Social Security Administration Benefit Authorizer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied 4/9/15, went in to test on 5/6, interviewed on 6/9, and was offered the job on 7/2. I did not accept it, as I applied for and am being considered for higher grade positions now. It is hard to know the exact grade and amount you will be considered for, but when you find out, you can filter your search to the lowest amount you will accept. I was told only 15% of the people who took the test in May passed it. It contained a discrete Vocabulary section (if you did not know the definition of these words, you just didn't know, as there were no sample sentences or context clues), Verbal Reasoning section (with very confusing answer choices), and a Math section (with detailed multi-step questions with no calculator available). Even the best of the best will probably run out of time and have to bubble in anything, as there were 30 minutes for 25 questions in each section.

Interview Questions

• They asked for examples of specific scenarios, like when a supervisor had you do their job instead of yours at the time, or when you had to deal with an unruly customer, etc. I interviewed with 2 people at once and then was taken to get fingerprinted (to start that process in the interim, I guess). My references were checked the next week, then I was offered the position a couple of weeks later, but asked to leave my current job in less than 2 weeks' notice.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online through USAJOBS for the position around February , then got a interview request 2 weeks later. Then after the interview, apparently they were still doing interviews until late march after my interview (which was late February). It took over a month before they call me back with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Some of them were common interview question you would find at other job interview like your strength and weakness, etc. Others were kind of common sense if you had genuine interest in getting along with people and not creating conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I believe they've done away with them now, but I took a timed 2ish hour test (along with about 300 other people) to see if I qualified for an interview. About 2 months after this, I was called for an interview (if you cannot make it, they accommodate with a phone interview). The interview was fairly standard - name your strenghts, name your weaknesses, give an example of a time you worked well with a team, give an example of a time you figured out a new process. I clearly remember them saying "do you think you could do this job", which seemed like a bit of a red flag - like maybe they weren't very selective in their rating of the questions...

Interview Questions

• The interview was fairly easy and no-nonsense. The interviewers didn't seem interested in chatting or getting to know me, it was more "get in, get out". (which, after working as a manager there for over a year, I've come to know is because they have LOADS of interviews to do)   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is a public job, there was no negotiation, and a set start date.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

I was contacted via phone about a month and a half after sending my application materials. Unable to reach me initially, they left a message offering to discuss the position with me and instructing me to call back before the end of the following day due to a tight time frame they were working on. I called back the following day, was given a brief description of the position, and scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. I was also informed that I should expect the whole interview process to last about 2.5 hours. The interview itself started off with a tour of the building before settling in an interview room, where I provided my identification/citizenship documents (driver's license, passport, Social Security card, Birth Certificate, Selective Service Registration card, resume, transcript, and contact information for references). I was asked to fill out a questionnaire with some common interview questions ("What are your strengths/weaknesses?") and some specific to this position ("Would you be willing to train in a classroom setting for approximately 8 months before starting?" Then a second interviewer came in to ask verbally a few more common behavioral questions ("Describe a time when...How did you deal?"). I then met and talked with someone currently in the position I was interviewing for to get a perspective on what I'd be doing. Some last follow-up questions about the logistics of starting if/when I was offered the position and I was fingerprinted, then excused and told to expect a phone call. Two weeks later I was contacted via phone (did not reach me) and then via email to be offered the position.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were typical for an interview, with a focus on behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied through usajobs.gov in mid July and was call for an interview on 1st of August at Jamaica SSA Center in NY. Interview went really good (it took about 3 hrs). At the end i did the fingerprints and week after i was contacted by the interviewer for additional information verification (references) and since then nothing yet. I am kind of worried 😁. Did anyone went for an interview the same time as me and was offered or denied?

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with difficult person, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Kansas City, MO) in September 2013.

Interview

The interview process is relatively simply. You will be asked 8-9 questions. 6 of which are based on past behavior. These questions will ask for examples of when you disagreed with a manger and how did you work through it, a time where you were forced to deal with an unexpected problem and how did you solve it, a situation in which you worked on a task or project with people who are from different backgrounds that yours. The important thing to remember in government interviews is STAR, Base your answers on Situation, Task, Analysis, and Results. Each question and scenario must detail these things. You are given points based on this and if you fail to answer parts of the question then you will be dinged for it. A good way to know if you are answering these questions right is to make sure the interviewers are writing on all parts of the paper that they take notes on. The remaining 3 questions that they will ask are behavioral and cannot be studied for. They are trying to determine how you will react in a certain situation for instance. What you do if a caller was suicidal? Overall the interview is pretty easy as long as you prepare your answers ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were forced to work with people who are different of you. What was the scenario? What was the action that needed accomplished? How did you resolve the issue? and What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You either quality for a grade level or you don't.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

After taking an exam I was invited to be interviewed by two people. The questions were not all easy to answer but in no way was it a stress interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness and what have you done to improve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The Social Security Administration usually likes to hire from campuses. In the New York City area, they do a lot of hiring from St. John's University, Queens College and Stony Brook. Hiring managers appear at the job fairs to accept resumes. They hire people of all majors and backgrounds. In the summer, they will send potential candidates an email inviting them to take a test in one of the Federal buildings in Manhattan. They also include sample questions and answers for the test. As long as you understand the sample questions, the test actual test is very easy. If you pass the test, they'll call you to tell you that you passed and they'll invite you to an interview. The interview session is pretty lengthy because you'll be meeting with multiple people. The interview is very casual and they do most of the talking, explaining what the job entails.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They let me choose two start dates, as there were two batches of new benefit authorizer trainees. This varies every hiring phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Birmingham, AL) in February 2010.

Interview

Not very difficult. Fair at best. The questions were not hard to answer. They were interesting questions that you have to think about in order to give the best answer possible. Some of the questions were about personal experiences and the way you handled them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations