Solium Capital

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shelton, CT

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Solium Capital in December 2011.

Interview Details – After the 1 on 1 interview with hiring manager, I was given a choice to solve one problem out of 3.
 All three problems were medium difficult. I had the program running in 3 days. But my program was to verbose, and they wanted tight and neat code instead.

Interview Question – Write a program that calculates the optimum distribution of poker chips that maximizes the number of chips that each player receives while also making sure everyone receives the SAME breakdown of poker chips   Answer Question

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Solium Capital.

Interview Details – Started with a phone screen that went through the recruiting process and where they offered to answer any questions I had about the environment, processes, or teams. They said that I could either write some code from a problem set or give them some code that was an example of what I could do. I don't have much non-work code, so completed one of their problems. I guess they like it because I was called in for a technical interview. They asked me about my design decisions and seemed to have gone through things in detail. After that I had a second interview that was more like a "standard" type interview. Everybody was pretty laid back .

Interview Question – I guess that toughest question was they asked why I didn't test for a bug in my program. I thought it was nice that they interviewed (and then hired) me even though I made mistakes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I think I got a fair offer based on market rates from what I know. They offered to meet in person, but I didn't have the time so did it over the phone. They explained all the various benefits (pretty standard, nothing super special there) and then we negotiated the base salary and start date. I needed to give a long lead time at my current job and they were fine with that.

Support Manager Interview

Support Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Solium Capital in June 2011.

Interview Details – Faced a room with developers and one senior manager. Seemed like I was interviewing more for a programming position than a manager position. Decent questions asked, nothing strange. The least formal interview I've experienced, everybody was pretty laid back. I was dressed in a button up shirt and dress pants, people in the interview were in jeans and t-shirts.

Interview Question – Solve an issue where a process keeps spinning and eating up CPU.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Calgary, AB (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Solium Capital in January 2010.

Interview Details – The pre-interview screening required you to select from 3 ACM programming contest style problems. You can complete one of the problems as you see fit and submit your solution via email. The questions are fairly difficult and require a good background in algorithmics, and valid solutions require techniques such as dynamic programming and basic mathematical knowledge in graphics programming. After submitting what (as far as I knew) was a correct solution, the recipient promptly thanked for my time and interest and explained that they found another candidate. I followed up hoping for some feedback (was my code correct? What could I have done better) but was ignored.
EDIT: One of the developers did get back to me a few weeks after the fact with some solid feedback. Take the time to document your code, write automated test cases and pretend someone will look at your code 5 years from now. Personally I cannot be bothered to put more than a few hours toward an interview pre-screening question but serious applicants should be prepared to put forth a good solid effort.

Interview Question – Given a set of coordinates on a Euclidean geometric plane and points that define a polygon, check to see if all the points are contained within the polygon.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Solium Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Solium Capital interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Solium Capital employees and interview candidates.