Softwire

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.4

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Softwire.

Had my telephone interview: asked me a question about my computing experience; asked some algorithm based questions: dropping eggs from a ladder and estimate the height from which an egg might break; number of petrol stations in the UK.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Softwire in November 2014.

I applied online. Had a phone interview, it was fairly easy. Asked some usual questions about ladders and bracket matching. Next they schedule an office interview. The interview is rather simplistic but I'm very unhappy about the experience.
    First they take you into a very cold room in which the light periodically disappears every 5 minutes and have you do an IQ test at the end of which you have to write an essay. I was barely alive afterwards. Then they have you wait an hour while the results come in (no lunch, nothing). Afterwards you get a quick competency interview where they focus on why you want to work for the company and what are your expectations. They don't pay new hires more than 33k pounds.
    Afterwards you get several technical interviews. They ask you to write an algorithm for an alarm clock in a simple assembly language. Then they ask you to write an algorithm for an agent in a maze in a simple assembly language. These exercises weren't difficult but terribly annoying. Next one shows you a bunch of programs and asks what each of them does and asks how you could improve upon them.
    After every interview they have you wait for 10 minutes in the same freezing room with flaky lighting. Final step is to either write a game of life implementation, or a program that would calculate different pathways in a london tube map, standard graph stuff.
    I called it quits at this point and went home because I was very disappointed by the company.

Softwire Response

Dec 18, 2014Director

I'm very sorry your experience of interviewing with Softwire wasn't a positive one. If I can just pick up on a few points raised above:

- All our meeting/interview rooms have functioning air
    ... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Softwire in October 2014.

Contacted for a phone interview within a day of applying. Asked the two brainteasers that they seem to ask everyone.
    Final round consisted of two pseudocode questions, a short HR style interview and some IQ style tests on a computer. If you're running out of time on these tests then just guess all of the remaining answers, since it's a positive marking scheme.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Softwire.

I applied online through their website www.softwire.com. At first I had an interview via Skype, lasting around 40 minutes, and then on-site interview, lasting approximately 4-5 hours. The interviewers were friendly and the overall experience is very positive.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Softwire.

After completing the online forms you may pass and the first stage is:

Phone interview. 1.Tell me about yourself. 2. ladder question (+ if it infinite?). 3. String with {[(}]}

A week later interview in their offices in London.

Interview Questions
    • Computer tests: 1. a sort of IQ test. 2. we have some operations acting on strings and want to know the meaning of each operation. 3. essay (what's your favourite programming language).   View Answer
    • Interview with two members of the team: you need to come up with an algorithm for certain problem --> look for "two robots on a line".   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

45min phone interview. Asked me why software, why softwire, some questions about a project I was involved with. then technical questions: youve got a ladder and some eggs, how can we find out which is the highest rung the eggs can fall from. How can we make it faster? then how many guesses will it take us? what if the ladders infinite? Then asked to devise an algorthm for checking if strings containing brackets: [] {} () are correct. Thats all.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Softwire in February 2014.

Applied online and quickly got asked for a phone interview. The phone interview was kind of weird, asked a few questions about mathematical logic. Difficult to answer the problems over the phone.

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Softwire.

Initial application via a straightforward online application form. Initial brainteaser style phone interview as described by other reviewers. Softwire were very quick to respond at all stages of the application process (a maximum of two days delay probably). Onsite interview process was much longer than I was expecting and consisted of multiple pseudocode problem solving puzzles, an on computer test (reasoning puzzles and essays rather than coding) and an HR style interview.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your three greatest weaknesses?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Softwire.

Measure hardness of surface using eggs dropped from ladder, binary search, max, min number of drops. Infinite ladder? Validate an expression consisting of three types of bracket (){}[]. Stack? Office Interview: IQ Test, Patrol a corridor of a maze, follow left-hand wall to solve, what are the problems using this method. [Instructions: Goto <label>, label <label>, if_wall <operation>, turn left, turn right, forward.]

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Softwire.

Applied through their website. The application process is very pragmatic and streamlined (perhaps to a fault). Had to register for an initial phone interview through another website - you are essentially free to choose whatever date or time fits your schedule.
    The phone interview lasted around 30-45 minutes and was technical in nature - some technical questions based on my application and a couple of algorithmic questions. The latter were quite thorough. You are basically asked to design algorithms for some apparently straightforward problems - you have to explain your assumptions and reasoning, motivate your decisions, identify any problems with the solutions you come up with etc.

Interview Questions
    • Measure how fragile an egg is using a ladder (of given height or infinite height) and a number (again, infinite or fixed) of eggs.   Answer Question