Social Security Administration

2.9

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question
    The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

Attorney Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant, Case Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

The overall process was very lengthy. I received an email for a phone interview two months after the post closed. A month later I received a call to have my background check done. A week after that I received the dreaded news that another candidate was selected.

Claims Representative-Social Insurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

My process was a little different than what I have been reading. I went to a job fair for military vets, and was recruited by submitting my resume. I was interviewed on 6/19, packet for fingerprints given same day of Interview. 1 week after packet was sent to regional office I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a series of questions regarding g my strengths, and difficult situations during my career.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't any room for negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I applied online the end of June and was called 2 weeks for a interview. Completed the panel interview and was then given 8 questions to answer with a short. Paragraph. Afterwards, was sent for fingerprints and background check. I was told that I were contacted within 2 to 4 weeks but never heard back from the organization.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you have a customer that does not speak English? How do you handle difficult situations? What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Law Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

The interview was a phone interview with one attorney and two HR people. The interviewers were relatively friendly. The questions were all being read from a standard form, and the attorney interviewer only followed up on one of my answers with his own question. Be prepared for some awkward silences because after answering a question, the interviewers silently take notes for up to a minute. Several of the questions seemed slightly repetitive, and several of the questions did not seem to relate much to the skills needed for the position. Most of the questions were behavioral. The interview lasted for approximately a half hour, which included a description of the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to talk about a time when I had difficulty working with a superior.   Answer Question

Claims Representative/Social Insurance Specialist Interview

I applied online via usajobs.com and was contacted within 2 weeks for an interview. The interview was a panel discussion with 4 regional directors. All were very warm and friendly and did their best to make it a comfortable experience. Questions were situational and behavioral, fairly obvious answers. The panel was open about their perception of me as a candidate when asked. Before and after the meeting I completed new hire paperwork and fingerprints - this is standard for federal positions. They were open about when they were looking to have people on board when asked. I received a phone call about 1 month after interview with the job offer.

Perception of People: Regular folks, everyone I met was friendly and helpful. Very open to talking about their experience with SSA, both pros and cons. Mostly older people (40+).

Office: Public space looked a bit like the DMV ; Working space full of cubicles with some tables in another area for interviewing

Work Culture: I was told by the people there that this position is very "intense" in the first year because of all the information you have to learn. Everyone seemed to agree that there was good potential for promotion after maxing out the career-ladder (3 yrs - from GS7 to GS11). This was dependent on showing early on that you're a hard worker, being the go-to person, having a positive attitude. Everyone I met raved about the work-life balance (9-5hrs) and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected but difficult: What is social security? They didn't mind that my answer was super vague, so long as you have a general idea of the services offered.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Position is career-ladder GS-7 to GS-11 and the promotion process was explained during the interview.

Legal Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2014.

Received a phone call to interview with two individuals. They asked me a bunch of situational questions- i.e. have you ever, how would you handle, etc, I was asked a few things off my resume. I was then told about the position and it was stated that if I got called back for fingerprinting I was chosen for the next step. I got called back about 2 weeks later for fingerprinting and received a call with an offer for the job about 20 days later. I can tell you that the salary was lower than expected considering my education level but the benefits, flex hours and hopefully opportunity to progress made me accept.

There was no negotiation. One set salary- take it or leave it.

Attorney Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied on USA Jobs. Received email that phone interviews would be held during three days, and that they would call me at some point during those three days. Interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewers read from a script. Standard questions - why do I want to work in public service/SSA and some behavioral questions. Interview was almost 3 weeks ago -- haven't heard anything.

Interview Questions
    • Some behavioral questions about managing your workload and disagreeing with superiors   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Applied online through an agency, had 3 phone interviews and 1 face to face all within a month. Couldn't tell if it would be general or technical interview so had to prepare intensively because I was coming from a different background but same position.

Interview Questions
    • Had to relate what I do in my old job to what the job description was.   Answer Question