Socalgas

Updated Nov 1, 2014
Updated Nov 1, 2014

2.5

Senior Engineer Intern II Interview

Had an insider in the company who recommended me to a hiring manager. I was called and asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. It was a panel interview with 3 engineers asking basic behavioral questions. Everyone was really nice and everything went really smooth. I was 1 of 4 students with company insiders being interviewed, so there was no special treatment. About a week later I was contacted by HR asking if I would accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a team member not pulling there own weight.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Customer Service Representative -4 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Socalgas in August 2014.

I applied for the bilingual customer service representative. The next day I received an email requesting my attendance for a testing opportunity. I accepted and showed up to testing. The test consisted of three parts: Yellow Baseline Testing, Personality Test and a CSR Response Testing. The Yellow Baseline testing required knowledge in proper grammar/sentence structure, simple math calculations and word problems. If you pass the baseline testing, you move on to the personality test. This test would reveal your personality type. If you pass the personality test, you move on to the CSR Response testing. This activity consists of you listening to a call and how you would handle the customer by choosing one of 6 options. Pretty straight forward testing and you find out your results that day. Testing probably took 3 hours to complete.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the testing phase is the CSR Response Testing because you had many options to choose from. Some may be borderline correct and some were pretty evident.   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Intern II (MSC) Interview

I had an expedite process since they were looking to fill the position quickly, but sometimes the process can take forever. Depending on who is the hiring manager and who is your contact for HR you can be hired a week after the interview or a month after the interview

Region Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Socalgas.

The interview consisted of a hiring panel of three managers from different departments. It was a bit of a cattle call with a number of candidates filing through. There were two sets of interviews going on with different hiring panels. I got the sense that they interview many candidates regularly and if a manager is interested they will select that person. It is like an audition. It was as if the hiring managers didn't pre-screen the applications. The questions were not technical. They asked a lot of "what if" questions. They focused on situational questions.

I was disappointed that I didn't get an offer. One of the hiring managers kept making comments about how well I could fit into his work group.

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest mistake or failure you've had on a task and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pico Rivera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pico Rivera, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Socalgas in April 2014.

Three person panel asking various questions because leadership and "what if" situations. No technical questions. The interviews are very nice. Each interviewer represent his/her department within Socalgas. Overall, it was a simple interview, I did not get selected.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Socalgas in February 2014.

Submit Resume through recruiter. Follow up telephone screening. Asked to fill out application online. After application was submitted I was contacted through e-mail to take an online personality assessment. After assessment I was contacted to set up an in person interview at their headquarters to a panel of 3 people. I was instructed to create powerpoint presentation. Interview consisted of questions based on material presented plus 3 HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • Situation where you had to do something strange, how did you approach the situation   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Socalgas.

The hiring process began with a college recruiter being interested in your resume, passing it along to hiring managers that may or may not call you based on your qualifications. Most likely, you resume enters the employment system at SoCal Gas where, as positions become available, various hiring managers will find your resume and call you in for an interview. First step is an online personality test. In-person interview was a group/panel setting and questions asked were all behavioral question: focus on team building, toughest challenge, leadership ability.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked were relatively of the same difficulty level - no real standouts   Answer Question

Financial Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Socalgas in November 2013.

I wen to an info session and then got an interview in November. There was just one interview, zero technical questions. Everyone was very nice. Asked about my experiences on my resume and what I learned from them. They asked pretty standard HR questions. They took awhile to get back to me.

Senior Engineer Intern II Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Socalgas in November 2013.

The interview was much easier than I anticipated. It was my first professional interview and although I thought I didn't do very well, it helped boost my confidence and helped me get a good feel for the interviewing process.

There were two Associate Engineers and their Engineering Supervisor. The questions were very basic. They included things such as "How did you handle a disagreement with a supervisor?" Most questions essentially boiled down to "How did you handle [insert situation]?" Always past tense.

After all of the behavioral questions, there were two technical questions. These went something like this "What are the variables in Bernoulli's Equation?" and "What factors can affect the pressure of a fluid through a pipe with constant diameter?"

All three of the Engineers that were interviewing were very welcoming and made the interviewing process that much easier.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions to me, were the behavioral questions. They give you a scenario and ask you to discuss how you handled the situation. In other words, they expect to hear that you have encountered a similar or identical situation and ask you to explain how you overcame it. It was difficult because it involved thinking very fast and trying to conform that scenario to something I had previously experienced.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Socalgas in April 2012.

Referred to work as an intern through a mutual friend. The interview was comprehensive and detailed with many questions about why I was qualified to work considering I had no previous job experience. After the interview process, I had to talk extensively with HR to make sure I met all qualification and made sure I had all the information I would need sent to me prior to my first day.

Interview Questions
    • Without any previous work experience, how will we know that you will deliver for our company?   Answer Question