Social Security Administration

2.8

Technical Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2010.

I applied for a Technical support technitian positions on line and about a month and a half later I received a call from an HR person at the Social Security Administration for a job interview. The interview consisted of two persons asking behavioral types questions, the questions are not straight forward because there is no real right or wrong answer but you have to draw on your own experience. For example, how you deal with a complex problem? How do you figure out how to take a risky decision? etc.
    The people were extremely nice and spend a great deal of time talking about the benefits of working for the organization.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with a complex problem? Describe your methodology?   View Answer
    • Describe a time in your life when you had to make a risky decision, how did you go about it?   View Answer

Claims Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2010.

I interviewed by phone with several people. Although some of the questions were difficult and challenging, the people were very friendly and answered my questions thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you are able to manage stressful situations and juggle multiple priorities at the same time.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

The interview consist of 2 managers asking situation questions. Basic questions like customer service, strength/ weakness. Have your references ready because they will call. Be ready to get finger-printed.

Interview Questions
    If you are unclear about the salary schedule, ask questions.

Program Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2009.

interview was approximately 1 hour in length and conducted by the deputy director. asked about my background and then scenario based questions on how i resolve conflicts, deal with time constraints, and ensure accountability.

the lead interviewer was accompanied by a HR specialist who was more approachable and encouraging. The hiring process also involved a 30 minute essay test. The purpose was to determine your creativity. The topic was "how do make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

Interview Questions
    • how do you deal with difficult people who present you with a conflict they want resolved?   View Answer
    base salary is pre-determined by pay scale in the occupational series you apply for. see the OPM federal salary plan for your pay. there is no negotiation and only locality pay accounts for differences.

Contact Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

I weas calle after I applied. There was a phone interview with apanel. They asked about 8 challening questions. Some were situational.

Interview Questions
    • What are your greatest strenghts and weaknesses?   View Answer
    • What are your greatest 3 accomplishments?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I knew what the sdalary was and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2010.

The aptitude test was very difficult and I understood that out of 240 people taking it, only 40 people passed it. The interview was much harder. They gave me the wrong office number (I think on purpose) and there was no one in the lobby to redirect me and they were not listed on the plaque of offices either. Then, when I got there four people were in the room. There was one who was totally silent, one good cop, one bad cop, and one who tried to illicit responses. All took notes. Bad cop pounced on me right out of the gate making me believe that I should show no empathy with SSI applicants - then, at the end one did a poor acting job as a turned down applicant and I was supposed to respond. It was all a sham. They also ask what do you do if someone who is repeatedly turned down for SSI and threatens to commit suicide to you? What do you do if you work in a gas station and there is a non-perishable food delivery out back, a long line of customers, you need to call another worker to come help - in what order do you deal with this? Many silly questions, and they were passing inside jokes after I gave some of my answers- don't ever say that you will send a memo out to communicate something with coworkers- they really joked about that. I felt like I had been through some type of strange psychological experiment when it was done, and I don't think I would want to work for any of the people in that room, except for maybe the bad actor. I imagine it is a good job, but SSA is going broke quickly- it may only be a five or ten year job anyway.

Interview Questions
    • If someone who is repeatedly turned down for benefits and threaten to commit suicide, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • A client with three kids d who are behaving wildly cannot pay attention to what you are telling him/her, what do you do?   Answer Question

Claims Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

Background check, panel interview, offer

Claims Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2012.

Apply online, phone interview and group interview

Salary was set. No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2009.

I originally was an intern for two colleges during the summer. When I graduated I asked about potential openings and was notified they were hiring.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you have faced, and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as salaries are set by the union and federal government.

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Submitted application on USA Jobs website, the annoucement closed early as they had received enough applications. Waited 4 weeks from the close of the annoucement and received a call for an interview. Went on interview and the interview is intense.

Interview Questions
    • Described a difficult decision you had to make, and describe how you came to a decision?   Answer Question