Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a panel interview. The interviewers each took turns asking me a series of questions. The only negative experience I can recall was having to wait for my interview (which I was on time for) because another candidate showed up late. This was my first-panel interview, so initially I was overwhelmed. After a few minutes, I noticed that it was no harder than an interview conducted by one person. Overall, a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your manager insists you are performing the job incorrectly when in fact you are not?   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Wilkes-Barre, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov. took about 1 month received a phone for an interview. Panel interview with a mock call and computer test. Was asked 4 questions. Very relaxed environment. Took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about the social security administration   1 Answer
    • why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • think of a time at work or home that u had to make a difficult decision   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Legal Assistant, Case Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Dayton, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

Three panel interview, no difficult questions, lasted about half an hour. Have yet to hear back from them, but I'm not waiting around, I have already started to search for other jobs.

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Bellevue, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was quick and painless. There were not any trick questions. The questions were mainly questions about how you deal with pressure and how you would deal with an upset customer.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of a challenge you had to overcome??   Answer Question

Humans Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

Three person panel, each person questioned you. Asked performance based questions. Focused on MSPB and arbitration experience. Each person was very friendly and they also asked me for a writing sample before the conclusion. I am a federal employee and they questioned me about that experience too.

Interview Questions

• Having a union background, do you think you could think from management's perspective?   1 Answer

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied 4/9/15, went in to test on 5/6, interviewed on 6/9, and was offered the job on 7/2. I did not accept it, as I applied for and am being considered for higher grade positions now. It is hard to know the exact grade and amount you will be considered for, but when you find out, you can filter your search to the lowest amount you will accept. I was told only 15% of the people who took the test in May passed it. It contained a discrete Vocabulary section (if you did not know the definition of these words, you just didn't know, as there were no sample sentences or context clues), Verbal Reasoning section (with very confusing answer choices), and a Math section (with detailed multi-step questions with no calculator available). Even the best of the best will probably run out of time and have to bubble in anything, as there were 30 minutes for 25 questions in each section.

Interview Questions

• They asked for examples of specific scenarios, like when a supervisor had you do their job instead of yours at the time, or when you had to deal with an unruly customer, etc. I interviewed with 2 people at once and then was taken to get fingerprinted (to start that process in the interim, I guess). My references were checked the next week, then I was offered the position a couple of weeks later, but asked to leave my current job in less than 2 weeks' notice.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Tampa, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Panel Interview with Two Individuals with questions moving from one to another and in a closing question I was asked a specific question related to SSA applications with three possible answers.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with a customer who is highly upset? How would you deal with a complex issue that your client may not understand?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2015.

Interview

It was typical of what I would expect when interviewing for a federal position with direct contact with the public. The panel interview was done over the phone and I believe the reason for that is because they wanted to see how clear you spoke, how you sound over the phone when asked a question, etc.

Interview Questions

• What qualities and attributes do you have that would contribute to your success in this job?   Answer Question

Teleservice Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 managers in a panel style interview. 7 to 8 questions asked in which they took turns reading off a paper to ask. After that they left the room for a second and came back. I was the escorted up stairs for finger printing. 2 weeks later I was called for the position. My references were not called.

Interview Questions

• Name time where you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations available

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Woodlawn, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I received an email stating all the interview details. I was interviewed by two gentleman, they were very nice and made me feel very comfortable through out the interview. The whole process seemed relatively easy.

Interview Questions

• The normal interview questions were asked such as what are you strengths and weaknesses and behavioral scenarios. The one question I was not prepared to answer was, is there anything else I should have asked you? It caught me off guard and I would suggest preparing to answer that question. I did read about it in one of the interview reviews but I honestly did not think it would come up.   Answer Question