SoftLayer

16 candidate interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Interview Question – designing webservice in PHP using REST or SOAP.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone screen where they asked the general "why are you looking to switch" and other personality questions. There were some basic technical questions to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

The in-person interview takes about an hour and a half. Half an hour is spent with managers and is more of a personality interview. I was asked stuff like "what book most influenced you" and some basic stuff about what I've worked on before and what was something challenging I've worked on.

An hour was spent doing a technical interview with the developers on whose team I was going to be on. I interviewed for the interface team, so there were a lot of general JavaScript, jQuery and PHP questions; one question I was asked is why I would return and/or consume XML over JSON when using XmlHttpRequest. I was also about some SQL, including the difference between JOIN and LEFT JOIN, etc.

My advise would be that if you put something on your resume, know about it.

Interview Question – Why would you use XML over JSON when using ajax.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Like any other company, they'll try to low-ball you. Do your research to know what you're worth and make a counter-officer higher than what you want so that you can meet them in the middle.

Regional Sales Interview

Regional Sales
Dallas, TX

The process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2010.

Interview Details – Submit resume, phone call, then a phone interview with both manager and supervisor. Then a face to face. Then a lunch.

Interview Question – None really   Answer Question

Storage Administrator Interview

Storage Administrator
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details – I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Question – How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Server Build Technician Interview

Server Build Technician
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Question – "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Customer Support Technician Interview

Customer Support Technician
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details – This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Interview Question – What do you do when you have an irate caller?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Interview Details – Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Customer Support Technician Interview

Customer Support Technician
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and within 3 months I got a call for a Phone Interview. About 3 weeks later I was given an in person interview and skills test where i was asked various questions about linux and what types of commands were used/what they were for and received and offer the same day within about 2 hours after leaving.

Interview Question – None, they were all pretty standard for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was non negotiable and due within 24 hours.

Engineer Interview

Engineer

The process took 2 days - interviewed at SoftLayer in June 2008.

Interview Details – There is phone screen that lasts from 20 mins to an hour (depending on who is doing the phone screen).

After the phone screen there is a group interview that consits of multiple groups. Look to spend at least 3-4 hours. They will ask you all types of questions.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in 4 adjectives.   Answer Question

Data Center Technician Interview

Data Center Technician
Addison, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very lax. You will enter the front where security will stop you and make you wait for who ever called you. You will be given a temporary badge and taken on a short tour and offered an energy drink. There are confrence rooms upstairs where the interview will take place. 1 or 2 people will interview you. The questions will be right out of any top 20 interview questions list. You will be asked if you have any questions. I suggest asking about salary and benifits because they are not mentioned in their interview process. Good luck and GOD bless.

Interview Questions

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!