SolarWinds

Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.7

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at SolarWinds.

I was contacted by the recruiter for a product manager position after I had applied online. Eve though he contacted me, I had to constantly be in touch with him to have a call. And finally out of the blue, he called. After our initial call the recruiter made me realize that my experience would be better suited for this one product marketing position which I felt was very professional of him. He ended the call saying that he would arrange a follow up call with the hiring manager. And then that call never happened. After multiple email reminders and voicemails over a course of three weeks, I never heard back from the recruiter. It is unfortunate that a good company like Solarwinds have these bad apples that can ruin your overall experience.

Interview Questions
    • none. asked me about my experience, salary expectation   Answer Question

Senior Front End Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SolarWinds in October 2014.

Interviews were lined up pretty fast although it was a week and a half out, but the team bailed within a few hours of the scheduled interview.

As an alternative, I did 2 phone interviews over the span of 6 days.

The first one was odd, the person I spoke with had serious social ineptitude, and it came off STRONG. It was super awkward talking with him, and he made it difficult to actually discuss anything. He didn't seem to know when to start or stop talking.

He also asked a TON of questions not related to Front End Development, and ended up asking c#/c++ questions. I still answered them fine, but I was caught off guard.

The 2nd phone interview was pretty great - the guy was nice to talk to, we had a lot in common, and felt the same way about various things.

However.... After all said and done, no one contacted me back. It's been 2 weeks without hearing back, and no responses to my emails.

EXTREMELY unprofessional. A simple "We decided to go with someone else" would be better, even if it was a lie.

Interview Questions
    • How do you go about setting up a project.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SolarWinds in August 2014.

The interview was pretty much straight forward with very clear and objective questions and the interviewers acted always in a polite and respectful manner. The whole process from the 1st phone interview to hiring took about 10 days.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SolarWinds.

My initial phone interview with the HR recruiter went really well! She was friendly and prompt on contacting me and responding to any questions I had. However, I think she could have been more upfront about the team and the role. Ultimately, when I went in for the face-to-face interview, the hiring manager was much more upfront about the pressure and demanding nature of the sales role.

I do expect all sales roles to have a level of demand, competition and stress - it makes for an exciting sales environment but she painted a rosey picture and I got a very different vibe from the hiring manager. Feedback from former employees I know that worked there was much more in line with what the hiring manager conveyed.

All in all, the interview process was quick (less than a week), from submitting my resume to a face-to-face interview. I think they could have been a little more upfront in the phone interview so my time or the hiring manager's time wasn't wasted but they were overall very quick and I appreciate that in the process.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview involved 6 rounds with first round being a panel interview. Questions ranged from technical to behavioral and were more or less within expectations of my resume. Interviewers were smart and spent adequate time explaining the role and leaving time for question and answers. Overall the toughest part was staying energetic after several rounds of interviews going through very similar conversations.

Interview Questions
    • Provide top 3 considerations for prioritizing a new feature into roadmap.   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate. Not a whole lot of leeway, possibly 2%

Senior Network Engineer Interview

The interview process was very professional. After the initial contact by the recruiter, I had a technical phone interview by the team, followed by two more in person interviews. The first interview was at the company Headquarters, and the second was less formal at a local Austin restaurant.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was, "If hired, in six months what will we most dislike about you". I must admit this stumped me and took me awhile to come with an answer that was not damaging to the first impression I was trying to make. Good luck!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SolarWinds in January 2014.

Recruiter schedules a short phone interview. Then a face to face if you impress. Interview style depends on the manager. Everyone is pretty intelligent so be able to think on your toes. This is a fast moving company so adaptability and a competitive nature is a must. Previous sales background is required (possible exceptions).

Interview Questions
    • I enjoyed the interview. Spoke mostly about my prior experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SolarWinds.

Quick process. Short phone screen then meet with sales managers.

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at SolarWinds in December 2013.

Interviewed with 5 different people within a 2.5hr block starting with a Senior Vice President of Demand Generation and going down the organizational chart to another SEM Analyst, each person scheduled to interview me for 30 minutes. Everything seemed like a normal interview until about the 3rd person in. That person not only showed up late but I started to notice a trend that each person had really terrible things to say about their own company, Solarwinds.

Each person, starting with my 1st interview (SVP) mentioned that things were not the best at the company and that there is a "transitional" phase that the company is currently in and if I were to get hired, I should be able to sustain "some hardships" initially. The 2nd interviewer complained about that most of those currently working at Solarwinds have been employed there less than 2 or 3 years. That threw up another red flag to me as well. The most surprising negative comment made by one of my interviewers at Solarwinds was when the SEM Manager (4th interviewer) said that this would be a place that I should expect to work "a couple of years while you gain experience and search for another position".

After the interviews finished up, I had a bad feeling about the company. You would think that interviewing with the company for 2.5hrs would at least warrant a response from the company....or at least 1 of the 5 interviewers to let me know whether I was hired, invited back for a 2nd interview, or not a good fit. I sent 2 emails, 1 per week for the following 2 weeks after the interview asking for feedback. I have yet to receive a response! Nothing, zilch...nada. It's been 7 weeks since my interview and I'm actually glad that they did not try to pursue me as a new hire.

Interview Questions
    • "Are you mentally capable of doing a purely functional role that has many repetitive tasks and reporting?"   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SolarWinds.

I was contacted by HR person only to setup an interview, no details provided at initial point o contact. Follow up interview was over the phone to headquarters in Austin for a job at N-able in Ottawa. The phone interview was short (30 mins) and consisted purely of on-the-job scenarios and my response to given situations.

Interview Questions
    • What was unexpected was no discussion of the job, the product, or the company. Typically hiring managers are looking to entice you somewhat with an interesting product and company. Not here.   Answer Question