Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.9

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a panel interview. The interviewers each took turns asking me a series of questions. The only negative experience I can recall was having to wait for my interview (which I was on time for) because another candidate showed up late. This was my first-panel interview, so initially I was overwhelmed. After a few minutes, I noticed that it was no harder than an interview conducted by one person. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your manager insists you are performing the job incorrectly when in fact you are not?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2015.

Interview

Relaxed setting, interviewed by a three person panel. Briefly introduced me to the position and what a typical work day would be, as well as salary info. Mostly hypothetical questions and general personality questions. I saw a posting on Facebook that they were hiring for the position, sent my resume via e-mail, the contacted me immediately and I had my interview two days later. Everyone was very nice and made me feel welcome. They also expressed a sincere desire to help their clients, which made me want to work there even more. I just did the interview today, so I will update later on whether or not they offer me the position. They said I should hear within two weeks. A little background is that I have no professional work or military experience. Recent college grad with bachelor's degree in the health and human services field. At the end of the interview I was told that I did really well and that they are only interviewing a few people for the position, which makes me feel a little more confident considering my lack of experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions already listed in the other reviews. Department store return, short-handed gas station hypothetical with the perishable truck outside, what information would you ask for to determine if someone is the real biological father of a child? The last question threw me for a second, I asked for a genetic test but I think they were more looking for birth certificate and things like that lol.   Answer Question

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied 4/9/15, went in to test on 5/6, interviewed on 6/9, and was offered the job on 7/2. I did not accept it, as I applied for and am being considered for higher grade positions now. It is hard to know the exact grade and amount you will be considered for, but when you find out, you can filter your search to the lowest amount you will accept.

I was told only 15% of the people who took the test in May passed it. It contained a discrete Vocabulary section (if you did not know the definition of these words, you just didn't know, as there were no sample sentences or context clues), Verbal Reasoning section (with very confusing answer choices), and a Math section (with detailed multi-step questions with no calculator available). Even the best of the best will probably run out of time and have to bubble in anything, as there were 30 minutes for 25 questions in each section.

Interview Questions

• They asked for examples of specific scenarios, like when a supervisor had you do their job instead of yours at the time, or when you had to deal with an unruly customer, etc.

I interviewed with 2 people at once and then was taken to get fingerprinted (to start that process in the interim, I guess).

My references were checked the next week, then I was offered the position a couple of weeks later, but asked to leave my current job in less than 2 weeks' notice.

Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2015.

Interview

It was typical of what I would expect when interviewing for a federal position with direct contact with the public. The panel interview was done over the phone and I believe the reason for that is because they wanted to see how clear you spoke, how you sound over the phone when asked a question, etc.

Interview Questions

• What qualities and attributes do you have that would contribute to your success in this job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Teleservice Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 managers in a panel style interview. 7 to 8 questions asked in which they took turns reading off a paper to ask. After that they left the room for a second and came back. I was the escorted up stairs for finger printing. 2 weeks later I was called for the position. My references were not called.

Interview Questions

• Name time where you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations available

Service Representative () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I was referred by a university official as a great placement candidate for institutional work study/intern for the local Social Security Office. An appointment for an interview was scheduled with the office manager. Typical interview questions were asked. Nothing fancy. I think I was immediately offered the job based on my referral.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in Mid Feb 2015. Received interview notice via a call and email. Scheduled for interview April 7th via telephone; submitted prints and documents by the 11th; received notice a few days later that documents were received, Still waiting for potential offer. Interview took 1hr and was a panel of 2 people. They were nice and took a few mins in between the questions to take notes.

Interview Questions

• Situational and some behavioral questions: describe a time when.... strength and weakness   Answer Question

Legal Assistant (Senior Case Technician) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Antonio, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online through USAJobs.gov. I noticed that the status said that I was referred. Received a call for an interview about a month later. Interviewed on April 20th and brought in two fingerprint cards and college transcript. Received a follow-up email on May 7th stating that I made it to round 2 and needed to get direct telephone numbers for my references. Have not heard back from them since then.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oregon City, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Oregon City, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Was contacted a day after the job closed and informed of an interview the coming Tuesday. Was contacted for a phone interview and the first question asked was why did I choose to apply for a job in Oregon. There were two interviewers and it lasted about 45 mins. Was told that they still had a week of interviews and that because of the number of applicants only the individuals chosen for the position would be contacted.

Interview Questions

• take 5 minutes to think of something that you do very well or know a lot about and then explain it to us   Answer Question
    • tell us about a time where you had a difficult customer and it went well?
      Didn't end well?