SolarWinds

29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview Details – My initial phone interview with the HR recruiter went really well! She was friendly and prompt on contacting me and responding to any questions I had. However, I think she could have been more upfront about the team and the role. Ultimately, when I went in for the face-to-face interview, the hiring manager was much more upfront about the pressure and demanding nature of the sales role.

I do expect all sales roles to have a level of demand, competition and stress - it makes for an exciting sales environment but she painted a rosey picture and I got a very different vibe from the hiring manager. Feedback from former employees I know that worked there was much more in line with what the hiring manager conveyed.

All in all, the interview process was quick (less than a week), from submitting my resume to a face-to-face interview. I think they could have been a little more upfront in the phone interview so my time or the hiring manager's time wasn't wasted but they were overall very quick and I appreciate that in the process.

Interview Question – Questions were all pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview Details – Interview involved 6 rounds with first round being a panel interview. Questions ranged from technical to behavioral and were more or less within expectations of my resume. Interviewers were smart and spent adequate time explaining the role and leaving time for question and answers. Overall the toughest part was staying energetic after several rounds of interviews going through very similar conversations.

Interview Question – Provide top 3 considerations for prioritizing a new feature into roadmap.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate. Not a whole lot of leeway, possibly 2%

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Senior Network Engineer

Interviewed at SolarWinds

Interview Details – The interview process was very professional. After the initial contact by the recruiter, I had a technical phone interview by the team, followed by two more in person interviews. The first interview was at the company Headquarters, and the second was less formal at a local Austin restaurant.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was, "If hired, in six months what will we most dislike about you". I must admit this stumped me and took me awhile to come with an answer that was not damaging to the first impression I was trying to make. Good luck!   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

SEM Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at SolarWinds in December 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 5 different people within a 2.5hr block starting with a Senior Vice President of Demand Generation and going down the organizational chart to another SEM Analyst, each person scheduled to interview me for 30 minutes. Everything seemed like a normal interview until about the 3rd person in. That person not only showed up late but I started to notice a trend that each person had really terrible things to say about their own company, Solarwinds.

Each person, starting with my 1st interview (SVP) mentioned that things were not the best at the company and that there is a "transitional" phase that the company is currently in and if I were to get hired, I should be able to sustain "some hardships" initially. The 2nd interviewer complained about that most of those currently working at Solarwinds have been employed there less than 2 or 3 years. That threw up another red flag to me as well. The most surprising negative comment made by one of my interviewers at Solarwinds was when the SEM Manager (4th interviewer) said that this would be a place that I should expect to work "a couple of years while you gain experience and search for another position".

After the interviews finished up, I had a bad feeling about the company. You would think that interviewing with the company for 2.5hrs would at least warrant a response from the company....or at least 1 of the 5 interviewers to let me know whether I was hired, invited back for a 2nd interview, or not a good fit. I sent 2 emails, 1 per week for the following 2 weeks after the interview asking for feedback. I have yet to receive a response! Nothing, zilch...nada. It's been 7 weeks since my interview and I'm actually glad that they did not try to pursue me as a new hire.

Interview Question – "Are you mentally capable of doing a purely functional role that has many repetitive tasks and reporting?"   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SolarWinds in October 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me about 5 days after I had submitted my resume and scheduled a 30 minute phone screen with her. After the phone screen, I was forwarded to the hiring manager. About a week later, my 30 minute phone screen with the hiring manager was scheduled. It lasted a little more than 40 minutes. We discussed my background and the needs of the organization. At the end of the phone screen, the hiring manager said she wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. The recruiter reached out to me to schedule 2 days after the phone screen. My interview was scheduled with 4 individuals for 30 minutes each. The interviewers ranged from potential co-workers to the hiring manager herself. Each of the interviews spent a good chunk of the interview talking about themselves, their roles and how the recent reorg had changed things. To be honest, it felt like I was listening in on a vent session. Only one of the interviewers actually asked me probing questions about my skills and experiences. I came away from the interview feeling as if they were actively trying to dissuade me from wanting to work there.
After the interview was over, I never heard back from them, despite me reaching out to the recruiter and sending the hiring manager a thank you note.

Interview Question – I was prepared for behavioral questions (tell me about a time...) but most of the interview consisted of me listening to the interviewers talk about how much "change" was occurring in the organization.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview Details – Quick process. Short phone screen then meet with sales managers.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR person only to setup an interview, no details provided at initial point o contact. Follow up interview was over the phone to headquarters in Austin for a job at N-able in Ottawa. The phone interview was short (30 mins) and consisted purely of on-the-job scenarios and my response to given situations.

Interview Question – What was unexpected was no discussion of the job, the product, or the company. Typically hiring managers are looking to entice you somewhat with an interesting product and company. Not here.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at SolarWinds in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty swift and straightforward - a phone screen with the person whom I'd report to, followed by a battery of 30-minute interviews a few days later in a 3-hour span and a final interview with an executive.

Interview Question – What demotivates you? It was a new twist on the "what's your weakness" bit that I was not expecting. The interviewer agreed to table the question and we came back to it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didn't decline per se but that seems to be the best option - they made an offer, I accepted via email but they rescinded the offer as I waited for a final offer letter with corrections on what we agreed verbally.

I was told it was due to internal communications breakdown.

Very Easy Interview

Help Desk Interview

Help Desk
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview Details – I applied over craigslist and received an email for a telephone interview. That went over alright and they asked me to come in for an in-person interview. We discussed the job duties and I was given a tour of the facility. However, this company did not call me back to let me know if I'd been turned down or received the job. I contacted them 4 times (by phone and email) and they could not extend the courtesy of formally telling me I did not get the job. Due to my experience here, I would not recommend this as a place to work, or as a company. They lack the basic manners any company should employ in their practices.

Interview Question – They asked me about my experience, nothing really too difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Technical Support Interview

Technical Support
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at SolarWinds in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted Resume Online, contacted for interview, Had one on one interview with Reporting Manger, followed by (same-day) panel interview with Director & peer Managers, received offer 2 days later. Negotiated for 1 day and accepted terms

Interview Question – Its was overly relaxed and the first interviewer talked more about themselves then they did about the company or the relevance of the work. The panel interview was brief with basic questions, nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation of vacation time and Salary

Worked for SolarWinds? Contribute to the Community!