Social Security Administration

71 candidate interviews

Claims Authorizer Interview

Claims Authorizer
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Received a Referral letter a couple of weeks later, Interviewed and took quiz. offered the Job. Whole process took less than 8 weeks. The interview consisted of 4 scenario based questions based on your past history. You are allowed to use previous work, College, or life scenarios. After the interview, they administered an 8 question quiz based on pieces of policy they provide. Its not hard, but make sure to read the policy carefully.

Interview Question – Descirbe a Scenario in which you received criticism. How did you react? What was the Outcome?
Describe a Scenario in which you were put in a situation in which you had to work with people from different backgrounds as yourself. How did you work together? What did you accomplish
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. You either qualify for a certain grade or you don't.

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative
Buffalo, NY

I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2013.

Interview Details – Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Reason for Declining – Got another offer. I would rather do something else.

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Attorney-Advisor
Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Question – Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Claims Representative Interview Interview

Claims Representative Interview
Queens Village, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call from an interview scheduler 6 weeks later. Interviewed by the panel of just 2 people. Have a positive impression about an interview and a shocking experience with the decision which I received by email 4 weeks later. It states: You are ineligible because you have not successfully demonstrated the ability to meet and deal with the general public and have received an unacceptable rating from the meet and deal interview panel.
This decision could not be based on any of my answers. The only explanation for this statement – the personal dislike for ant reason.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, behavioral questions. Example:
1. You are interviewing a mother with 3 kids and kids are extremely noisy and destructive. How would you deal with this situation?
2. You have completed an interview but the interviewed person is not leaving and continues to talk to you. What will you do?
3. A person is complaining that she applied several times did not received her benefits. She states that she may attempt to commit suicide if her case will not be resolved. What will you do?
  Answer Question

Social Security Claims Representative Interview

Social Security Claims Representative
Queens Village, NY

Interview Details – Applied online got called for interview 3-4 weeks later. Interview was basic with personality questions than 3 behaviorial questions. Very basic and relaxed setting they try and make you feel at ease with makes it more comfortable.

Interview Question – All very basic questions was expecting all of tham. what would you do if you were interviewing a client and her children were interrupting the interview? Describe a time when you had to multi task and prioritize important tasks   Answer Question

Claims Representative/Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Claims Representative/Social Insurance Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I applied online via usajobs.com and was contacted within 2 weeks for an interview. The interview was a panel discussion with 4 regional directors. All were very warm and friendly and did their best to make it a comfortable experience. Questions were situational and behavioral, fairly obvious answers. The panel was open about their perception of me as a candidate when asked. Before and after the meeting I completed new hire paperwork and fingerprints - this is standard for federal positions. They were open about when they were looking to have people on board when asked. I received a phone call about 1 month after interview with the job offer.

Perception of People: Regular folks, everyone I met was friendly and helpful. Very open to talking about their experience with SSA, both pros and cons. Mostly older people (40+).

Office: Public space looked a bit like the DMV ; Working space full of cubicles with some tables in another area for interviewing

Work Culture: I was told by the people there that this position is very "intense" in the first year because of all the information you have to learn. Everyone seemed to agree that there was good potential for promotion after maxing out the career-ladder (3 yrs - from GS7 to GS11). This was dependent on showing early on that you're a hard worker, being the go-to person, having a positive attitude. Everyone I met raved about the work-life balance (9-5hrs) and benefits.

Interview Question – Not unexpected but difficult: What is social security? They didn't mind that my answer was super vague, so long as you have a general idea of the services offered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Position is career-ladder GS-7 to GS-11 and the promotion process was explained during the interview.

Attorney Advisor Interview

Attorney Advisor

Interview Details – I was referred to the hiring official about 2 weeks after applying on USAJOBS. I received an email telling me I had moved to the next stage of the process, which was an interview, one month after the vacancy closed.

The intervew was by phone and they said they would call me at my provided phone number on one of three days. No time range given, no offer to allow me to give a preferred date or time. So three days of sitting by the phone, trying to get ready to switch into interview at a moment's notice. Not exactly fun, but at least everyone else interviewing was suffering as well.

The interview was conducted by a senior supervisory attorney as well as an ALJ. Both were very pleasant, but the interview was a scripted set of questions, which didn't allow for building of rapport. They warned me at the start of the interview that it was scripted and not to take any silence as a bad sign--that they needed to make detailed notes. That was a great thing to know before starting.

They asked 5 questions total, some with multiple parts. Mostly scenario type questions--"Describe a time where you disagreed with a superior's decision. How did you address it?"

The entire interview lasted about 45 minutes, with a period for me to ask questions at the end. I did a little closing argument/summary of my skills and interest of the position, which they seemed to respond positively too.

Overall, not a bad experience for a phone interview (my least favorite). The warmth and enthusiasm of the interviewers was a major factor. A time frame of a few hours rather than THREE DAYS would make things a lot less stressful for future applicants.

Interview Question – The first question was: "In your own words, describe this position and it's role in the Agency." Do your research on the organizational charts etc. on the SSA website. That one almost threw me right out of the gate.   Answer Question

Benefit Authorizer Interview

Benefit Authorizer
Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2010.

Interview Details – Not very difficult. Fair at best. The questions were not hard to answer. They were interesting questions that you have to think about in order to give the best answer possible. Some of the questions were about personal experiences and the way you handled them.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Service Representative Interview

Service Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was called in for interview, did panel interview downtown Atlanta, called same day for follow up panel interview at local office, offered job on the spot, assuming my background cleared. I couldn't start for 2 months.

Interview Question – Will you move?   Answer Question

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Social Insurance Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Phone interview was conducted. I received an email 1 week later stating that I was in the 2nd phase of the interview process and for me to complete fingerprints and background check.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just describe a time.... questions.   Answer Question