Social Security Administration

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.8

Contact Representative Interview

The process was fairly easy, interviewed by two people, they both asked behavioral based questions. The interview lasted about an hour. They both explain the job title detail very well. Overall positive experience

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you had a co-worker with different work values to you.   Answer Question
    GS 5

Contact Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2015.

I received a referral from a friend who already works there. It was a VRA hire. Sent my application packet and received a call back a couple of days later. I was sent a pre-employment packet and had a couple of days to complete it. Got a call from the Atlanta office with their credentialing an then was scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty brief and was told that they are hoping to finish the on-boarding stuff by the end of february.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked me 3 questions after explaining what the job duties are. What are your experience in dealing with the public (job duties)? Have you ever experienced when a customer was upset what did you do? How have you handle conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online, and did an over-the-phone interview which ran for about an hour and a half. Two interviewers took turns asking different questions, which included anything from behavioral-based questions to those that require you to explain your experiences.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me ten minutes to prepare a long lecture-type speech in which I have to explain any topic of my choice to someone who is not knowledgeable in that particular field.   Answer Question

Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in December 2014.

Was interviewed by 2 men who had a notebook in front of them asking me questions out of the book. All performance based questions, i.e., tell me about a time when, what did you do, how did you handle it. Then had to read a paragraph and was asked questions assuming a client came into the office how would I handle the situation based on the facts I read. Then had to role play, assume a client came in was sick and need SSID for 6 months, what would I do. After that the office manager came in asking me questions.

After that I asked when where they hiring and was told there were no openings but the interview was based on an anticipated opening in the second quarter. At the end was asked to submit my references. Rather frustrating.

Interview Questions
    • I had read a list of the various types of performance based questions so was pretty prepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

I believe they've done away with them now, but I took a timed 2ish hour test (along with about 300 other people) to see if I qualified for an interview. About 2 months after this, I was called for an interview (if you cannot make it, they accommodate with a phone interview). The interview was fairly standard - name your strenghts, name your weaknesses, give an example of a time you worked well with a team, give an example of a time you figured out a new process. I clearly remember them saying "do you think you could do this job", which seemed like a bit of a red flag - like maybe they weren't very selective in their rating of the questions...

Interview Questions
    • The interview was fairly easy and no-nonsense. The interviewers didn't seem interested in chatting or getting to know me, it was more "get in, get out". (which, after working as a manager there for over a year, I've come to know is because they have LOADS of interviews to do)   Answer Question
    This is a public job, there was no negotiation, and a set start date.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I was contacted via phone about a month and a half after sending my application materials. Unable to reach me initially, they left a message offering to discuss the position with me and instructing me to call back before the end of the following day due to a tight time frame they were working on. I called back the following day, was given a brief description of the position, and scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. I was also informed that I should expect the whole interview process to last about 2.5 hours.

The interview itself started off with a tour of the building before settling in an interview room, where I provided my identification/citizenship documents (driver's license, passport, Social Security card, Birth Certificate, Selective Service Registration card, resume, transcript, and contact information for references). I was asked to fill out a questionnaire with some common interview questions ("What are your strengths/weaknesses?") and some specific to this position ("Would you be willing to train in a classroom setting for approximately 8 months before starting?" Then a second interviewer came in to ask verbally a few more common behavioral questions ("Describe a time when...How did you deal?"). I then met and talked with someone currently in the position I was interviewing for to get a perspective on what I'd be doing. Some last follow-up questions about the logistics of starting if/when I was offered the position and I was fingerprinted, then excused and told to expect a phone call.

Two weeks later I was contacted via phone (did not reach me) and then via email to be offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were typical for an interview, with a focus on behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Social Security Administration in September 2014.

I applied for the contact represtitive back im March and was contacted for an interview 3 months later. When I went to the interview I was fretted and given a quick introduction about the position and then was given a rundown of the agenda for the day. I was then take to where I would be interviewed. It was by 2 people and after the interview I went to get fingerprinted and that was it. I was told I would be contacted soon.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to face adversity and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in seven years?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a rude customer? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online, was notifed I was referred a week after closing, was called for an phone interview two weeks later then an in person interview a week later. 5 months later was called to proceed with the background check, if background clears then will get an official offer from HR. Interview was easy but has been a very slow process.

Interview Questions
    • How do you comunicate with a individual who comes in and doesn't speak english and how do you idientify what language he/she may be speaking?   Answer Question
    Still waiting on the offical offer from HR but was told will be selected when background check clears.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question

Legal Administrative Specialist (Benefit Authorizer) (Recent Graduates) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

I applied online on July 10. I got a phone call on Aug 25 to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Aug 27. The interviewer asked me to fill out brief verification paperworks and a questionnaire. The interviewed requested a copy of my resume and list of references. Additionally, the manager discussed about the position in detail. Discussed about possible growth within the company and the work environment. The training session will take approximately 8 months.

I was taken to speak to a current employee to give me a brief rundown of how a regular work day is for him/her. It was very enjoyable and helped me better understand the position.

The interviewer contacted my references the following day on Aug 28. The interviewer told me that they are in the process of hiring 17-20 employees and that if I don't hear back the end of September then I am not selected. They would like to begin the training session in October.

At the end of the interview, they brought me to finger print and all else was fine. Overall, the process took around 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • I was interviewed with two panelists (Managers). There were 8-9 questions and are mainly situational questions on how you'll handle when something goes wrong while assisting with a client. The questions were brief. You are to answer using your past/present personal experience or something you encountered in school or current work. If they take a lot of notes then that is good news.   Answer Question