Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov

Social Security Administration Contact Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2014

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume via USAJobs, was emailed saying that my information was referred to the agency, about three weeks later I received a call to set up an interview. The interview started with them telling me about the job benefits and pay, and a few warm up questions about my personality traits. After that, the interview was a panel interview with round robin behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Fairly straightforward questions, the only one I had to think about for a few seconds was to tell of a time that I had to deal with someone that was from a different background than I was that had conflicting view points and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Contact Representative

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this position in February 2014

I received a call last week (Mid April) from the administration informing me about the position opening and my referrals acceptance (this is from a pathways recent graduate offering from U.S.A Jobs). We set up an interview for yesterday over the phone. The interview consisted of three phases - First, one gentleman informed me about the position duties and asked if I had any questions, this took about fifteen minutes. Next, another gentleman asked me a series of behavioral based interview questions, this took between 10 and 20 minutes. Finally, a lady conducted a portion of the interview that required me to navigate the SSA.gov website and answer a few questions as if they were a caller. They then said that was all they needed, asked if I had any questions, and informed me that the recruiting team would be contacting me in a few days to let me know the decision either way.

About an hour after the interview I received a call in which they informed me that they would be sending me a fingerprint test in order to conduct a background check.

Interview Question – The behavioral questions are somewhat difficult if you are offered a situation that you can only loosely relate to. I cannot recall the specific questions and do not want to be misleading   Answer Question

Springfield, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2014.

Interview Details – Resume was submitted through a third party. I received a call the same day my resume was received, (not typical). Interview was set for four days out from that date. Upon arrival you musts sign a document regarding criminal past, delinquent federally subsidized loans etc.. The interview was conducted by the Area Director, His second and another manager. It was a somewhat relaxing atmosphere and the interviewers do their best to make you feel at ease. The interview was divided into 3 parts. First they ask about you with questions about your past work experience. They also asked what I knew about Social Security and what the administration does. Second they ask behavioral interview questions in a round robin style, each person asking a question in turn. Be prepared for this. If unfamiliar with these, research them. It is a big part of the interview. Lastly, they give you something to read and familiarize yourself with. They then role play a client and you must use the info to correctly handle the situation. After the interview is concluded they told me I would hear back from them in 3-4 weeks. If I was selected for the job, I would come in for full background check, fingerprinting etc. I am still waiting to hear back. It has been just about 3 weeks.

Interview Question – I did my homework and was prepared for all the questions asked. I researched Social Security and matched real life scenarios with all possible types of behavioral interview questions prior to the interview. I recommend you do the same.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

Interview Details – At the time I applied there were 4 supervisor asking general questions, some leading to personal questions. Then for the phone a supervisor calls and acts as a client and they see how you handle the client.

Interview Question – If you were going to a concernt to hear your favorite group somewhere far, and its during work schedule, you would you go to the concert or show up for work?   View Answer

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in September 2009.

Interview Details – The environment is pretty relaxed, mostly female and usually friendly Just be honest and speak in a conversational tone. You will probably interview with the Operation Supervisor and District Manager. Relay how much you like or believe in public service and helping people.

Interview Question – You will probably be given a writing sample and scenario-based question to solve. Name a time you had to deal with a difficult person, client, or customer and how did you handle it?

What is your customer service approach, when dealing with diverse members of the public?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – This is entry level job, get the experience and federal entry gateway, then move on or up asap.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview consist of 2 managers asking situation questions. Basic questions like customer service, strength/ weakness. Have your references ready because they will call. Be ready to get finger-printed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – If you are unclear about the salary schedule, ask questions.

Contact Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

Interview Details – I weas calle after I applied. There was a phone interview with apanel. They asked about 8 challening questions. Some were situational.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strenghts and weaknesses?   View Answer
  • What are your greatest 3 accomplishments?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I knew what the sdalary was and I accepted it.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!