SoftLayer

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

Interview Details – Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Question – The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Question – "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in April 2011.

Interview Details – It took them months between me submitting my resume, at the request of an employee, to actually interviewing me... and then took another 3.5 weeks between the time I interviewed and the time they made their offer.. and then there was a further 2 weeks after that before I started.

Interview Question – Do you have any certifications?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations seemed to be non-existent for this position. I was made to feel as if I didn't take exactly what they were offering, they would hire someone with no experience, straight out of ITT Tech.

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!