SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.3

Cst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX).

Interview

Quick, applied got an interview the next week. The parent company of ibm has a hard to navigate site and calling them to accept the offer was answered by someone with a thick Indian accent which may make it hard to understand. After accepting I started a week later. There are 2 weeks of intensive training.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over someone else   1 Answer

Customer Support Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

You can pretty much just derp your way through this as it's clear by the current selection of people that they don't care about your knowledge of this field when they hire you. Half these new hires can barely reset a root password in Linux. Also, don't expect an answer any time soon...it took 5 months to get hired because they are so disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Data Center Technician Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at SoftLayer (Chantilly, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Site manager emailed and he asked three quesion about computer components, computer troubleshooting, installing, hardware and software. I got a phone call from site manager about 10 components of computer. He sat up interview in a week in chantilly VA.

Interview Questions

• Asked about RAID 0,1,10 and differences. 10 component of computer. Subnet, IP address, Linux commands Active directory, BIOS, CMOS 2 IQ test question My background and experience RAM and RAM troubleshooting Cisco router and Switches Routing protocols   1 Answer

Server Build Technician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SoftLayer in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. We will be asked for a interview. And then someone calls you up and the interview begins. You will asked some questions on your motivation and background. Once you finish the interview, You will be able to tell you passed or not, I passed and was asked to wait for 2 -3 weeks. It can take more than that because of the current situation.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions like how to build a simple computer   1 Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Interview

Had to pass an online technical test as a screening. Then passed a phone interview with more technical questions. Then had a couple in-person interviews that also had technical questions, and questions about my background.

SBT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an invitation for a web based interview. One week later, the interview was hold online. Only me and the site manager. Just asking simple questions and about me and my work history. The interview was straight, but I didn't feel any pressure. It was a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What makes you so special to work for us?   1 Answer

Server Build Tech Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

apply Through IBM - get a phone call. come in for the interview. talk about what the job in tails. decide on a work scheduled ( 3 shifts available 7-4, 3-12 and 11-8.) 1 manager to deal with lots of angry customers, over all relatively basic interview with lots of questions based on work experience. After the interview i got a offer via email.

Interview Questions

• this is not a typical 9-5 job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got a job offer via email after interviewing

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was about an 1 hour - Video conference. I think was ok , we both break the ice and talk about real matters such as previous jobs experience, what would you do if such such such cenario mostly management questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I applied through a very aggressive recruiting firm that they use. I was more than qualified for the position, however he seemed hesitant to submit me at the higher range of the salary range they were seeking. Once I had the initial phone screen with the HR person, it was your typical HR questions. The she immediately scheduled me for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I spoke to him the next day, and answered every question correctly. At the end of the interview he said he wanted to get me in for an in-person interview. I reminded him that I was not in the area, and he said that would be no problem. He told me he would still continue on with the next step of getting me another interview over a video conference. 2 hours later, I received a text message from the recruiter telling me they passed on me. Seemed odd after the conversation I just had with the hiring manager, but if this is the way the manager and the company does business, I want no part in it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied and took about 2 months, got an email and scheduled an interview. Interview was a 20 min Behavioral one with easy questions. They stressed that the job will be a hectic one with new projects occurring one after the other.