Social Security Administration

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.9

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2015.

After requested documents were collected, I was interviewed by two managers. They gave a description of the job and explained the interview process which includes going through scenarios a claims representative may face on the job, like a role play to demonstrate how I would handle the situation. Some interview questions include describe a time you had to deal with an irate customer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to help an irate customer.
      What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?

Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online, and did an over-the-phone interview which ran for about an hour and a half. Two interviewers took turns asking different questions, which included anything from behavioral-based questions to those that require you to explain your experiences.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me ten minutes to prepare a long lecture-type speech in which I have to explain any topic of my choice to someone who is not knowledgeable in that particular field.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Phone interview took nearly 30 minutes. I was interviewed by a panel of three people. The first two asked questions about my experiences, why I wanted to leave my current position and what I would do in certain situations. The third person played the role of a customer who was calling in to SSA.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer who insists on talking about his/her personal problems and you know that there are other customers waiting to be assisted.   View Answer

Technical Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2010.

I applied for a Technical support technitian positions on line and about a month and a half later I received a call from an HR person at the Social Security Administration for a job interview. The interview consisted of two persons asking behavioral types questions, the questions are not straight forward because there is no real right or wrong answer but you have to draw on your own experience. For example, how you deal with a complex problem? How do you figure out how to take a risky decision? etc.
    The people were extremely nice and spend a great deal of time talking about the benefits of working for the organization.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with a complex problem? Describe your methodology?   View Answer
    • Describe a time in your life when you had to make a risky decision, how did you go about it?   View Answer

Claims Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2010.

I interviewed by phone with several people. Although some of the questions were difficult and challenging, the people were very friendly and answered my questions thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you are able to manage stressful situations and juggle multiple priorities at the same time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

The interview consist of 2 managers asking situation questions. Basic questions like customer service, strength/ weakness. Have your references ready because they will call. Be ready to get finger-printed.

Interview Questions
    If you are unclear about the salary schedule, ask questions.

Program Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2009.

interview was approximately 1 hour in length and conducted by the deputy director. asked about my background and then scenario based questions on how i resolve conflicts, deal with time constraints, and ensure accountability.

the lead interviewer was accompanied by a HR specialist who was more approachable and encouraging. The hiring process also involved a 30 minute essay test. The purpose was to determine your creativity. The topic was "how do make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

Interview Questions
    • how do you deal with difficult people who present you with a conflict they want resolved?   View Answer
    base salary is pre-determined by pay scale in the occupational series you apply for. see the OPM federal salary plan for your pay. there is no negotiation and only locality pay accounts for differences.

Contact Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

I weas calle after I applied. There was a phone interview with apanel. They asked about 8 challening questions. Some were situational.

Interview Questions
    • What are your greatest strenghts and weaknesses?   View Answer
    • What are your greatest 3 accomplishments?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I knew what the sdalary was and I accepted it.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2010.

The aptitude test was very difficult and I understood that out of 240 people taking it, only 40 people passed it. The interview was much harder. They gave me the wrong office number (I think on purpose) and there was no one in the lobby to redirect me and they were not listed on the plaque of offices either. Then, when I got there four people were in the room. There was one who was totally silent, one good cop, one bad cop, and one who tried to illicit responses. All took notes. Bad cop pounced on me right out of the gate making me believe that I should show no empathy with SSI applicants - then, at the end one did a poor acting job as a turned down applicant and I was supposed to respond. It was all a sham. They also ask what do you do if someone who is repeatedly turned down for SSI and threatens to commit suicide to you? What do you do if you work in a gas station and there is a non-perishable food delivery out back, a long line of customers, you need to call another worker to come help - in what order do you deal with this? Many silly questions, and they were passing inside jokes after I gave some of my answers- don't ever say that you will send a memo out to communicate something with coworkers- they really joked about that. I felt like I had been through some type of strange psychological experiment when it was done, and I don't think I would want to work for any of the people in that room, except for maybe the bad actor. I imagine it is a good job, but SSA is going broke quickly- it may only be a five or ten year job anyway.

Interview Questions
    • If someone who is repeatedly turned down for benefits and threaten to commit suicide, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • A client with three kids d who are behaving wildly cannot pay attention to what you are telling him/her, what do you do?   Answer Question