Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.1

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Claims Representative Interview

Do NOT bother applying if you are NOT a Veteran. I read all of the reviews on glassdoor and applied through USAJOBS. This job was posted as a (recent grad) position which means that anyone with a college degree has a chance. I have solid work experience and was expecting to at least get a chance for an interview. No response back after a month so I called the contact person on the online application to get feedback. She was very nice and stated that "You have not been selected to be interviewed nor do you have any chance of getting an interview as all of the candidates selected for the interviews are Veterans. They get priority". I understand that I was not selected for the interview as there may of been better qualified people but having ALL Veterans get interviews only for their status means they don't care if you have an education as long as you were a Veteran. Good luck to all of us when we need Social Security Benefits/Claims.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

It was a 3 person panel.
    Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized.
    This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next.
    The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are.
    Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions.
    You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular.
    You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying.
    Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does.
      They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to.
      Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.

View Answer

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online at USAjobs.gov in Dec 2014 got called for interview in a month. Met with two people, they were very nice but I couldn't get a read off them as to how I did. Still waiting for reply

Interview Questions
    • They asked mainly behavioral questions. Give an example of a stressful suituation and how did you handle it.
      Name a time you and another employee had a conflict.

Answer Question
    • Gave me a passage to read for 5 min them asked me to explain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2015.

I had a panel of 2. In jersey City. The questions were basic opm questions About deadlines, accomplishments and difficult situations. They took lot's of notes. No offer yet, but i was fingerprinted and they called my references. The panel was nice, we had some very funny moments.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest thing you've ever had to do?
      Tell me a time when you didn't accomplish a goal. Tell me a difficult coworker situation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2015.

After requested documents were collected, I was interviewed by two managers. They gave a description of the job and explained the interview process which includes going through scenarios a claims representative may face on the job, like a role play to demonstrate how I would handle the situation. Some interview questions include describe a time you had to deal with an irate customer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to help an irate customer.
      What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Applied on usajobs.gov back in December 2014 the process took about 1 1/2 months to be contact by SSA (the interview process) at Social SECURITY Administration was three hours common questions that was asked are behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you were in and how you handle the situation and what was the overall outcome. Was then told about the position and what to except in a daily work atmosphere at Social Security   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied online at USA jobs, got referred within a week for a position at Fremont office. Scheduled an interview. They were right on time, 8 p.m EST, three people took started off by introducing themselves. Went very well, At times when they go silent, don't panic coz they're usually writing or preparing to ask the next question. I would wait for a response from them and update soon.
    The interviewers were very nice and patient after a long day of interviewing people, they said they have 4 more days to do it.
    I told them how i was getting back on my feet after being a stay at home mom for three years and they totally appreciated it that i was giving my time to my daughter.

Interview Questions
    • They Asked about 8 or 9 questions out of which some were occupational questions where they wanted me to relate the answer to a situation i've experienced at my job. Here are some questions they asked:
      1- Tell us about a situation where u overcame a challenge at work. They wanted me to really elaborate on it.
      2- How do u handle a stressful situation or tell us of a time when u experienced the most strew?
      3- Tell us of a time where you had a hard time communicating with your co-worker.
      4- Tell us about a time when you received a project and how did you plan it.
      5- A couple who is claiming to be married can show wat document to prove it.
      6- Tell us of a situation where you had a hard time communicating
      7-In the passed if you missed a deadline to submit a report or project. How did you handle it.
      8- Tell us about the most difficult decision in your life and how do you feel about it. Did you take advice from someone. (this could be personal or professional)
      9- This last question really made me ask if it was a real question. They asked what if the one thing i think i am a pro at, and if i have to teach it to them, how would i do it. This could be anything; ur hobby, cooking, baking, crafts, anything.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I had to apply online. I was contacted about two weeks after the posting was closed. Prior to the interview, I was given a form to fill out asking about the basic programs Social Security offers. The interview was conducted by three people- a manager & two supervisors. They asked me about my work experience, education and if I had experience dealing with the public. The interview lasted aboutan hour. I was contacted teo months later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how I would help a customer in another language. I told them that at my prior employer, we used a phone service that provides interpreters so if that option was available at SSA, I would do the same. However, if not, I would try to find a bilingual coworker for assistance.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Salary is ranked based on education & work experience. Masters degree applicants had the highest available starting salary at about 50k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question
    The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.