Solazyme Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Research Associate- Analytical Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Solazyme in May 2012.

I was contacted by the Director of Analytics via telephone approximately two months after submitting my application. I talked to him on the phone for approximately forty minutes about the position, at the end of which, being interested in the position, he said an hr representative would send me an e-mail to schedule an interview. I was contacted within the next few days with the interview time and a list of the people whom I would be meeting.

The first interview consisted of meeting all the members of the department I would be working in. I spent an hour with the Director, and approximately 45 minutes with the senior research associate and each of the three other analytics research associates. The director informed me of the flow of samples through the lab from the other departments and other aspects of the labs operation. The questions directed at me were all appropriate for the work being done. The interview lasted approximately four hours at the end of which I was informed the hr representative would be contacting me for a second interview with an internal application with desired salary/ etc.

I was contacted with the attachments and the interview schedule. This interview was longer, approximately five hours, and consisted of interviews again with all the members of the department I would be working in, as well as the directors of all the other departments. This interview was more technical than the last, though not egregiously so. At the conclusion I was interviewed by some hiring representative would didn't say much besides "your requested salary seems a lot higher than your last job." My last job was a gig I had before I graduated that was 10$/ hr plus commission. I replied by saying "well, I now have a degree and a friend of mine with the same degree has a similar salary as an entry level lab technician." After that the interview concluded and I was informed I would be contacted if they wanted to make an offer.

Another note is that for both interviews, they provided lunch, which was very hospitable and nice.

Interview Questions
    • The Director of QC asked me if there had been a background correction while using an ICP-OES for trace determination on my graduation project. I froze up for a second because the background correction had been done by the Professor who operated the ICP, so I at first said I wasn't sure, but then changed my answer to yes.   Answer Question
    I was contacted by the Director of Analytics who informed me I would receive an offer letter via email. I received the offer letter which stated the salary I had desired, signed it and forwarded to the company.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Solazyme in January 2012.

Recruiting team was excellent. Got back to me quickly and answered a lot of questions. I felt very prepared for the interview. The Business Development team seemed a bit disorganized. Everyone has their own agenda which is normal, I suspect. Solazyme has really interesting technology but they are picky. I wasn't chosen for a second interview because I didn't have enough industry experience. I really enjoyed the interview experience and hope they will call me in the future.

Interview Questions
    • If I could create a position for you that would encompass everything you are looking for in your next job, what would that position look like?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Solazyme in October 2009.

I was contacted by HR via phone and answered some basic initial questions. The HR person was very pleasant and fun to talk with both on the phone at at the on site interview. I had a short conversation with the hiring manager on the phone and they indicated that the HR person would contact me to set up an on site interview. It took a few days before the HR person contacted me, and the interview was scheduled several days later due to difficulties scheduling all of the necessary people. At the on site interview, I spoke to several people individually and gave a presentation. Everyone was very friendly and pleasant. It seems like it would be a very nice environment to work in.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you can do to help the program advance?   Answer Question

Worked for Solazyme? Contribute to the Community!