SoftLayer Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Regional Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2010.

Submit resume, phone call, then a phone interview with both manager and supervisor. Then a face to face. Then a lunch.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in May 2011.

I had an initial phone screen where they asked the general "why are you looking to switch" and other personality questions. There were some basic technical questions to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

The in-person interview takes about an hour and a half. Half an hour is spent with managers and is more of a personality interview. I was asked stuff like "what book most influenced you" and some basic stuff about what I've worked on before and what was something challenging I've worked on.

An hour was spent doing a technical interview with the developers on whose team I was going to be on. I interviewed for the interface team, so there were a lot of general JavaScript, jQuery and PHP questions; one question I was asked is why I would return and/or consume XML over JSON when using XmlHttpRequest. I was also about some SQL, including the difference between JOIN and LEFT JOIN, etc.

My advise would be that if you put something on your resume, know about it.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you use XML over JSON when using ajax.   View Answer
    Like any other company, they'll try to low-ball you. Do your research to know what you're worth and make a counter-officer higher than what you want so that you can meet them in the middle.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer.

I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer
    This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Addison, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

The interview process was very lax. You will enter the front where security will stop you and make you wait for who ever called you. You will be given a temporary badge and taken on a short tour and offered an energy drink. There are confrence rooms upstairs where the interview will take place. 1 or 2 people will interview you. The questions will be right out of any top 20 interview questions list. You will be asked if you have any questions. I suggest asking about salary and benifits because they are not mentioned in their interview process. Good luck and GOD bless.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I applied online and within 3 months I got a call for a Phone Interview. About 3 weeks later I was given an in person interview and skills test where i was asked various questions about linux and what types of commands were used/what they were for and received and offer the same day within about 2 hours after leaving.

Interview Questions
    • None, they were all pretty standard for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question
    The offer was non negotiable and due within 24 hours.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer
    starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer.

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Senior MS SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at SoftLayer in October 2009.

It involved a team interview in several parts that took several hours. 2 or 3 team members interviewed me at a time. Only one was a database administrator and all others were OS technicians, engineers. The network/OS people had easy questions. The DBA had a few tough ones but I thought then and now that he was wrong on most of them. The DBA acted very aggressively and I should have had a warning bell go up but didn't.

Interview Questions
    • Detail what occurs during a DBCC CHECKDB command. In hind site this was rediculous because the DBA who interviewed me had turned off all database consistancy check jobs on all customer servers because he didn't understand what the previous DBA had done. It would up being an example of customers paying for something they weren't getting.   Answer Question
    My direct manager indicated that my rate was higher than they could pay. I indicated that it was a minimum for me. He asked they would like to make an offer but should he even take the effort to get it through HR since there was no way they could meet my rate. He asked if he should even make the call to me if the rate was lower. I told him not to bother and never expected a call with an offer at my rate. They escallated to the CEO prior to Lance and he approved it.

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!