Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

Attorney Advisor Interview

Interview

I am a consultant in public administration. I run the procedure for issuing residence permits to foreigners in the country.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Emailed my resume. Was contacted within 2 weeks. Interview by a panel of 3. Was called by director day of first interview who asked if I wanted to be considered for another position she thought I'd be perfect for. I agreed and was invited for the second interview . Had the second interview 2 weeks ago and was told they are still interviewing.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were great because they were challenging. "Tell ,me of a time your strength helped you with a project and consequently tell me of a time when your lack of strength in an area was detrimental to a project"   Answer Question

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Clifton, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position 12/2014. Called back for an interview 02/2015. Finger printed the same day. Interview process lasted about an hour and a half. Interviewed by two individuals. Documents were referred to hiring officials, but not selected at the time. No explanation provided for non selection.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a stressful time in your life, and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Interview

Do NOT bother applying if you are NOT a Veteran. I read all of the reviews on glassdoor and applied through USAJOBS. This job was posted as a (recent grad) position which means that anyone with a college degree has a chance. I have solid work experience and was expecting to at least get a chance for an interview. No response back after a month so I called the contact person on the online application to get feedback. She was very nice and stated that "You have not been selected to be interviewed nor do you have any chance of getting an interview as all of the candidates selected for the interviews are Veterans. They get priority". I understand that I was not selected for the interview as there may of been better qualified people but having ALL Veterans get interviews only for their status means they don't care if you have an education as long as you were a Veteran. Good luck to all of us when we need Social Security Benefits/Claims.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed setting. Panel of 3 people with 6 questions each. I was well prepared for the questions, and the interview lasted 20 minutes. I asked about when I would hear back from the panel, and they said it could be a few months because of budgeting issues.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you needed to use EQ. Give three words that describe who you are. How do resolve conflict? Where do you see yourself in five years. Tell us something about yourself. What drew you to apply to the SSA?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a 3 person panel. Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized. This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next. The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are. Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions. You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular. You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does. They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to. Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and then called in for an interview. Before the interview they go through the process and tell you how many people you will be meeting with and what kind of questions there will be. They take a lot of notes but they are looking for specific answers to the questions they ask. They are really nice and just ask you the questions that are written on their interview booklet. I was interviewed by two district managers. One was really friendly and the other was nonchalant, but both were very kind.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions: name a time you dealt with a difficult situation, coworker, customer   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2015.

Interview

I received a referral from a friend who already works there. It was a VRA hire. Sent my application packet and received a call back a couple of days later. I was sent a pre-employment packet and had a couple of days to complete it. Got a call from the Atlanta office with their credentialing an then was scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty brief and was told that they are hoping to finish the on-boarding stuff by the end of february.

Interview Questions

• They only asked me 3 questions after explaining what the job duties are. What are your experience in dealing with the public (job duties)? Have you ever experienced when a customer was upset what did you do? How have you handle conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queens Village, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Queens Village, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call from an interview scheduler 6 weeks later. Interviewed by the panel of just 2 people. Have a positive impression about an interview and a shocking experience with the decision which I received by email 4 weeks later. It states: You are ineligible because you have not successfully demonstrated the ability to meet and deal with the general public and have received an unacceptable rating from the meet and deal interview panel. This decision could not be based on any of my answers. The only explanation for this statement – the personal dislike for ant reason.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, behavioral questions. Example: 1. You are interviewing a mother with 3 kids and kids are extremely noisy and destructive. How would you deal with this situation? 2. You have completed an interview but the interviewed person is not leaving and continues to talk to you. What will you do? 3. A person is complaining that she applied several times did not received her benefits. She states that she may attempt to commit suicide if her case will not be resolved. What will you do?   Answer Question

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question