to work for us?
    8. What is your goal i.e. Where do see yourself in 5 years.
    9. Rate your skill set from 1-5.

Two days later at 5:30pm I got a call for a second interview with the actual hiring manager that I it would be working with. This was very similar to the first interview, it's more to get a feel of your personality. The next day I was made an offer. (If you are applying for a job with Sobeys make sure you check your email and junk email at all times and answer every call after business hours.

Interview Questions
    • What step do you take to prove your value when hire.
      what step do you take when you miss a deadline
        View Answer
    The offer was fair so there was no need to ask for more.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in November 2013.

Had a group interview for Sobeys in their staff room. Very strange interview, it was broken into 3 parts, all mainly roll playing. One of the rolls was teaming up with another applicant, going through the weeks flyer and planning a meal...disaster. It would have been better if we could do the menu individually...and if the group interview didn't have almost 20 people. Many people didn't even have a chance to be seen or heard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult....not your normal interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Applied online and got a response 2 days after for a group interview. Half of the group was sent on a tour of the grocery store while the rest participated in interactive behavioral sessions and vice versa.

Interactive session varies based on the scenario given to you. They consisted of selling an item of your choice, suggesting a meal out of certain food items given to you and behavioral scenarios. Would call back 2 days later to assess your progress. Manager commented on the answers, what should be done and reality of things. You also need to fill in your availability again and they will evaluate your answers. They may ask about your experiences too.

Interview Questions
    • You are a cashier and it is a busy day. There are 6 customers in line and one hastily rushes in at the front of the line with 3 items, begging you to process the transactions quickly. What will you do?   View Answer

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

Group interview. consisted of about 6-10 people. handed all of us that weeks flyer and ask us to come up with a meal under 20$..... honestly... stupid questions. They were not professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sobeys.

taken int office and asked about experience, what I was able and willing to do within the job parameters, availability and if I was in school. I finished the interview and went home and waited for a call. Was called back and I started the following week. The interview was no hassle at all and it was to the point. Once I began work I was trained wonderfully and I went on from there.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked any behavioral/personality questions that most people ask nowadays. It was direct questioning and explanation of the job. A very good interview.   Answer Question
    there was no negotiation. Begin at minimum and work yourself up

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sobeys.

Typical questioning.

Interview Questions
    • Anything to do with experience where the "correct" answer would have been ratting out a fellow worker.   Answer Question
    Wasn't one. Union shop.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

I applied to Sobey's and was called about a week later, i had a brief phone interview and was told to come in for a "interactive" group interview. The interactive interview has three parts. The first part was to pick any item in the store and sell the product to the interviewer. second part was answering scenario questions, third was to look through a Sobey's flyer and plan a meal by circling the items you would use to create the meal. I received a call from the department manager two days later and was given the job. I had to wait three weeks until orientation. The interview was sooo easy there is no need to stress at all :) However, they will do a criminal record check on you.

Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sobeys in March 2012.

quick, friendly and fair and very informative. outlined job duties and expectations.

Industrial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys in September 2011.

I was headhunted by HR and did not officially apply for the role. We had an phone conversation and she was very friendly and conversational. After finding out more about the position, we set up a meeting with the hiring manager.

I was interviewed by the hiring manager, HR and an HR intern. The feel was very casual and it was more a conversation than it was an interview. I talked about my background and experience, I can't remember any pointed questions. It was interesting (perhaps unprofessional a little) that in my questions and answers, it was commented that no one else had answered this way, and no other candidate had so many questions.

I knew someone in the team already and seemed like the expectation in the interview did not match up with actual experience. In the end, I did not meet with a second time, even though they were pushing me to as I was not ready to my current position. I was comfortable with HR to discuss options and my feelings however, despite her friendliness, after I told them of my decision not to proceed, I heard nothing else from them or the hiring manager.