SoftLayer

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in May 2011.

I had an initial phone screen where they asked the general "why are you looking to switch" and other personality questions. There were some basic technical questions to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

The in-person interview takes about an hour and a half. Half an hour is spent with managers and is more of a personality interview. I was asked stuff like "what book most influenced you" and some basic stuff about what I've worked on before and what was something challenging I've worked on.

An hour was spent doing a technical interview with the developers on whose team I was going to be on. I interviewed for the interface team, so there were a lot of general JavaScript, jQuery and PHP questions; one question I was asked is why I would return and/or consume XML over JSON when using XmlHttpRequest. I was also about some SQL, including the difference between JOIN and LEFT JOIN, etc.

My advise would be that if you put something on your resume, know about it.

Interview Questions
  • Why would you use XML over JSON when using ajax.   View Answer
Like any other company, they'll try to low-ball you. Do your research to know what you're worth and make a counter-officer higher than what you want so that you can meet them in the middle.