Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a 3 person panel. Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized. This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next. The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are. Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions. You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular. You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does. They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to. Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Baltimore, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

I was previously a contractor with the organization so the interview process was non-existent. A short phone interview was held with my direct manager and the division director. Very rudimentary questions were asked and were centered around salary expectations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate starting salary with proper justification.

File Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Centro, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (El Centro, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

You just sit in a office and they asked easy questions about you, for example: Are you studying? Why you want this job? Do you think you can excel in this company? Why you choose here?

Service Representative () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I was referred by a university official as a great placement candidate for institutional work study/intern for the local Social Security Office. An appointment for an interview was scheduled with the office manager. Typical interview questions were asked. Nothing fancy. I think I was immediately offered the job based on my referral.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed setting. Panel of 3 people with 6 questions each. I was well prepared for the questions, and the interview lasted 20 minutes. I asked about when I would hear back from the panel, and they said it could be a few months because of budgeting issues.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you needed to use EQ. Give three words that describe who you are. How do resolve conflict? Where do you see yourself in five years. Tell us something about yourself. What drew you to apply to the SSA?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Baltimore, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

Took several months from application to hiring. Fairly onerous set of questions. Process seemed to be geared toward screening by Personel, who then forwarded only a few prospective candidates for interviews. Interview was informal for me, but other interviews of co-workers involved 2 or more interviewers who asked pointed questions. General approach is 'by the numbers', so one should pay careful attention to the initial questions on the job questionaire (several essay style answers, etc.).

Interview Questions

• Interview was very informal and friendly. I was solicited to apply for the position, so the biggest hurdle was getting past the Personell screeners who score the initial questionaire.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, rather, simply a request to accept or decline. Very inpersonal.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Contacted by one of the supervisors for an interview. During the interview, all supervisors are present, along with the Office Director. It's a very laid back interview and you must just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember. But most of them deal with talking about yourself and where you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can't really negotiate salary because it's a position in the government, but you can negotiate your work hours.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The Social Security Administration usually likes to hire from campuses. In the New York City area, they do a lot of hiring from St. John's University, Queens College and Stony Brook. Hiring managers appear at the job fairs to accept resumes. They hire people of all majors and backgrounds. In the summer, they will send potential candidates an email inviting them to take a test in one of the Federal buildings in Manhattan. They also include sample questions and answers for the test. As long as you understand the sample questions, the test actual test is very easy. If you pass the test, they'll call you to tell you that you passed and they'll invite you to an interview. The interview session is pretty lengthy because you'll be meeting with multiple people. The interview is very casual and they do most of the talking, explaining what the job entails.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They let me choose two start dates, as there were two batches of new benefit authorizer trainees. This varies every hiring phase.

Social Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Security Administration (New Brunswick, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview was long and lengthy. I had to interview on the phone 2 times before being able to interview in front of a group setting. My veteran status put me on top of the list but there was a GPA requirement of 3.5/ which made me not eligible..

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I interviewed at Social Security Administration (Buffalo, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Got another offer. I would rather do something else.