Softwire Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.4

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Softwire.

Interview

apply online. phone interview with ladder algorithm question and general motivational questions. on site interview is difficult. lots of tests in the morning, non verbal reasoning style. after lunch (nice cafe downstairs) some tricky tests involving producing writing a program to navigate a maze and to set an alarm clock in a made up language.

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Softwire (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I arrived at reception and was asked to sign-in and then wait for someone from HR to arrive. I was shown around the offices and then taken to a small room with a computer and told to complete an on-screen series of tests. These tests consisted of a basic IQ test (although as someone who enjoys maths, the questions about "which comes next in the sequence?" always irritate me), one designed to test your ability to manipulate shapes and orderings and then a test which required you to determine the operation associated with some symbol based on the outputs of given strings through a series of symbols. All of these tests were under a pretty strict time limit. I was then given 30 minutes to write an essay on one of a choice of topics (I chose to write about my favourite programming language). I was then given an hour long break in which to explore the local area or just relax in their chill-out room. I then had an interview with the HR woman about my general goals, CV, etc. and then I was given a sheet of paper with a made-up syntax and asked to program a robot to complete a maze, which was surprisingly difficult (the bizarre structure of the language makes it much more difficult that it would seem at first). I then (using a similar syntax) had to program an alarm clock. I was then asked if I'd ever used Ruby before, I told the interviewer that I hadn't and he gave me a "cheat sheet" containing a few examples of basic Ruby syntax and functions. A pair of interviewers then came in and asked me about a set of pre-written functions in Ruby, I had to describe what they did, provide basic optimizations and bug-fix. The final part of the interview was a question regarding two robots dropped from a plane on a straight line, and (whilst starting execution of the same program concurrently) I was asked to write a program (once again using the strange syntax) which would allow them to find each other.

Interview Questions

• How can two robots with no memory and who leave parachutes on the floor at their starting positions be guaranteed to find each other?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Softwire (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I had to apply online, they replied very promptly and arranged a phone interview. They make a promise to reply within all stages of the application within two day. i did not make it past the phone interview stage and no feedback was given, although they said they could give some back upon request.

Interview Questions

• They started by asking me to describe myself. Then why Softwire and why Software development. Then a couple of technical questions: You have an infinite number of eggs and are climbing up a 100 rung ladder, what is the most efficient way to test the hardness of the ground by dropping eggs and seeing if they break. They then asked for the efficiency of the algorithm I created and what I would do if the ladder was infinitely long. Next they asked me how to check the validity of brackets in a string. They then ended by asking if i had any questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Softwire (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Simple online application form with no lengthy competency etc. based questions which I appreciate. They replied within 2 working days and gave me an option on telephone interview dates. I was rejected at the telephone interview stage, but was impressed with the company's efficiency and the fact that I received feedback straight away.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Softwire in January 2015.

Interview

First stage involved an online application form which included some questions on past computing experience and out-of-work hobbies etc. 2 days after the online form application, I was emailed by the company to schedule a telephone interview. the interview lasted for 30 minutes and the interviewer was pretty helpful and nice. It began with some competency questions about my past programming projects, followed by technical questions. The questions are the famous egg and ladder question, followed by the bracket questions. Within a week i got reply from the company. The feedback was that i required more prompting from the interviewer in the technical question section.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most challenging part of your programming projects?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Softwire in January 2015.

Interview

Short phone interview, couple of questions about algorithms. I was invited then for an office interview. First there are an hour's worth of multiple choice IQ test type questions, followed by a short essay on a choice of topics, then an interview with a HR person. In the afternoon there were 4 technical interviews. Altogether it takes about 5-6 hours.

Interview Questions

• Write an essay on why you want to be a software developer. Write an algorithm for a robot navigating a maze. Write an algorithm to control an alarm clock.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Softwire in January 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview. At first I was asked a couple of basic questions, such as why I wanted the job. We then went onto some technical questions, one about dropping eggs from a ladder and another about devising an algorithm to check the validity of a string with round, curly and square brackets. I then had the opportunity to ask them some questions about the company. I received an email the next day saying that they had decided not to invite me to a second interview, but I received no feedback.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you have a ladder with 1000 rungs and some identical eggs. You wish to measure the hardness of the floor by finding the lowest rung at which an egg breaks when dropped. How would you do this efficiently? How many steps would this algorithm take? What if the ladder was infinitely long? Suppose that eggs are expensive and you wish to minimise the number of eggs broken?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Softwire.

Interview

Had my telephone interview: asked me a question about my computing experience; asked some algorithm based questions: dropping eggs from a ladder and estimate the height from which an egg might break; number of petrol stations in the UK.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Softwire (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Had a phone interview, it was fairly easy. Asked some usual questions about ladders and bracket matching. Next they schedule an office interview. The interview is rather simplistic but I'm very unhappy about the experience. First they take you into a very cold room in which the light periodically disappears every 5 minutes and have you do an IQ test at the end of which you have to write an essay. I was barely alive afterwards. Then they have you wait an hour while the results come in (no lunch, nothing). Afterwards you get a quick competency interview where they focus on why you want to work for the company and what are your expectations. They don't pay new hires more than 33k pounds. Afterwards you get several technical interviews. They ask you to write an algorithm for an alarm clock in a simple assembly language. Then they ask you to write an algorithm for an agent in a maze in a simple assembly language. These exercises weren't difficult but terribly annoying. Next one shows you a bunch of programs and asks what each of them does and asks how you could improve upon them. After every interview they have you wait for 10 minutes in the same freezing room with flaky lighting. Final step is to either write a game of life implementation, or a program that would calculate different pathways in a london tube map, standard graph stuff. I called it quits at this point and went home because I was very disappointed by the company.

Interview Questions

Softwire Response

Dec 18, 2014 – Director

I'm very sorry your experience of interviewing with Softwire wasn't a positive one. If I can just pick up on a few points raised above: - All our meeting/interview rooms have functioning air ... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Softwire (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview within a day of applying. Asked the two brainteasers that they seem to ask everyone. Final round consisted of two pseudocode questions, a short HR style interview and some IQ style tests on a computer. If you're running out of time on these tests then just guess all of the remaining answers, since it's a positive marking scheme.