Social Security Administration

68 candidate interviews

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Office Automation Clerk
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in May 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by one of the supervisors for an interview. During the interview, all supervisors are present, along with the Office Director. It's a very laid back interview and you must just be yourself.

Interview Question – Don't remember. But most of them deal with talking about yourself and where you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can't really negotiate salary because it's a position in the government, but you can negotiate your work hours.

Benefits Tech Interview

Benefits Tech

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR for phone interview the next day at 10 am. Received call at 10 am promptly, 2 person panel style interview of 8 questions, w/ a couple intro/ice-breaker type questions. Very professional and pleasant interaction.

Interview Question – Situational/behavioral type questions, outlining the situation, your action, and end result in your answer. Describe a time when:
- decision in regards to what was right and what was in the company's best interest.
-you built a valuable relationship
-worked in a team w/ difficult co-workers
-had to pay attention to detail
-used computer skills and programs
-went above/beyond your job description
-dealt w/ sensitive information
  Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2013.

Interview Details – Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Reason for Declining – Got another offer. I would rather do something else.

Attorney-Advisor Interview

Attorney-Advisor
Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I received an email stating that telephone interviews would be conducted on three days and asking me to select a time to interview. The interviewers were reading off a script and did not allow for much off of the script until the end when I was allowed to ask questions. I was then called about two weeks after the interview with the job offer and started around two weeks after that.

Interview Question – Pretty standard. Describe a time in which you [blank].   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer was firm.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – I had to apply online. I was contacted about two weeks after the posting was closed. Prior to the interview, I was given a form to fill out asking about the basic programs Social Security offers. The interview was conducted by three people- a manager & two supervisors. They asked me about my work experience, education and if I had experience dealing with the public. The interview lasted aboutan hour. I was contacted teo months later with a job offer.

Interview Question – They asked how I would help a customer in another language. I told them that at my prior employer, we used a phone service that provides interpreters so if that option was available at SSA, I would do the same. However, if not, I would try to find a bilingual coworker for assistance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Salary is ranked based on education & work experience. Masters degree applicants had the highest available starting salary at about 50k.

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process took approximately 2 months. I submitted an online application and was contactd within one month. The interview was a panel with about 8 behavioral questions lasted for an hour or so. The atmosphere was good and relaxed. A couple days later I was asked to come in for fingerprints and a month later I was presented with an offer.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly about experience and education.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Social Insurance Specialist Interview

Social Insurance Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Phone interview was conducted. I received an email 1 week later stating that I was in the 2nd phase of the interview process and for me to complete fingerprints and background check.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just describe a time.... questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was interviewed last week Thursday by a supervisor and a director. They were both nice and I felt really relaxed and at ease. They said they will give me 2 interview questions & 4 situations I need to answer( there's no right or wrong for the situation questions) . I was told it can take 3-6 months to hear from them. This process last about 30 mins. Then I was taken to a different floor for fingerprinting. I'm so anxious I want to hear from them but I know I have to wait, hopefully they will call me before to tell me my results.

Interview Question – If a mom comes in with her 3 small children who are not behaving and I'm not able to conduct the interview, what would I do?   View Answers (2)

Lake Orion, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

Interview Details – I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Question – The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details – Applied on usajobs.gov. Received a call month later to come in for a panel interview. Interview was very structured including behavioral and situational questions( an hour long). Received a call to come in for fingerprints a couple of days later.

Interview Question – The most stressful situation in your life.   Answer Question