Social Security Administration Attorney Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.8

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Interviews were conducted approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Applications were sent to a regional office in Atlanta, though the position was in a small office in Kentucky. Interviews were conducted by a supervisor in the local Kentucky office via telephone. The interviewer asked me to tell him about myself. I gave a brief description of my background including: where I was born, what schools I attended, highlights of activities in which I participated while in school, and work experience. I highlighted activities and experiences which related to my ability to do the job. The interviewer then gave information about the job, including responsibilities and benefits. Finally, he followed with 5-6 questions. The questions are all behavioral -based (i.e. describe a time that...). Following the interview, he told me that he would make recommendations to his supervisor, before sending the recommendation to the hiring office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Social Security Administration? What makes you a good candidate? What weaknesses do you have?   1 Answer
  • Give an example of a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace. How did you handle it?   1 Answer
  • What does excellent customer service mean to you? How would you provide it?   1 Answer
  • Have you dealt with someone being dishonest in work or school? How did you deal with the issue?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Questions

• The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Applied on USA Jobs. Received email that phone interviews would be held during three days, and that they would call me at some point during those three days. Interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewers read from a script. Standard questions - why do I want to work in public service/SSA and some behavioral questions. Interview was almost 3 weeks ago -- haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions about managing your workload and disagreeing with superiors   1 Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Interview

Communication via e-mail, telephone and in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Had interview with the Chief Judge of the office - mainly questions about my prior experiences and behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM) in August 2010.

Interview

Average hiring and interview process: submitted resume, received phone call from regional HR, call from local hr, set up interview, met with interviewer, adequately comprehensive interview. The interviewer, who was an office administrator, asked about my experience, which directly related to what they needed. I was hired and started working within about one month of my original submission of my resume.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any particularly difficult or unexpected questions. Nothing inappropriate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The pay is set under a federal standard, so there wasn't any negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Oak Brook, IL) in July 2008.

Interview

I received a call from the Hearing Office Director, and I came in for an interview. The interview process was laid back, there were 4 managers in the room and they asked me about my experance and education. They did not have a list of questions they just asked off the cuff questions.

Interview Questions

• What did you want to become an Attorney?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There's no negotiation. You qualfy for a certain grade based on personnel evaluation of your experance and education.

Attorney Advisor Interview

Interview

I am a consultant in public administration. I run the procedure for issuing residence permits to foreigners in the country.