Softmart

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Softmart.

Interview Details – The process was enhanced for me as I went through an outside recruiter. I did an initial phone screen. That was a pretty quick process and was brought in for a face to face. I was asked to wait a few minutes to meet with my first contact there. It was an easy interview from my perspective because the supervisor did all the talking and easily indicated the answers to questions he wanted to hear.

Next up was some of the other management team, panel interview style. This again, was easy as they did most of the talking. Meet with the owner and CEO as well.

All in all, each person I talked with indicated that this was a great little company to work for. I was told that answers from management were easy to get.

The sad part is that all positive things that were told to me about this company have turned out to be untrue.

Interview Question – There really wasn't a truly difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Downingtown, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Softmart in March 2013.

Interview Details – After a few emails between my hiring manager, I scheduled a date to met with the executive team (CEO, CFO, VP Sales). The CEO was on Skype. We had a nice chat about my experience and my expectations.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate, to meet in the middle

Marketing Interview

Downingtown, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Softmart in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication was a phone call from the HR Recruiter who scheduled an interview. I met the majority of the management team as well as the CEO. After a few weeks I received a call back.

Interview Question – What I expect the role to entail.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Operations

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Softmart.

Interview Details – very friendly open work environment, comfortable- co-workers very loyal to brand and had long tenure, responded quickly, answered questions

Interview Question – What's your future look like to you?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Softmart.

Interview Details – The hiring process was easy to go through.

Interview Question – What was the most creative thing you have ever done?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Softmart.

Interview Details – I was applying for the new England Territory Position. The spot has been vacated 2-3 times in the last 3 years. I interviewed with no less than 8 people via phone, 1 of which was fired a week later. I guess that I had over 12 phone calls, a face to face meeting with the a rep (fat/ugly screening process) and then an onsite all day interview at their remote sales office. At the onsite interview I had 4 interviews, they were kind enough to provide TV when they were making me wait 30+ minutes between interviews. The Territory sales Director was completely inappropriate with his actions, comments and questions.
• He fished around to see if I was married in a phone interview
• He commented about firing people 6 different occasions (1 guy I interviewed with was fired a week later)
• He came out and declared his office a boys club
• When I commented that I thought it interesting that the previous rep I interviewed was in Boston to see the tall ships he responded “Well he is into that sort of thing...” It was a clear gay reference about his employee.
• He asked if I was bothered by his causal relationship with his female relationship
• Later at lunch with same female rep I felt like I was interrupting a date
• Bragged about his BMW suv and his bills for it were the reason he needed top sales reps (it was filthy inside and out and hadn’t been cleaned since he picked it up from the dealership—I’m sure he was leasing it too…)
• He was 20 minutes late picking me up from my hotel for the interview
• Declared he was an HR nightmare – the statement was backed up by other people I spoke with on the phone

All in all I was very interested in working for the company but was turned off by the unprofessional (illegal at times) nature of the Sales Director. I have heard good things about the company, but after interviewing there would be no way I would work in that company/sales office. Hours and hours of wasted time.

Interview Question – see above-- none of it was expected   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Softmart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Softmart interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Softmart employees and interview candidates.