SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in May 2011.

I had an initial phone screen where they asked the general "why are you looking to switch" and other personality questions. There were some basic technical questions to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

The in-person interview takes about an hour and a half. Half an hour is spent with managers and is more of a personality interview. I was asked stuff like "what book most influenced you" and some basic stuff about what I've worked on before and what was something challenging I've worked on.

An hour was spent doing a technical interview with the developers on whose team I was going to be on. I interviewed for the interface team, so there were a lot of general JavaScript, jQuery and PHP questions; one question I was asked is why I would return and/or consume XML over JSON when using XmlHttpRequest. I was also about some SQL, including the difference between JOIN and LEFT JOIN, etc.

My advise would be that if you put something on your resume, know about it.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you use XML over JSON when using ajax.   View Answer
    Like any other company, they'll try to low-ball you. Do your research to know what you're worth and make a counter-officer higher than what you want so that you can meet them in the middle.

Regional Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer in March 2010.

Submit resume, phone call, then a phone interview with both manager and supervisor. Then a face to face. Then a lunch.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer.

I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer
    This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer in June 2014.

I applied on the official IBM website and got a voicemail on my phone three weeks later stating I am a potential candidate for the position. I scheduled an appointment one week later.

They ask the normal top 10 questions with the remaining time allocated for questions of your own for the interviewer. They explained how the business operated along with a typical workday during the interview.

Keep in mind that this position is an entry level position so pay may not be as high as you anticipate, but the job has a lot of capacity for learning new things. My impression was that this is a great place for growth as a new graduate into the workforce.

Soon after the interview, they conduct some background checks based on another application you have to fill out. Another couple of weeks of waiting after submission, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Shift hours not to my liking. Cannot change once your preference is submitted during the interview. When offered the position, I was told I could not change to a different shift, but the option may be open down the line.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I applied online and within 3 months I got a call for a Phone Interview. About 3 weeks later I was given an in person interview and skills test where i was asked various questions about linux and what types of commands were used/what they were for and received and offer the same day within about 2 hours after leaving.

Interview Questions
    • None, they were all pretty standard for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question
    The offer was non negotiable and due within 24 hours.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer
    starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer.

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Engineer Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer in June 2008.

There is phone screen that lasts from 20 mins to an hour (depending on who is doing the phone screen).

After the phone screen there is a group interview that consits of multiple groups. Look to spend at least 3-4 hours. They will ask you all types of questions.