SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.3

Abuse Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Questions

• None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

It took them months between me submitting my resume, at the request of an employee, to actually interviewing me... and then took another 3.5 weeks between the time I interviewed and the time they made their offer.. and then there was a further 2 weeks after that before I started.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any certifications?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations seemed to be non-existent for this position. I was made to feel as if I didn't take exactly what they were offering, they would hire someone with no experience, straight out of ITT Tech.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

I seriously laughed. It was two guys sitting you down in a room questioning you about the simplest technical questions. They try to intermediate you, I started laughing halfway through. I guess I'm just not used to Texas and how things are done there.

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed, I took my $12/hr since I was broke.

Cst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX).

Interview

Three managers will interview you and ask you different questions regarding hosting. The interview is fairly short and to the point. They need bodies in the call center to support their terrible service.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They going to pay you what they want to pay you, no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Customer Support Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

You can pretty much just derp your way through this as it's clear by the current selection of people that they don't care about your knowledge of this field when they hire you. Half these new hires can barely reset a root password in Linux.
    Also, don't expect an answer any time soon...it took 5 months to get hired because they are so disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online and within 3 months I got a call for a Phone Interview. About 3 weeks later I was given an in person interview and skills test where i was asked various questions about linux and what types of commands were used/what they were for and received and offer the same day within about 2 hours after leaving.

Interview Questions

• None, they were all pretty standard for the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was non negotiable and due within 24 hours.

SBT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an invitation for a web based interview. One week later, the interview was hold online. Only me and the site manager. Just asking simple questions and about me and my work history. The interview was straight, but I didn't feel any pressure. It was a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What makes you so special to work for us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me everything you know about computers"   1 Answer

Negotiation

starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX).

Interview

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.