SoftLayer Senior MS SQL Database Administrator Interview Questions

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Senior MS SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

It involved a team interview in several parts that took several hours. 2 or 3 team members interviewed me at a time. Only one was a database administrator and all others were OS technicians, engineers. The network/OS people had easy questions. The DBA had a few tough ones but I thought then and now that he was wrong on most of them. The DBA acted very aggressively and I should have had a warning bell go up but didn't.

Interview Questions

• Detail what occurs during a DBCC CHECKDB command. In hind site this was rediculous because the DBA who interviewed me had turned off all database consistancy check jobs on all customer servers because he didn't understand what the previous DBA had done. It would up being an example of customers paying for something they weren't getting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My direct manager indicated that my rate was higher than they could pay. I indicated that it was a minimum for me. He asked they would like to make an offer but should he even take the effort to get it through HR since there was no way they could meet my rate. He asked if he should even make the call to me if the rate was lower. I told him not to bother and never expected a call with an offer at my rate. They escallated to the CEO prior to Lance and he approved it.