Société Générale Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Mar 19, 2015

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Had 3 interview rounds and took me 2 months process

First round was on an campus interview,don't lose hope when you are rejected for the first round.It was very interactive session followed up previous exp questions and behavioral questions with team management.

Next two were telephonic rounds each lasted for 30 mins more of technical on java,algorithms

Interview Questions

• 1.what is binary tree?

2.How to write a class

3.What are differences between constructor and class

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

It was 30 mins first round. The nature of the round was behavioral and resume based. 20 mins interviewer interviewed n later told about the company. Later after the first round one round was telephonic round. Second round came after 3 weeks after the first round but the round is easy to crack.

Interview Questions

• General Behavioral questions like tell about yourself past experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY).

Interview

Back to back 3 interviews
    - First for business knowledge 1/2 an hour
    - Second technical interview 1 hour
    - Third with the manager mostly behavioral interview, questions about handling pressure, communication with the clients, troubleshooting techniques.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, straight forward questions regarding .NET framework development.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If they need you they will hire you

Financial Engineer Pricing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied via campus recruiting system, got Interviewed 5 times, and 1 on-site interview at SG's trading floor. All technical questions on options, exotics, hybrids, some vba programmings, probability brain teaser, interest rate models, correlation related questions, stochastic models...

Interview Questions

• All are difficult. But if well prepared, it won't be too crazy.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Interview was fairly reasonable. Nothing too bad, generally the expected questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Don't negotiate a summer internship, dummy

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Behavioral questions and easy technical questions, not very hard. But final did not get the offer.

Compliance Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter who asked me to interview at the office. I sat down with two directors for about 30mins (the office floor looks great by the way). It was a pretty easy-going interview and I was asked very standard questions. I was told the specifics of the position and its day-to-day operations.

Front Office Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

A recruiting firm / head hunter reached out to me with three potential positions that they wanted me to try out for with Soc Gen. Commodities, Equity Derivatives, and ABS.

The whole process took two phone calls before receiving an offer from the bank.

The first phone call was with a direct manager, he asked simple questions about what I currently do, what environments I work in, and then a couple things about derivatives.

The second phone call was a lot more personal / cultural. He briefly asked what it was that I worked on, some programming knowledge as well as certain opinions on programming environments, and derivatives knowledge, then we went back and forth discussing the 'mission' of the group. Bottom line, I was able to connect what I was working on presently to what they would have me working on.

Interview Questions

• Difficult: What are the variables in the black scholes formula?
      Unexpected: How will you leave your current position?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase done by me. The headhunter/recruiter did all of that legwork.

Hedge Fund Risk Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied for this job directly through the company website and was contacted by their recruiting manager. I went through two rounds of interviews with two hiring managers. The questions were mainly about fit, willingness to work independently, and about my prior experience. The whole process ended up taking a couple of months.

Negotiation

Negotiations were based on experience.

Front Office Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

Major takeaway: Frenchmen are so random.

I applied online and the HR replied very soon, I scheduled 1.5 weeks later for more preparation time. It was a front office trading assistant type position at Interest Rate Derivatives desk. So I prepared accordingly.

HOWEVER, when I met with the manager, he asked me:"what type of position are you looking for?" I was astonished, wasn't there supposed to be an ACTUAL OPENING I am here to attempting to fill? Why are you asking? So I answered the exact position that I am emailed to interview for.

Then here goes the interview questions, not in chronological order:
    0. Walk through resume...
    1. What do you see yourself in 5 years?

'========================================================
    This is the part where they are so random.
    He then said this is a BACK OFFICE RISK MANAGEMENT position expecting the candidate to grow with FINANCE department. I was astonished again!! The job description said it's front office, and I am preparing as a front office interview!! So after this question, he is considering transfer me to equity desk.
    '========================================================

2. What do you expect your daily work be in this position?
    3. What is delta of Long a call and short a put? Any other derivatives that have delta of 1?
    4. What is ETF? (He is asking me this because he tries to transfer me to the equity desk, I'll mention this later)
    5. Write a code in VBA...mine was about a searching function, kind of a VLookup
    6. and other technical questions...etc...

When I was writing the code, as I was an international candidate, he told me they are NOT E-VERIFIED, and since it's early Sep, and my F-1 OPT expires before next Oct, they can't file H-1B for me now. I said fine, I can work with HR and law firm to figure a way to E-Verify myself (although I'm not sure if I really could).

So without a doubt, I failed this one. But he said there's a front office equity desk intern vacancy and brought another French to interview me.

Then here goes another interview:
    0. Walk through resume again...
    1. What's price of a future? What's difference b/w future and forward?
    2. Tell me a trade you've done...
    3. What is ETF arbitrage?
    4. and other technical questions...etc...no VBA code writing, probably because the first one told him I've passed it.

Then the interview goes well, he told me to wait for feedback next week.

Interview Questions

• I didn't expect the position would be different from the job description.   Answer Question