Société Générale

Interview Question – Explain the shape of volatility smile   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Trader

Interviewed at Société Générale

Interview Details – After initial phone screening, was invited on-site for a few hours. Met with all people in the team to discuss qualifications and for brainteasers

Interview Question – Market questions, brainteasers on dice and cards, etc. the usual   Answer Question

Hedge Fund Risk Intern Interview

Hedge Fund Risk Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Société Générale.

Interview Details – I applied for this job directly through the company website and was contacted by their recruiting manager. I went through two rounds of interviews with two hiring managers. The questions were mainly about fit, willingness to work independently, and about my prior experience. The whole process ended up taking a couple of months.

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were based on experience.

Front Office Trading Analyst Interview

Front Office Trading Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Société Générale in September 2013.

Interview Details – Major takeaway: Frenchmen are so random.

I applied online and the HR replied very soon, I scheduled 1.5 weeks later for more preparation time. It was a front office trading assistant type position at Interest Rate Derivatives desk. So I prepared accordingly.

HOWEVER, when I met with the manager, he asked me:"what type of position are you looking for?" I was astonished, wasn't there supposed to be an ACTUAL OPENING I am here to attempting to fill? Why are you asking? So I answered the exact position that I am emailed to interview for.

Then here goes the interview questions, not in chronological order:
0. Walk through resume...
1. What do you see yourself in 5 years?

'========================================================
This is the part where they are so random.
He then said this is a BACK OFFICE RISK MANAGEMENT position expecting the candidate to grow with FINANCE department. I was astonished again!! The job description said it's front office, and I am preparing as a front office interview!! So after this question, he is considering transfer me to equity desk.
'========================================================

2. What do you expect your daily work be in this position?
3. What is delta of Long a call and short a put? Any other derivatives that have delta of 1?
4. What is ETF? (He is asking me this because he tries to transfer me to the equity desk, I'll mention this later)
5. Write a code in VBA...mine was about a searching function, kind of a VLookup
6. and other technical questions...etc...

When I was writing the code, as I was an international candidate, he told me they are NOT E-VERIFIED, and since it's early Sep, and my F-1 OPT expires before next Oct, they can't file H-1B for me now. I said fine, I can work with HR and law firm to figure a way to E-Verify myself (although I'm not sure if I really could).

So without a doubt, I failed this one. But he said there's a front office equity desk intern vacancy and brought another French to interview me.

Then here goes another interview:
0. Walk through resume again...
1. What's price of a future? What's difference b/w future and forward?
2. Tell me a trade you've done...
3. What is ETF arbitrage?
4. and other technical questions...etc...no VBA code writing, probably because the first one told him I've passed it.

Then the interview goes well, he told me to wait for feedback next week.

Interview Question – I didn't expect the position would be different from the job description.   Answer Question

Middle Office Associate Interview

Middle Office Associate
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Société Générale.

Interview Details – The interview process was set for 3 rounds. The first two were with members of the business team and then I met with HR. The interviewers were very nice and professional- their questions were very detailed and specific both about my experience and their role. I liked that I met a number of people from the team.

Interview Question – They asked me a few questions outside of my expertise. I think they wanted to gauge my knowledge on a couple of different concepts.   Answer Question

Trading Desk Assistant Interview

Trading Desk Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Société Générale in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was refereed by a worker to the HR. Got contact from the HR very quickly and scheduled an interview with the department head on the following week.
The interview went roughly a hour, started by asking the basic question about my resume, such as what did you do in your** internship. There were some technical questions about hedge fund and derivatives. They seems to care a lot on sales experience, which I don't have.

Interview Question – Can you described some hedge fund strategies ?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Société Générale in January 2012.

Interview Details – 1 interview with the management and 1 with the HR

Interview Question – question were really easy but I did not expected to passan excel test at the end   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. They offer you a salary and it is difficult t negotiate. I took the job because I needed it.

Front Office Quant Interview

Front Office Quant

Interviewed at Société Générale

Interview Details – Questions mainly focus on time series, stochastic calculus, black-scholes. Also ask some programming questions. They use VBA a lot. One guy trading vol asked some volatility smile question.

Interview Question – As a student without work experience I couldn't come up with answers to all the questions. But I guess they understood that.   Answer Question

Sales and Trading Interview

Sales and Trading

Interviewed at Société Générale

Interview Details – Two rounds-- first round on campus (behavioral + market questions); final round on site (gain two rounds, one behavioral and one technical)

Interview Question – Brain teaser about probability   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Société Générale.

Interview Details – There are two round interview. The first one is on campus, and the second one is in the office in NYC.

Interview Question – The interviewer open the conversation with habits (soccer in my case)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Waiting for the second round