Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.8

Senior Case Technician Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2010.

My interview lasted about an hour. The questions were mainly related to the customer service. However, the first question was: tell me something about yourself. The last question was: why should I hire you?

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any difficult questions during this interview.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Orion, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question
    The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

TSR Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Telephonic interview with three person panel. The questions consist of behavioral questions and why would you like to work for the social security administration. I was relaxed and prepared thanks to glassdoor and reviewing the ss card application.

No negotiation

Legal Assistant, Case Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

The overall process was very lengthy. I received an email for a phone interview two months after the post closed. A month later I received a call to have my background check done. A week after that I received the dreaded news that another candidate was selected.

Legal Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2014.

Received a phone call to interview with two individuals. They asked me a bunch of situational questions- i.e. have you ever, how would you handle, etc, I was asked a few things off my resume. I was then told about the position and it was stated that if I got called back for fingerprinting I was chosen for the next step. I got called back about 2 weeks later for fingerprinting and received a call with an offer for the job about 20 days later. I can tell you that the salary was lower than expected considering my education level but the benefits, flex hours and hopefully opportunity to progress made me accept.

There was no negotiation. One set salary- take it or leave it.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in September 2013.

The interview process is relatively simply. You will be asked 8-9 questions. 6 of which are based on past behavior. These questions will ask for examples of when you disagreed with a manger and how did you work through it, a time where you were forced to deal with an unexpected problem and how did you solve it, a situation in which you worked on a task or project with people who are from different backgrounds that yours. The important thing to remember in government interviews is STAR, Base your answers on Situation, Task, Analysis, and Results. Each question and scenario must detail these things. You are given points based on this and if you fail to answer parts of the question then you will be dinged for it. A good way to know if you are answering these questions right is to make sure the interviewers are writing on all parts of the paper that they take notes on. The remaining 3 questions that they will ask are behavioral and cannot be studied for. They are trying to determine how you will react in a certain situation for instance. What you do if a caller was suicidal?
    Overall the interview is pretty easy as long as you prepare your answers ahead of time.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were forced to work with people who are different of you. What was the scenario? What was the action that needed accomplished? How did you resolve the issue? and What was the result?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You either quality for a grade level or you don't.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

I had to apply online. I was contacted about two weeks after the posting was closed. Prior to the interview, I was given a form to fill out asking about the basic programs Social Security offers. The interview was conducted by three people- a manager & two supervisors. They asked me about my work experience, education and if I had experience dealing with the public. The interview lasted aboutan hour. I was contacted teo months later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how I would help a customer in another language. I told them that at my prior employer, we used a phone service that provides interpreters so if that option was available at SSA, I would do the same. However, if not, I would try to find a bilingual coworker for assistance.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Salary is ranked based on education & work experience. Masters degree applicants had the highest available starting salary at about 50k.

Claims Representative-Social Insurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

My process was a little different than what I have been reading. I went to a job fair for military vets, and was recruited by submitting my resume. I was interviewed on 6/19, packet for fingerprints given same day of Interview. 1 week after packet was sent to regional office I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a series of questions regarding g my strengths, and difficult situations during my career.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't any room for negotiation.

Attorney Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

I was called in for interview, did panel interview downtown Atlanta, called same day for follow up panel interview at local office, offered job on the spot, assuming my background cleared. I couldn't start for 2 months.