Solar Turbines

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Solar Turbines in October 2012.

Interview Details – Initial call screening from HR. Then a phone interview was set up within a week. After I got a call back, I scheduled a panel interview that took about two hours total.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? Why are you interested in talking to us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Solar Turbines.

Interview Details – Interviewed at career fair, standard 2 v 1 interview. Both interviewers asked questions about past experiences and standard interview senarios. Interview lasted 1.25 hrs.
3-4 months later I was given a phone interview with the program manager about the job and went over my resume.
1 week later I was given word for an on-site interview.
This interview lasted all day and I was shuffled around all day to be interviewed by the team managers. They asked personal questions as well as technical questions pertaining to their specific dept. I was asked then to give a prepared 1 hr technical presentation to the entire engineering team, followed by a facility tour.
About 5-6 weeks later I was given an offer.
Total length of process from first interview to offer was 4-5 months.
So be patient if you haven't heard anything in awhile, no news isn't bad news.

Interview Question – Giving a 1hr technical lecture to a room full of engineering managers and PhDs   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, Offer was best I had plus benefits and relocation were top notch

Engineering Assistant Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Solar Turbines in June 2013.

Interview Details – Initially interviewed by contract agency and followed by a phone interview comprised of group manager and team lead and finally interviewed in person with same people. Format was more of a personal discussion rather than interrogation. Relatively "easy".

Interview Question – Just general conversational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. They had an idea of what they were willing to pay which matched what I was making prior. Seeing as I was hired through a contractor, benefits were non-negotiable. Be sure to include TOTAL compensation when negotiating.

BUYER Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Solar Turbines in August 2013.

Interview Details – The process took about 1 month, I applied online in August and received the first email to schedule a phone interview within a week. After the phone interview I received a call on a Sunday from the hiring manager to let me know he wanted to interview with me at Solar Turbines. The interview went well, it last exactly one hour, the questions were all behavioral questions and the panel was great, even though I didn´t get the job, it was a great experience and I met some wonderful people.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to make a team with a coworker and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Solar Turbines.

Interview Details – Phone interview going over technical questions. In person interview more focused on your characteristics and "what if" scenarios.

Field Service Representative Interview

Field Service Representative
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Solar Turbines in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and four months later received a call for a preliminary interview for this New Grad Engineering Position. The preliminary phone interview with HR occurred two weeks after first being contacted. Two weeks later I received notice that they would like to see me for an On-Site Interview. After the On-Site Interview which took approximately an hour and a half I received a call offering me the position.

Interview Question – STAR Questions for the entire interview   Answer Question

Field Service Representative Interview

Field Service Representative
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Solar Turbines in January 2011.

Interview Details – Apply Online - Await Call Back - Phone Interview - In-Plant Interview

Interview Question – How does a thermocouple work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Development Test Technician Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Solar Turbines in August 2010.

Interview Details – A job placement firm was responsible for giving me the opportunity to be interviewed. My longtime shipmate, who already worked at Solar Turbines, happened to notice my resume and recommended to the management to also interview me. The interview process took three hours, which included meeting the Area Coordinator, Area Supervisor, Department Lead Technician, and Development Test Engineers who all have to agree in considering me for the position.

Interview Question – Specific questions regarding the Programmable Logic Control (PLC) was somewhat difficult for me since I only had limited experience with it, at the time.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was kind of weak in my negotiation process. The contract consulting firm only allowed $20/hr for a signon and I accepted it to get my foot in the door.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Solar Turbines in January 2012.

Interview Details – It was alot of questions about teamwork, and going over my past job experience.

Interview Question – Name a time you thought outside the box   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Really wasnt much negotiation. for interns it was a standard 25 bux an hour

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Solar Turbines in November 2011.

Interview Details – Situation oriented interview from a panel of managers. Asking questions looking for specific times of occurrences and examples.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you did not agree with your boss, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary negotiation was limited to my would be peers and less to experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Solar Turbines

Worked for Solar Turbines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Solar Turbines interview questions and advice in San Diego, CA. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Solar Turbines employees and interview candidates.