Software Advice Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015

3.2

Market Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume via email, contacted by email for a phone interview, then went in for an in-person interview. The phone interview was pretty straightforward, about 20 minutes, although she did call early. The in-person interview was long - almost 3 hours. One person went through my resume and asked about every job listed - best part, worst part, biggest accomplishment, how did it prepare me for this job, etc. A second person then asked me more direct questions - strengths, weaknesses, why would I fit in here. They seem very concerned about corporate culture fit.
    None of this seemed too hard, but I didn't get an offer - I don't think I "fit" with their culture, which includes being in the office for 11 hours a day. If you want this job, be prepared to be at work all the time. That's not what I wanted. On the phone, they asked for my salary requirements, but didn't tell me at the time that it would be for 50 hours, not 40.
    Some of the interview questions seemed highly personal, like what my life goals were for the next 10 years (not just career, but life). The woman who interviewed me also dropped the F bomb twice.
    The interview also happened on a couch, which felt unprofessional to me. They were really low to the ground and it was hard to sit up straight. I wore a skirt (knee-length) and it was really awkward to "lounge" in a nice outfit.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Software Advice in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a week later for a phone interview. The recruiter scheduled a time but called about 15 minutes early, so I was still at my desk (for the job I currently have) and had to rush out quickly. I was invited for an in-person interview about a week and a half later.

The in-person interview was one of the most uncomfortable of my life. The interviewer seemed to have no interest in me as a person - her only questions were: "What I liked most about my previous jobs, what I liked least, what made me feel successful, and a challenging experience." She was constantly checking her phone through the interview and rushed out the door when it was over.

In general, they seemed really preoccupied with why I wanted to leave my current job and started to ask for the names of my current management. I have a bit of news for you: most people look for new opportunities because they're unhappy for some reason about their current employment (be it compensation, lack of growth opportunities, or an unfit corporate environment.) We don't want interviewers calling up our boss or our boss's boss to talk about our potential departure before an offer is in the bag. In competitive work environments that's career suicide. If you're really interested in us, you'll be patient to ask that info later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard, but "Why do you want to leave your current job?"   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was a joke! The guy that interviewed me said he'd been with the company for quite a while, kept asking the same exact questions for each of my previous jobs. What did you like? What didn't you like? Why did you leave? How did you like your manager? And to top things off, to show how professional this guy really was, he kept checking his phone every 2-3 mins! I've taken and given interviews in the past, but not once have I ever decided to check my phone in the middle of the interview. The guy just seemed to think he was top dawg, but I'm guessing he was just entry level management. Oh yea, and they expected me to give a blind 2-yr commitment to stay with the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult, just repetitive questions about each of my previous jobs.   Answer Question

After witnessing what a "manager" is within the company, I figured I'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Software Advice Response

Feb 3, 2015Manager, Recruiting and HR

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience during our interview process. We appreciate your candid feedback and your comments have been passed along to our hiring team. While we've ... More

Marketing Specialist - Digital Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Software Advice (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Disorganized. Phone screening was the typical 'get-to-know-you' questions. In person interview was in an uncomfortable room, interviewer asked plenty of questions not related one bit to the actual position. It took awhile for me to hear back, and the response was automated. Unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked what I learned in a particular college class....6 years ago.   Answer Question

Media Relations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

Software Advice is very selective when it comes to hiring and won't just hire to fill a space, but wait until the right person comes along. The whole process took about 2 weeks for me, starting with a couple phone interviews, an in person meeting and a day in the life session. Everyone who handles the hiring at SA is awesome.

Interview Questions

• There really are no curveballs thrown at you during the interview process, just be yourself and if you're smart, intellectually curious and sociable you'll do great.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

I applied through their website. I had one phone interview . I answered all the questions and explained how my experience related to the work in great detail . I wasn't sure why I was not picked .

Interview Questions

• What industry's would you like to focus your writing on for the job ?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

I originally found the advertisement for the Sales position on Craigslist. The recruiter followed up via email to schedule a phone interview a week after emailing my resume. She had pretty good response time and seemed to be anxious and excited to fill the positions.

The recruiter called my cell and asked if I still had time for our call. From the beginning of the interview the recruiter seemed annoyed and short with me for no reason, cutting me off when I tried to answer the question. While discussing salary (one of her first questions), the recruiter's replied: "only a few top positions make that much in our company".

Interview Questions

• I assured her I was flexible and I just wanted to make sure there was room to grow within the corporation. For every question she asked, I assured her I was flexible. Human Resource representatives aren't usually so curt given their job is to prospect for, and represent, their company. Maybe she's having a bad day, but It's important to treat others with respect in all professional situations.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Software Advice in October 2014.

Interview

In-person interview was followed first by a phone interview. I was given a phone interview just days after submitting an application. The in-person interview happened a week after. Phone interview questions are fairly standard. In-person interview questions elaborate further on what was asked on the phone. The hiring manager spent a lot of time trying to figure out what kind of person I was. They don't hire primarily based on former experience but rather personality type and work habits. The in-person interview lasted a total of 2.5 hours with two different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What do you think your former boss would say about you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

I applied online and received an email asking for potential dates and times for an interview. We agreed on a time and HR called to discuss the position. We arranged for 30 minutes, but spoke for more than an hour.

The vast majority of the questions extremely basic and focused on my background and how I could translate those successes to Software Advice.

What concerned me was how robotic the questions were. HR appeared to be reading from a punch list of questions, even though I had previously answered the question. After a few minutes, my impression was these are the same questions that are asked of all candidates, not just for an executive-level position.

At the end of the phone call, HR said I would hear back within a few days regarding next steps. Two days later, I received an automated and generic thanks but no thanks email.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Software Advice.

Interview

The interviewer seemed like they were digging for more information than they needed. Was cut off mid sentence many times. Not a good experience and wished that they would have been less robotic. It seems like other people have had poor experiences interviewing with this company. The culture was described as intense also. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10 what would you previous manager rate you and why?   Answer Question