Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.9

Senior Case Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2012.

Applied for the position around the first of March. Didn't hear anything from them until they called to set the interview this week (fourth week of April). Met with the office director and one supervisor. The director asked all the questions. The supervisor took notes. The interview lasted 30 minutes. Was asked approximately 10 questions with most being situational type of questions. The director advised the interviews would be completed this week and depending on how quickly the background checks came back, would make a decision within two weeks. All people interviewing for the position are requried to submit fingerprint cards (I had mine done at the local sheriff's department) and a three page form with background information questions - criminal, service record, etc. They provided a pre-adddressed/pre-paid FedEX mailing envelope to return the completed fingerprint cards and background form.

The questions asked included:

1) Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve;
    2) How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied;
    3) How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with;
    4) How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority;
    5) How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with.

After the questions, the director asked if I had any questions. I asked for a description of the day to day work, the caseload, travel, training and benefits. They made a note of every item I asked about.

Both the office director and supervisor were pleasant and easy to talk with. The office director was hard to read, so I'm not sure what to think as far as my chances of being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Name a goal you attempted but did not achieve   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with someone who is upset because benefits are denied   Answer Question
    • How you would handle a decision made by your boss or supervisor that you don't agree with   Answer Question
    • How do you handle/juggle multiple files when all are high priority   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with policies, rules and procedures you don't agree with   Answer Question

Social Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2011.

The interview was long and lengthy. I had to interview on the phone 2 times before being able to interview in front of a group setting. My veteran status put me on top of the list but there was a GPA requirement of 3.5/ which made me not eligible..

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2013.

Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Got another offer. I would rather do something else.

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Claims Representative Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Queens Village, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Queens Village, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Applied online, received a phone call from an interview scheduler 6 weeks later. Interviewed by the panel of just 2 people. Have a positive impression about an interview and a shocking experience with the decision which I received by email 4 weeks later. It states: You are ineligible because you have not successfully demonstrated the ability to meet and deal with the general public and have received an unacceptable rating from the meet and deal interview panel.
    This decision could not be based on any of my answers. The only explanation for this statement – the personal dislike for ant reason.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, behavioral questions. Example:
      1. You are interviewing a mother with 3 kids and kids are extremely noisy and destructive. How would you deal with this situation?
      2. You have completed an interview but the interviewed person is not leaving and continues to talk to you. What will you do?
      3. A person is complaining that she applied several times did not received her benefits. She states that she may attempt to commit suicide if her case will not be resolved. What will you do?

Claims Representative-Social Insurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

My process was a little different than what I have been reading. I went to a job fair for military vets, and was recruited by submitting my resume. I was interviewed on 6/19, packet for fingerprints given same day of Interview. 1 week after packet was sent to regional office I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a series of questions regarding g my strengths, and difficult situations during my career.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't any room for negotiation.

Claims Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Applied Online, Received a Referral letter a couple of weeks later, Interviewed and took quiz. offered the Job. Whole process took less than 8 weeks. The interview consisted of 4 scenario based questions based on your past history. You are allowed to use previous work, College, or life scenarios. After the interview, they administered an 8 question quiz based on pieces of policy they provide. Its not hard, but make sure to read the policy carefully.

Interview Questions
    • Descirbe a Scenario in which you received criticism. How did you react? What was the Outcome?
      Describe a Scenario in which you were put in a situation in which you had to work with people from different backgrounds as yourself. How did you work together? What did you accomplish

Answer Question
    None. You either qualify for a certain grade or you don't.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied online at USA jobs, got referred within a week for a position at Fremont office. Scheduled an interview. They were right on time, 8 p.m EST, three people took started off by introducing themselves. Went very well, At times when they go silent, don't panic coz they're usually writing or preparing to ask the next question. I would wait for a response from them and update soon.
    The interviewers were very nice and patient after a long day of interviewing people, they said they have 4 more days to do it.
    I told them how i was getting back on my feet after being a stay at home mom for three years and they totally appreciated it that i was giving my time to my daughter.

Interview Questions
    • They Asked about 8 or 9 questions out of which some were occupational questions where they wanted me to relate the answer to a situation i've experienced at my job. Here are some questions they asked:
      1- Tell us about a situation where u overcame a challenge at work. They wanted me to really elaborate on it.
      2- How do u handle a stressful situation or tell us of a time when u experienced the most strew?
      3- Tell us of a time where you had a hard time communicating with your co-worker.
      4- Tell us about a time when you received a project and how did you plan it.
      5- A couple who is claiming to be married can show wat document to prove it.
      6- Tell us of a situation where you had a hard time communicating
      7-In the passed if you missed a deadline to submit a report or project. How did you handle it.
      8- Tell us about the most difficult decision in your life and how do you feel about it. Did you take advice from someone. (this could be personal or professional)
      9- This last question really made me ask if it was a real question. They asked what if the one thing i think i am a pro at, and if i have to teach it to them, how would i do it. This could be anything; ur hobby, cooking, baking, crafts, anything.

Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online, was notifed I was referred a week after closing, was called for an phone interview two weeks later then an in person interview a week later. 5 months later was called to proceed with the background check, if background clears then will get an official offer from HR. Interview was easy but has been a very slow process.

Interview Questions
    • How do you comunicate with a individual who comes in and doesn't speak english and how do you idientify what language he/she may be speaking?   Answer Question
    Still waiting on the offical offer from HR but was told will be selected when background check clears.

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Jamaica, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied on USA jobs.gov, called for an interview a month later. It was an easy interview, long though took about 3 hours. Had a panel interview with two managers and filled out personal questionnaire relating to characteristics, credentials, goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain or communicate with a customer who couldn't speak English?   Answer Question