Society for Neuroscience

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called back for a phone interview, then two subsequent interviews. The interviews seemed great and I had a good feeling about the interviewers and the company, until they started asking questions about my baby.

Interview Question – When they found out I was a new mom the HR manager asked, "Are you going to be ready to go back to work?" when I came in for my second interview. Also, one of the hiring managers asked how old my child was. I told them I had a nanny and a master's degree (meaning that I was more than qualified for the position), but I was still very taken off guard.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Society for Neuroscience

Interview Details – I was connected through a family friend, put me in touch with SfN

Interview Question – There were no real technical questions, just what my goals were and how I could make a difference   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience.

Interview Details – The hiring process is lengthy and includes a personality/psych test which some senior management staff members take very seriously.

Interview Question – There was no question that I considered difficult or unexpected. It was very much by the book.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was very little room to negotiate due to the organization's non-profit status and published salary ranges.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Program Manager Online Training Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in November 2012.

Interview Details – This society is dysfunctional!! I had a traditional phone screen and was asked to come down for an inperson interview. The meeting was at 10am. I was a few blocks away at 945am and got a call that they had to cancel because both people were sick. You didn't know that the day before or even at 9am?

Then I came in a week later. Good meeting with two different people. No really tough questions, then I had another phone screen with a freelancer who was doing the job until they made a full time hire. Easy going and I got asked to come back in for a 2nd time.

Met with 3 people (2 were the same from the first time). Then the HR rep asked me to take a writing test. I was half way though the test and she came in and said that she was sorry but I didn't need it for this position. Fine. She's new. Innocent mistake.

I sent my thank you's and two days later I get a Generic Email from their applicant tracking system saying that they were considering other candidates. Not even the decency to write a personal email after I've spent over 6 hours in discussions with them?? I wrote back to the people I interviewed with and the head of HR to get some clarification. I got the same generic email back!

I can't tell you what to do but this group borders between elitist and incompetent. You'd be well served by staying far away!

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to overcome a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Coordinator In Professional Development and Global Affairs Department Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email from an HR coordinator that I'd been selected for a phone-screen interview. The email included the names and email addresses of my "competitors." I should have known right off the bat that SfN was unprofessional. After the phone screen, I was notified I was selected for an in-person interview. When I asked who I would be interviewing with, the HR coordinator said she would email me with all the information. When I received the email, I found out that the interview was going to be 2.5 hours long! They need to give their applicants notice of a long interview before someone just agrees to come in. One of the three individuals that I interviewed with checked his cell phone constantly throughout the interview and clearly, didn't listen to my responses to his questions because he asked the same question twice. I was told there was one more interview after this 2.5 hour interview with the Director. About a month goes by, and I asked for the status of my application. A week and a half later, the HR coordinator replied that it was taking longer than expected due to the Director being out. I still haven't heard anything and I noticed that they reposted the job on their website but, I never received a rejection notice. I plan to withdraw my application regardless because every person I've spoken with has been incredibly unprofessional.

Interview Question – They didn't ask any difficult or unexpected questions. That alone was shocking in and of itself, actually.   Answer Question

Director of Membership and Marketing Interview

Director of Membership and Marketing
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in June 2011.

Interview Details – Resumes screened by a marketing firm, with initial phone interview from this firm. In person interview consisted of writing sample and editing test before meeting with staff from human resources and the hiring manager. A set ceiling on salary which was communicated in the screening call. Staff was friendly and really took time during the interview to answer questions and talk more about the organization and culture.

Interview Question – Describe your membership and marketing experience. Why do you think you are qualified for this position?   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Society for Neuroscience in January 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by day long interview with various parties. During one interview, the person interviewing me started answering emails on their computer while I was talking! Their HR dept was very slow in getting back to me, promising me an answer by a certain date and being very late in getting it.

Negotiation Details – I was told there was no negotiation. this was the offer, take it or leave it.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Society for Neuroscience? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Society for Neuroscience interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Society for Neuroscience employees and interview candidates.