SolarCity

2.6

Installation Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at SolarCity.

met a field tech, said they're hireing. aapplied on line. got an interview the next week in Albany NY. group interview, went well. met w crew supervisor. met with district manager. was a review of my resume. was very brief. recieved an un signed e mail less than 13 hr later. was not as qualified as others to get the position. was told to keep applying. I graduated 2011 SUNY applied physics. I also completed solar installation certification at Hudson valley community college. i have been in construction all my life, i have my own restoration and construction business. i also install replacement skylights on roof. i am not shure what they are looking for. I actually though the interview went well. i liked the people i met. i get the feeling that someone in corporate stopped them from hiring me.

Solar Energy Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at SolarCity.

The interview process consisted of three parts after finishing the online application process.

1. Online assessment. This portion consisted of mostly behavioral questions that you would come across in a personality test. Questions like: "Which of the following best describes you?" Aside from that, there is also a brief test of you Windows OS knowledge on a virtual Windows OS; this tests whether or not you are comfortable with the right-click actions on a windows machine, creating folders, deleting, etc.

2. Phone Interview. There's nothing difficult here, just questions about sales experience and "What makes you fit for this position?" type questions. After I answered those questions the recruiter explained what my salary would be and gave me more details about the position.

3. In-person Interview. Be able to sell the product given a scenario. Several questions about my resume. I did not find the interview terribly challenging or intense. Put your salesman hat on before you enter the interview.

Incentives Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NM

After the initial online application there was an email requesting an online assessment. This took approximately 1.5 hours total. I then received an email from HR to schedule a phone interview (quick, maybe 15 minutes tops). At the end of the call, I was scheduled for a group interview. This interview consisted of 3 interviewees put in a room whereupon 2 SolarCity employees came in for 30 minutes each session with various questions. A total of 8 different individuals visited my room. I was there a total of 1.5 hours. I later received a callback for an additional solo interview with 2 separate supervisors (this interview took approximately 20 minutes). All the interviewers were very friendly and informative.

Interview Questions
    • Name an occasion in which you were disappointed in yourself?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating. Take it or leave it.

Direct Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at SolarCity.

I was recruited from another direct sales company. Recruiting is a multi touch process and I spoke with recruiters off and on for about a month before I was flown out to CA for my formal interview. I was on the fence between this company and one of its competitors (I had an interview with their competitor in D.C. the next week) but the choice was obvious after hearing the level of passion and seeing the vision this company had.

Interview Questions
    • If I had to sum up my life's purpose into one sentence what would it be?   View Answer

Field Energy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

I received a response from a recruiter after two business days of submitting my resume electronically via the career section of their corporate website. The recruiter outlined the basics for the position and asked some general questions regarding my background in sales. At the end of the conversation she invited me to meet with several managers here in the Denver area and said she would send me an email with the address and who I would be meeting with. I never received any communication from the recruiter via email confirming an interview was in fact scheduled. The following week I received a phone call at 9:15 a.m. asking whether or not I still intended to interview for the position because they had been waiting since 9:00 a.m. The gentleman was curt and dismissive when I advised him the recruiter never finalized an interview window with me as discussed, nor provided any details about the interview location. He cut me off and stated the recruiter would be reaching out to me to schedule for the following day. A few minutes later the recruiter rang me and said they would send me the details for interview via email, which they did.

The following day I arrived to the interview location and sat down with two of the three people I expected to discuss the position with. The gentleman who had been rude during our brief phone call the day before was not present, and the two others made mention that there had been several issues with the recruiter's scheduling of late. The gentlemen explained that the Field Energy Specialist would be assigned to Home Depot stores targeting customer traffic to generate leads for the outside sales team. The schedule was Wednesday - Sunday and advancement to an Outside Sales position could take upwards of 9-12 months based on sales performance with no guarantees. They asked several questions about my sales background and what I thought about the role. The interview appeared to be more of an opportunity to discover whether or not the liked your personality and less to do with your sales acumen. They literally ran out of questions to ask within 10 - 15 minutes of the interview starting and then talked about how quickly they advanced into their current management positions after starting with the company. I was advised I would hear from the recruiter the following week, but instead I received a "thanks, but no thanks" email three weeks later stating they had reviewed my resume (no mention of an interview) and decided to pass. There appear to be some serious coordination and communication issues within the department (company) unfortunately.

The position is an in-store sales position where your goal is to engage customers as they walk by and then qualify them for SolarCity services. The leads are then submitted to the outside sales team and you receive a commission on each sale closed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked during the interview were general questions pertaining to my sales background.   Answer Question

Junior PV Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at SolarCity.

I submitted a resume and followed up by dropping into an office and asking to speak to an HR rep. I was promised an interview by an operations manager. I was interviewed in by 3 managers at once after a presentation. I was offered a position a week later which I accepted and will be relocating for.

Interview Questions
    I accepted the $15/HR starting pay standard for a jr. Installer. I will also be receiving reimbursement for relocation up to $500

Interconnection Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at SolarCity.

I started with a phone interview, where she asked the very routine questions.... Erin Ashley was AMAZING.... the process moved very fast.... i had my phone interview on a Friday, and then she told me there she wanted to schedule me for an in person... I was in to see a panel of 3 by that Tuesday, and offered the job the next morning. I filled out the paperwork, and was working within the next week...

question in the in person interview....
    i can't remember specifics, but if you cannot adapt well to change don't bother, if face paced repetitive work that will change quickly and abruptly bothers you, don't bother, if you are not a team player with a positive attitude and ready to work hard and save the planet while doing it DON'T BOTHER!!!

what I can tell you is they want to know how your previous roles make you feel like you would be a good fit for this position, they want to know how you handle change, what are your strengths, your biggest accomplishments.... stuff like that!

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation for salary, you either accept or you do not.... however know this. there is definite room for growth and opportunity to make a lot of money.... you jst have to work hard! LAZY NEGATIVE PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY

Inside Energy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

The interview process was quick, efficient, and professional. I applied online for 2 different positions over a 9 month period. I received an immediate response to my second application. The process was quick and efficient. It started with a connection job fair that lasted for a few hours. I received an overview by a manager and then had 2 separate interviews. Within a few days, I received an Email to complete an online assessment. Within another day, I received a call to interview with the Director of Inside Sales and have an RJP following. Everyone I met was professional and open. It seemed like a great company, and it was a difficult decision to not accept the offer. I received an offer from a different company that was more closely aligned with my prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very typical interview questions for a sales position. Research the company before the interview!   Answer Question

Site Surveyor and Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newburg, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newburg, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

I had a great phone interview and when I reached the face to face the body language said it all. I got the impression I was "older" then their typical hire and I had a good 15 years on the other applicants waiting to interview and they seemed to just be going through the motions. Although I have plenty of experience in line with what was being asked very little interest was paid to my experience and skills.

Field Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at SolarCity in September 2014.

worst interview I have had in my entire life. interview was rushed and the people interviewing who were supervisors had no clue about solar. The worst part was that none of the people I interviewed with seemed to know what a qualified lead was. Who are these people? They also sounded like they were out of touch with the organization they were working for.

Interview Questions
    • What do you mean by qualified lead? I was asked this on twice.   Answer Question

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!