Social Security Administration

2.8

Attorney Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

Average hiring and interview process: submitted resume, received phone call from regional HR, call from local hr, set up interview, met with interviewer, adequately comprehensive interview. The interviewer, who was an office administrator, asked about my experience, which directly related to what they needed. I was hired and started working within about one month of my original submission of my resume.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any particularly difficult or unexpected questions. Nothing inappropriate.   View Answer
    The pay is set under a federal standard, so there wasn't any negotiation.

Law Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

The interview was a phone interview with one attorney and two HR people. The interviewers were relatively friendly. The questions were all being read from a standard form, and the attorney interviewer only followed up on one of my answers with his own question. Be prepared for some awkward silences because after answering a question, the interviewers silently take notes for up to a minute. Several of the questions seemed slightly repetitive, and several of the questions did not seem to relate much to the skills needed for the position. Most of the questions were behavioral. The interview lasted for approximately a half hour, which included a description of the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to talk about a time when I had difficulty working with a superior.   Answer Question

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2012.

Interview process is fine. There were two people that called me on the phone at different time,to ask me some technical questions. I answered them as best as I can. They all love the way I answered them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

I believe they've done away with them now, but I took a timed 2ish hour test (along with about 300 other people) to see if I qualified for an interview. About 2 months after this, I was called for an interview (if you cannot make it, they accommodate with a phone interview). The interview was fairly standard - name your strenghts, name your weaknesses, give an example of a time you worked well with a team, give an example of a time you figured out a new process. I clearly remember them saying "do you think you could do this job", which seemed like a bit of a red flag - like maybe they weren't very selective in their rating of the questions...

Interview Questions
    • The interview was fairly easy and no-nonsense. The interviewers didn't seem interested in chatting or getting to know me, it was more "get in, get out". (which, after working as a manager there for over a year, I've come to know is because they have LOADS of interviews to do)   Answer Question
    This is a public job, there was no negotiation, and a set start date.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I was contacted via phone about a month and a half after sending my application materials. Unable to reach me initially, they left a message offering to discuss the position with me and instructing me to call back before the end of the following day due to a tight time frame they were working on. I called back the following day, was given a brief description of the position, and scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. I was also informed that I should expect the whole interview process to last about 2.5 hours.

The interview itself started off with a tour of the building before settling in an interview room, where I provided my identification/citizenship documents (driver's license, passport, Social Security card, Birth Certificate, Selective Service Registration card, resume, transcript, and contact information for references). I was asked to fill out a questionnaire with some common interview questions ("What are your strengths/weaknesses?") and some specific to this position ("Would you be willing to train in a classroom setting for approximately 8 months before starting?" Then a second interviewer came in to ask verbally a few more common behavioral questions ("Describe a time when...How did you deal?"). I then met and talked with someone currently in the position I was interviewing for to get a perspective on what I'd be doing. Some last follow-up questions about the logistics of starting if/when I was offered the position and I was fingerprinted, then excused and told to expect a phone call.

Two weeks later I was contacted via phone (did not reach me) and then via email to be offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were typical for an interview, with a focus on behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

My application was submitted internally. Received call for interview one week later. I had one interview with four interviewers. They were mainly concerned with conflict resolution skills. The interviewers were very friendly and encouraging. Overall the interview was pretty low stress.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you would handle that situation differently if it happened or do you think it is even possible?   View Answer
    no negotiation. the starting salary is set on the GS pay scale.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Social Security Administration in September 2014.

I applied for the contact represtitive back im March and was contacted for an interview 3 months later. When I went to the interview I was fretted and given a quick introduction about the position and then was given a rundown of the agenda for the day. I was then take to where I would be interviewed. It was by 2 people and after the interview I went to get fingerprinted and that was it. I was told I would be contacted soon.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to face adversity and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in seven years?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a rude customer? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Teleservice Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

The interview process was a calm atmosphere. I had two ladies interview me and they was very nice. They ask warm up questions then they ask the questions concerning the job. i have no complaints

Interview Questions
    • They had some difficulet questions but I answer them the best way i know how   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation about the salary

Legal Administrative Specialist (Benefit Authorizer) (Recent Graduates) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

I applied online on July 10. I got a phone call on Aug 25 to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Aug 27. The interviewer asked me to fill out brief verification paperworks and a questionnaire. The interviewed requested a copy of my resume and list of references. Additionally, the manager discussed about the position in detail. Discussed about possible growth within the company and the work environment. The training session will take approximately 8 months.

I was taken to speak to a current employee to give me a brief rundown of how a regular work day is for him/her. It was very enjoyable and helped me better understand the position.

The interviewer contacted my references the following day on Aug 28. The interviewer told me that they are in the process of hiring 17-20 employees and that if I don't hear back the end of September then I am not selected. They would like to begin the training session in October.

At the end of the interview, they brought me to finger print and all else was fine. Overall, the process took around 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • I was interviewed with two panelists (Managers). There were 8-9 questions and are mainly situational questions on how you'll handle when something goes wrong while assisting with a client. The questions were brief. You are to answer using your past/present personal experience or something you encountered in school or current work. If they take a lot of notes then that is good news.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question