Social Security Administration

71 candidate interviews

Summer Aid Interview

Summer Aid
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I got the interview through a referral from an employee who was working for the social security administration before. The district manager interviewed me and just asked me questions about what was on my resume. Questions were straightforward and nothing unexpected. Being a financial aid student is a huge plus.

After the interview, they required me to submit fingerprints, a certificate to prove I was still enrolled in school, official transcripts, and proof of financial aid.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult. Just know your resume experience well.   Answer Question

Benefits Tech Interview

Benefits Tech

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR for phone interview the next day at 10 am. Received call at 10 am promptly, 2 person panel style interview of 8 questions, w/ a couple intro/ice-breaker type questions. Very professional and pleasant interaction.

Interview Question – Situational/behavioral type questions, outlining the situation, your action, and end result in your answer. Describe a time when:
- decision in regards to what was right and what was in the company's best interest.
-you built a valuable relationship
-worked in a team w/ difficult co-workers
-had to pay attention to detail
-used computer skills and programs
-went above/beyond your job description
-dealt w/ sensitive information
  Answer Question

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Office Automation Clerk
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by one of the supervisors for an interview. During the interview, all supervisors are present, along with the Office Director. It's a very laid back interview and you must just be yourself.

Interview Question – Don't remember. But most of them deal with talking about yourself and where you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can't really negotiate salary because it's a position in the government, but you can negotiate your work hours.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Richmond, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a very friendly and capable Staffing Specialist, who arranged for an interview with the two managers to whom the position would report (Director and Deputy Director). The interview was a straight-up behavioral interview with the requisite, "Do you have any questions for me?" at the end.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in the last year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is very little room to negotiate in the federal government's hiring process for Title 5 employees. Salary and benefits are set.

STEP Intern Interview

STEP Intern
San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2010.

Interview Details – It was a very informative interview and the district manager took the time to go over the processes of the social security administration. Overall it was a relaxed interview and the job was a great opportunity, especially since I was a student.

Interview Question – What do you know about the Social Security Administration?   Answer Question

Program Leader Interview

Program Leader

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewing manager was fabulous. She started by saying "I noticed (such and such) on your resume, tell me about that" - which put me at ease, let me know she read my resume, and let me feel that she was really interested in me, my skills, and what I can offer.

Interview Question – Tell me how you handled a training situation in your last position as supervisor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. Government salaries are generally not negotiable.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Benefit Authorizer

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview had 3 phases. You meet with a manager to understand the duties of the job. After your interview with the manager, you are taken to a current Benefit Authorizer to explain life on the job. Lastly, you meet with human resources to answer customer service related questions.

Interview Question – Can you describe a time when a manager/supervisor/coach gave you criticism and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Senior Case Technician Interview

Senior Case Technician

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for the position around the first of March. Didn't hear anything from them until they called to set the interview this week (fourth week of April). Met with the office director and one supervisor. The director asked all the questions. The supervisor took notes. The interview lasted 30 minutes. Was asked approximately 10 questions with most being situational type of questions. The director advised the interviews would be completed this week and depending on how quickly the background checks came back, would make a decision within two weeks. All people interviewing for the position are requried to submit fingerprint cards (I had mine done at the local sheriff's department) and a three page form with background information questions - criminal, service record, etc. They provided a pre-adddressed/pre-paid FedEX mailing envelope to return the completed fingerprint cards and background form.

The questions asked included:

1) Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve;
2) How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied;
3) How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with;
4) How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority;
5) How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with.

After the questions, the director asked if I had any questions. I asked for a description of the day to day work, the caseload, travel, training and benefits. They made a note of every item I asked about.

Both the office director and supervisor were pleasant and easy to talk with. The office director was hard to read, so I'm not sure what to think as far as my chances of being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve   Answer Question
  • How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied   Answer Question
  • How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with   Answer Question
  • How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority   Answer Question
  • How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with   Answer Question

Social Security Analyst Interview

Social Security Analyst
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was long and lengthy. I had to interview on the phone 2 times before being able to interview in front of a group setting. My veteran status put me on top of the list but there was a GPA requirement of 3.5/ which made me not eligible..

Interview Question – What is your biggest challenge   Answer Question

Claims Representative-Social Insurance Interview

Claims Representative-Social Insurance
Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

Interview Details – My process was a little different than what I have been reading. I went to a job fair for military vets, and was recruited by submitting my resume. I was interviewed on 6/19, packet for fingerprints given same day of Interview. 1 week after packet was sent to regional office I received the offer.

Interview Question – They asked a series of questions regarding g my strengths, and difficult situations during my career.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't any room for negotiation.