SolarCity

2.6

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at SolarCity in December 2014.

Talked with recruiter and then with several managers. Interesting concept of building a individual power plant and selling the energy to homeowner. Managers are knowledgeable. Growth has been large with opportunities.

Web Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at SolarCity in November 2014.

Got to know about the company from a hiring event society called Scoutly. Attended the SolarCity event at company head HQ. Around 20 people attended the event. Had an initial screening interview of my resume.
    Later after few days a recruiter from SolarCity contacted me on linkedin asking if im looking for job opportunities. I replied saying i had attended the event few weeks back and no one had got back to me. The recruiter then quickly got back to me the next day saying an interview will be arranged. Had a basic phone screening. Then onsite 4 rounds of pure technical interviews with web engineer, Sr web engineer(2) and Director.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to oops and .net including asp.net , web forms and MVC. Also questions related to data structures and algorithms.
      I just remember one question. Substring implementation without using any inbuilt functions like strlen etc..

Answer Question
    They decided to give me an offer within 10 mins after my interview ended. Director himself walked me to his cabin and said he is willing to hire me and asked my expectations. I was offered what i expected so, accepted the job offer.

Direct Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at SolarCity.

I was recruited from another direct sales company. Recruiting is a multi touch process and I spoke with recruiters off and on for about a month before I was flown out to CA for my formal interview. I was on the fence between this company and one of its competitors (I had an interview with their competitor in D.C. the next week) but the choice was obvious after hearing the level of passion and seeing the vision this company had.

Interview Questions
    • If I had to sum up my life's purpose into one sentence what would it be?   View Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online – interviewed at SolarCity.

Phone interview that took about 30 minutes. Spoke with a very friendly and professional man, that had obvious years of experience. Made me feel confident in the company and happy to interview. Was turned off by low salary.

Interview Questions
    • asked all the usual questions
      -what would make you a good fit
      -what qualities are important in this position
      -weaknesses/strengths

Answer Question

30,000 base pay plus weak commission rates

Field Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at SolarCity in April 2014.

the worst process I have ever seen. chaos, disorganized, unprofessional

Interview Questions
    • scheduled for tow wrong interviews. was never asked any questions in both interviews since I was scheduled with the wrong people, finally I eliminated with unexplained reasons   View Answer

Field Energy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SolarCity.

The initial communication was with the recruiter and then the channel account manager, over the phone. After a few weeks, another follow-up phone call was set up and then an informal in-person appointment at Starbucks. Shortly after, there was a final phone call with the regional channel account manager. Communications were casual and friendly. The whole process communicating back and forth took roughly over the period of 2 months.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation, offer is set on all titled positions.

Solar Energy Retail Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at SolarCity.

Got a call from recruiter a week after applying. She forwarded my info, and I got a call the next week for another phone interview. The week after, got a call from sales channels manager to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. How will you become a good salesman?   Answer Question

Interconnection Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SolarCity.

The interview process was fairly standard for a corporate office. After submitting my resume through the SolarCity website, I received a phone call from a recruiter who wanted to ask a few questions to see if I might be a good fit for either of the two positions I had applied for. We spoke for roughly ten to fifteen minutes, then within a day or two, I received a phone call back from the recruiter letting me know they would like to schedule an in-person interview and was informed that it would last at least an hour. On the day of the interview, I met with first the manager of the team I had interviewed for, then a second interview with all the members of the team, then a third with another manager of a supporting team (and the other team for which I had also applied) along with the first manager, and then lastly a fourth meeting with the director of the group. After these four meetings, the manager escorted me outside after shaking my hands. All four were conducted in a friendly yet formal manner, allowing them to ask me questions and then allowed me with time to ask them anything I would like to know. A few days later the manager followed up with me to ask a few follow up questions, and then a few days after that, I received a phone call from the manager herself letting me know she would like to extend an offer.

Interview Questions
    • As I had not interviewed at many corporate offices before this company, I was a bit taken about when they had asked to describe an incident that I was least proud of in my career and what I did or wish I had done to try to improve the situation.   Answer Question

FEC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at SolarCity in July 2013.

They advertised the position on Indeed. Got a call a few months later. Had two interviews with the same person before I was offered the job. Very straight forward sales interviews. What are your strengths, Why do you think that you would be right for this position, Why should we higher you etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really tough or surprising about their questions. If you have been going out on other interviews you should encounter nothing different here.   Answer Question
    no negotiating. It was take it or leave it.

Senior Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SolarCity in March 2013.

I came in to the office on 3 different occasions (once for an informational interview, and twice for actual scheduled interviews). For the scheduled interviews, HR set up time with individuals and booked conference rooms; however, they were unavailalbe at the end of the day and so the last interviewee just walked me out. This made me feel as if the company was disorganized and didn't value my time in the office for the interviews.

Interview Questions
    I attempted to negotiate on two items and was turned down on both. I was also asked to start less than 2 weeks notice from my current employer, which I felt was unfair and was able to push back 1 week.