Social Security Administration Attorney Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2014

2.7

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Attorney Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Questions
  • The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Attorney Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied on USA Jobs. Received email that phone interviews would be held during three days, and that they would call me at some point during those three days. Interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewers read from a script. Standard questions - why do I want to work in public service/SSA and some behavioral questions. Interview was almost 3 weeks ago -- haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions
    • Some behavioral questions about managing your workload and disagreeing with superiors   View Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Communication via e-mail, telephone and in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • Had interview with the Chief Judge of the office - mainly questions about my prior experiences and behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2008.

I received a call from the Hearing Office Director, and I came in for an interview. The interview process was laid back, there were 4 managers in the room and they asked me about my experance and education. They did not have a list of questions they just asked off the cuff questions.

Interview Questions
    • What did you want to become an Attorney?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You qualfy for a certain grade based on personnel evaluation of your experance and education.

Attorney Advisor Interview

I am a consultant in public administration. I run the procedure for issuing residence permits to foreigners in the country.