Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a 3 person panel.
    Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized.
    This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next.
    The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are.
    Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions.
    You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular.
    You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying.
    Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does.
      They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to.
      Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.

1 Answer

Service Representative () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I was referred by a university official as a great placement candidate for institutional work study/intern for the local Social Security Office. An appointment for an interview was scheduled with the office manager. Typical interview questions were asked. Nothing fancy. I think I was immediately offered the job based on my referral.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Baltimore, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

Took several months from application to hiring. Fairly onerous set of questions. Process seemed to be geared toward screening by Personel, who then forwarded only a few prospective candidates for interviews. Interview was informal for me, but other interviews of co-workers involved 2 or more interviewers who asked pointed questions. General approach is 'by the numbers', so one should pay careful attention to the initial questions on the job questionaire (several essay style answers, etc.).

Interview Questions

• Interview was very informal and friendly. I was solicited to apply for the position, so the biggest hurdle was getting past the Personell screeners who score the initial questionaire.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, rather, simply a request to accept or decline. Very inpersonal.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

The Social Security Administration usually likes to hire from campuses. In the New York City area, they do a lot of hiring from St. John's University, Queens College and Stony Brook. Hiring managers appear at the job fairs to accept resumes. They hire people of all majors and backgrounds. In the summer, they will send potential candidates an email inviting them to take a test in one of the Federal buildings in Manhattan. They also include sample questions and answers for the test. As long as you understand the sample questions, the test actual test is very easy. If you pass the test, they'll call you to tell you that you passed and they'll invite you to an interview. The interview session is pretty lengthy because you'll be meeting with multiple people. The interview is very casual and they do most of the talking, explaining what the job entails.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They let me choose two start dates, as there were two batches of new benefit authorizer trainees. This varies every hiring phase.

Reader Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My position is contingent on the person that Im' assisting liking me, and often is recommended by that person. I had one interview. A reader assistant helps a totally blind person.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question I had to answer is , "Why would I want such a low paid position when I am close to graduating with a Master's Degree.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Government jobs are pretty set, and there are only two classifications for my position.

Summer Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I got the interview through a referral from an employee who was working for the social security administration before. The district manager interviewed me and just asked me questions about what was on my resume. Questions were straightforward and nothing unexpected. Being a financial aid student is a huge plus.

After the interview, they required me to submit fingerprints, a certificate to prove I was still enrolled in school, official transcripts, and proof of financial aid.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult. Just know your resume experience well.   Answer Question

Benefits Tech Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Contacted by HR for phone interview the next day at 10 am. Received call at 10 am promptly, 2 person panel style interview of 8 questions, w/ a couple intro/ice-breaker type questions. Very professional and pleasant interaction.

Interview Questions

• Situational/behavioral type questions, outlining the situation, your action, and end result in your answer. Describe a time when:
      - decision in regards to what was right and what was in the company's best interest.
      -you built a valuable relationship
      -worked in a team w/ difficult co-workers
      -had to pay attention to detail
      -used computer skills and programs
      -went above/beyond your job description
      -dealt w/ sensitive information

Answer Question

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Contacted by one of the supervisors for an interview. During the interview, all supervisors are present, along with the Office Director. It's a very laid back interview and you must just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember. But most of them deal with talking about yourself and where you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can't really negotiate salary because it's a position in the government, but you can negotiate your work hours.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Richmond, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a very friendly and capable Staffing Specialist, who arranged for an interview with the two managers to whom the position would report (Director and Deputy Director). The interview was a straight-up behavioral interview with the requisite, "Do you have any questions for me?" at the end.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in the last year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is very little room to negotiate in the federal government's hiring process for Title 5 employees. Salary and benefits are set.

STEP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a very informative interview and the district manager took the time to go over the processes of the social security administration. Overall it was a relaxed interview and the job was a great opportunity, especially since I was a student.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Social Security Administration?   Answer Question