Sobeys

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Seafood Manager Interview

Assistant Seafood Manager
Brantford, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sobeys in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews and both were a great experience. The first one was by the department manager 2nd was store manager. Very nice people made me feel relaxed and at ease

Interview Question – there wasn't any really difficult questions except why should they hire me.. Hard to answer as to not look to high and mighty.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – make sure you know how many hours you will be getting and if it is on contract.

Category Coordinator Interview

Category Coordinator
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Sobeys in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and through a recruiter it took 2 weeks, I got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me basic questions like, my salary expectation, availability technical skill sets. This took 10 minutes, he then said they will get back to me; five days later, on Friday at 3pm I got an email scheduling me for an appoint for Monday morning. (Thank God for Smartphones and the fact that I check my email every 30minutes). I met with the director and an HR lady who explain the position and then asked me questions:
1. Tell me about yourself.
1. What application do you know how to use?
2. What can you do in excel and what function are you familiar with.
3. How do you manage your schedule to stay on top of things?
4. How do your skill set and past experience qualify you for this position?
5. What is your strength and weakness?
6. Tell me a time where you have use communication skills to resolve the problem.
7. Why do you want to work for us?
8. What is your goal i.e. Where do see yourself in 5 years.
9. Rate your skill set from 1-5.

Two days later at 5:30pm I got a call for a second interview with the actual hiring manager that I it would be working with. This was very similar to the first interview, it's more to get a feel of your personality. The next day I was made an offer. (If you are applying for a job with Sobeys make sure you check your email and junk email at all times and answer every call after business hours.

Interview Question – What step do you take to prove your value when hire.
what step do you take when you miss a deadline
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer was fair so there was no need to ask for more.

Very Easy Interview

Ajax, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Sobeys in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had a group interview for Sobeys in their staff room. Very strange interview, it was broken into 3 parts, all mainly roll playing. One of the rolls was teaming up with another applicant, going through the weeks flyer and planning a meal...disaster. It would have been better if we could do the menu individually...and if the group interview didn't have almost 20 people. Many people didn't even have a chance to be seen or heard.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult....not your normal interview process.   Answer Question

Innisfil, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in April 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out application and handed into store along with resume. Called in for an interview a few days later. Hired immediately after one interview. Was asked pretty standard interview questions. "Why should I hire you?" etc..

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a response 2 days after for a group interview. Half of the group was sent on a tour of the grocery store while the rest participated in interactive behavioral sessions and vice versa.

Interactive session varies based on the scenario given to you. They consisted of selling an item of your choice, suggesting a meal out of certain food items given to you and behavioral scenarios. Would call back 2 days later to assess your progress. Manager commented on the answers, what should be done and reality of things. You also need to fill in your availability again and they will evaluate your answers. They may ask about your experiences too.

Interview Question – You are a cashier and it is a busy day. There are 6 customers in line and one hastily rushes in at the front of the line with 3 items, begging you to process the transactions quickly. What will you do?   View Answer

Deli Clerk
Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – Group interview. consisted of about 6-10 people. handed all of us that weeks flyer and ask us to come up with a meal under 20$..... honestly... stupid questions. They were not professional.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sobeys in September 2011.

Interview Details – I went in for two interviews - one with 2 of their recruiters, and a 2nd with their manager.
After the first I more or less had the job. The 2nd was like for a final confirmation. After the 2nd, I was made the offer on the spot and had lunch in the head office cafe with the recruiters. That was a first for me. The culture is very friendly.

Interview Question – I was asked to outline the steps in recruitment - luckily it was still fresh from school   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – taken int office and asked about experience, what I was able and willing to do within the job parameters, availability and if I was in school. I finished the interview and went home and waited for a call. Was called back and I started the following week. The interview was no hassle at all and it was to the point. Once I began work I was trained wonderfully and I went on from there.

Interview Question – I was never asked any behavioral/personality questions that most people ask nowadays. It was direct questioning and explanation of the job. A very good interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation. Begin at minimum and work yourself up

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker Interview

Shipper Receiver, Forklift, Order Picker
Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sobeys.

Interview Details – Typical questioning.

Interview Question – Anything to do with experience where the "correct" answer would have been ratting out a fellow worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't one. Union shop.

Logistics Interview

Logistics
Milton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sobeys in March 2012.

Interview Details – quick, friendly and fair and very informative. outlined job duties and expectations.

Interview Question – how you think you can improve company productivity   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sobeys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sobeys interview questions and advice in Toronto, ON. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sobeys employees and interview candidates.