Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.9

Program Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2010.

Interview

The interviewing manager was fabulous. She started by saying "I noticed (such and such) on your resume, tell me about that" - which put me at ease, let me know she read my resume, and let me feel that she was really interested in me, my skills, and what I can offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you handled a training situation in your last position as supervisor.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. Government salaries are generally not negotiable.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2011.

Interview

The interview had 3 phases. You meet with a manager to understand the duties of the job. After your interview with the manager, you are taken to a current Benefit Authorizer to explain life on the job. Lastly, you meet with human resources to answer customer service related questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when a manager/supervisor/coach gave you criticism and how did you respond?   Answer Question

STEP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a very informative interview and the district manager took the time to go over the processes of the social security administration. Overall it was a relaxed interview and the job was a great opportunity, especially since I was a student.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Social Security Administration?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Richmond, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a very friendly and capable Staffing Specialist, who arranged for an interview with the two managers to whom the position would report (Director and Deputy Director). The interview was a straight-up behavioral interview with the requisite, "Do you have any questions for me?" at the end.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in the last year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is very little room to negotiate in the federal government's hiring process for Title 5 employees. Salary and benefits are set.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Jamaica, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and then called in for an interview. Before the interview they go through the process and tell you how many people you will be meeting with and what kind of questions there will be. They take a lot of notes but they are looking for specific answers to the questions they ask. They are really nice and just ask you the questions that are written on their interview booklet. I was interviewed by two district managers. One was really friendly and the other was nonchalant, but both were very kind.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions: name a time you dealt with a difficult situation, coworker, customer   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Queens Village, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Queens Village, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call from an interview scheduler 6 weeks later. Interviewed by the panel of just 2 people. Have a positive impression about an interview and a shocking experience with the decision which I received by email 4 weeks later. It states: You are ineligible because you have not successfully demonstrated the ability to meet and deal with the general public and have received an unacceptable rating from the meet and deal interview panel. This decision could not be based on any of my answers. The only explanation for this statement – the personal dislike for ant reason.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, behavioral questions. Example: 1. You are interviewing a mother with 3 kids and kids are extremely noisy and destructive. How would you deal with this situation? 2. You have completed an interview but the interviewed person is not leaving and continues to talk to you. What will you do? 3. A person is complaining that she applied several times did not received her benefits. She states that she may attempt to commit suicide if her case will not be resolved. What will you do?   Answer Question

Claims Representative-Social Insurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Charleston, SC) in June 2014.

Interview

My process was a little different than what I have been reading. I went to a job fair for military vets, and was recruited by submitting my resume. I was interviewed on 6/19, packet for fingerprints given same day of Interview. 1 week after packet was sent to regional office I received the offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked a series of questions regarding g my strengths, and difficult situations during my career.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really wasn't any room for negotiation.

Reader Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My position is contingent on the person that Im' assisting liking me, and often is recommended by that person. I had one interview. A reader assistant helps a totally blind person.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question I had to answer is , "Why would I want such a low paid position when I am close to graduating with a Master's Degree.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Government jobs are pretty set, and there are only two classifications for my position.

Summer Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Social Security Administration (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I got the interview through a referral from an employee who was working for the social security administration before. The district manager interviewed me and just asked me questions about what was on my resume. Questions were straightforward and nothing unexpected. Being a financial aid student is a huge plus. After the interview, they required me to submit fingerprints, a certificate to prove I was still enrolled in school, official transcripts, and proof of financial aid.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult. Just know your resume experience well.   Answer Question

Benefits Tech Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Contacted by HR for phone interview the next day at 10 am. Received call at 10 am promptly, 2 person panel style interview of 8 questions, w/ a couple intro/ice-breaker type questions. Very professional and pleasant interaction.

Interview Questions

• Situational/behavioral type questions, outlining the situation, your action, and end result in your answer. Describe a time when: - decision in regards to what was right and what was in the company's best interest. -you built a valuable relationship -worked in a team w/ difficult co-workers -had to pay attention to detail -used computer skills and programs -went above/beyond your job description -dealt w/ sensitive information   Answer Question