Software Engineering Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.3

Staff Employee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Upon initially being contacted by SEI, a phone screen was conducted. Following the phone screening were three interviews (one over the phone and two in-person). The entire process lasted about two months although HR was helpful throughout and consistent in keeping in touch. Overall a pleasant experience although it requires some patience.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Consisted of 3 stages. Phone screen followed by technical phone interview followed by a technical face to face. The initial screen consisted of a few questions about yourself and where your interests lie. The first technical interview was more of a discussion, where both the interviewee and interviewer describe some previous projects in detail. The last phase consisted of meeting 3 people in 30 to 60 min sections, followed a white board session. Each section consisted of questions regarding previous projects and explaining them in detail. The white board session consisted of me writing code to solve different problems in any language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a chunk of code to find the Nth fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Grad Student Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Phone screening is all.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I initially contacted a specific individual about a project of theirs. In about a week and a few emails, I was contacted for a phone interview. The questions were focused on the coding challenges I'd faced, and specifics of how I'd overcome them. They also asked about specific knowledge/experience I may have. I was invited perhaps a day later for an on-site interview. I was given very little specifics of how I would be interviewed. I went through three interviews in about the space of an hour. The interviews were all technical-- very few behavioral questions were asked. I was asked to do a bit of whiteboard coding unrelated to the position; typical problem solving sort of question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a solution to a simple string operation problem on the whiteboard. I had forgotten some of the string API, which may have hampered my ability to solve the problem without some assistance (which was provided). The difficult part was that, after the solution had been written, I was asked to optimize it as much as I could.   Answer Question

Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

Began the application process by sending a resume. I was paired with a manager who then basically used my resume to determine whether or not I was a fit for any of their projects. After this, I was interviewed by the leaders of those respective projects and then informed of the decision.

Interview Questions

• The SEI works on real world problems that school didn't necessarily prepare me for. The most difficult thing about working there was learning really quickly about foreign concepts.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2011.

Interview

An SEI internship opening was posted on my university's job board. I submitted my resume (no cover letter was requested) and was emailed the following day to schedule an interview. I interviewed with two people in a row. The entire process took about an hour. The building was very quiet and seemed very stiff and serious.

Interview Questions

• How would you make very technical, dense language relatable to the average person?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

I met with various people across the organization for one on one or one to few interviews. It was organized and structured. It took some time for the entire process to fall together. It was a terrific "on-boarding" process

Interview Questions

• What are your aspirations for this job? How would you contribute to the team? What is your strategy for growth? Do you have recommendations for improvement? What do you know about the Government Lifecycle?   1 Answer

Visiting Scientist/Member of the Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2008.

Interview

8 hour panel interview, full of brain teasers and moral fitness questions. I was asked to give a presentation as well, which i prepared for in advance. The background check was lengthy, taking several months.

Interview Questions

• Sample of C code, asking what line had a vulnerability. I was not hired to do any C programming, so was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Internal recruiter contacted me via Dice, and we talked over a period of time.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nāgpur, Maharashtra (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Nāgpur, Maharashtra (India)) in July 2011.

Interview

they gone through my cv.and asking questions from that.coding techniques will be essential

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute in March 2011.

Interview

First, reading and understanding some email or articles, then answer question. Second, go to complete 2 or 3 programs, then go to find bugs in one program.