Solium Capital

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Solium Capital

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelton, CT

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Solium Capital in December 2011.

After the 1 on 1 interview with hiring manager, I was given a choice to solve one problem out of 3.
     All three problems were medium difficult. I had the program running in 3 days. But my program was to verbose, and they wanted tight and neat code instead.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program that calculates the optimum distribution of poker chips that maximizes the number of chips that each player receives while also making sure everyone receives the SAME breakdown of poker chips   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Solium Capital in April 2014.

A phone interview with the architect, mostly asked about resume. Then, I was given a coding assignment to do in one week and then they contacted me to have a group webx interview with some team leads and they asked questions about the assignment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Solium Capital.

Started with a phone screen that went through the recruiting process and where they offered to answer any questions I had about the environment, processes, or teams. They said that I could either write some code from a problem set or give them some code that was an example of what I could do. I don't have much non-work code, so completed one of their problems. I guess they like it because I was called in for a technical interview. They asked me about my design decisions and seemed to have gone through things in detail. After that I had a second interview that was more like a "standard" type interview. Everybody was pretty laid back .

Interview Questions
    • I guess that toughest question was they asked why I didn't test for a bug in my program. I thought it was nice that they interviewed (and then hired) me even though I made mistakes.   Answer Question
    I think I got a fair offer based on market rates from what I know. They offered to meet in person, but I didn't have the time so did it over the phone. They explained all the various benefits (pretty standard, nothing super special there) and then we negotiated the base salary and start date. I needed to give a long lead time at my current job and they were fine with that.

Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Solium Capital in June 2011.

Faced a room with developers and one senior manager. Seemed like I was interviewing more for a programming position than a manager position. Decent questions asked, nothing strange. The least formal interview I've experienced, everybody was pretty laid back. I was dressed in a button up shirt and dress pants, people in the interview were in jeans and t-shirts.

Interview Questions
    • Solve an issue where a process keeps spinning and eating up CPU.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Solium Capital in January 2010.

The pre-interview screening required you to select from 3 ACM programming contest style problems. You can complete one of the problems as you see fit and submit your solution via email. The questions are fairly difficult and require a good background in algorithmics, and valid solutions require techniques such as dynamic programming and basic mathematical knowledge in graphics programming. After submitting what (as far as I knew) was a correct solution, the recipient promptly thanked for my time and interest and explained that they found another candidate. I followed up hoping for some feedback (was my code correct? What could I have done better) but was ignored.
    EDIT: One of the developers did get back to me a few weeks after the fact with some solid feedback. Take the time to document your code, write automated test cases and pretend someone will look at your code 5 years from now. Personally I cannot be bothered to put more than a few hours toward an interview pre-screening question but serious applicants should be prepared to put forth a good solid effort.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of coordinates on a Euclidean geometric plane and points that define a polygon, check to see if all the points are contained within the polygon.   Answer Question