Social Security Administration

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Social Security Administration

Interview Details – Communication via e-mail, telephone and in-person interview

Interview Question – Had interview with the Chief Judge of the office - mainly questions about my prior experiences and behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Social Security Administration

Interview Details – I am a consultant in public administration. I run the procedure for issuing residence permits to foreigners in the country.

Interview Question – My work carried out under national laws.   Answer Question

Attorney Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Applied on USA Jobs. Received email that phone interviews would be held during three days, and that they would call me at some point during those three days. Interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewers read from a script. Standard questions - why do I want to work in public service/SSA and some behavioral questions. Interview was almost 3 weeks ago -- haven't heard anything.

Interview Question – Some behavioral questions about managing your workload and disagreeing with superiors   View Answer

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Attorney-Advisor
Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Question – Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Attorney Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Question – The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Oak Brook, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2008.

Interview Details – I received a call from the Hearing Office Director, and I came in for an interview. The interview process was laid back, there were 4 managers in the room and they asked me about my experance and education. They did not have a list of questions they just asked off the cuff questions.

Interview Question – What did you want to become an Attorney?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation. You qualfy for a certain grade based on personnel evaluation of your experance and education.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!