Solstice Mobile

2.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile .

Had my resume referred by a colleague who was an ex-colleague of a Solstice employee. Received a call from recruiting office within 3 days. After a 30 minute call reviewing behavioral questions and my current job search parameters, I was given a coding challenge to create a specific Android or iOS app (my choice) in 48 hours. Was given the option to receive the assignment immediately or at a time of my choosing to allow for the best 48 hour window that worked for me.

After submitting my app, I heard back the next day that it was being reviewed and should expect to hear back in a few days. Later that week, the recruiter contacted me and had positive feedback on my submission and wanted to schedule a phone interview with a developer, which I did on Friday. The questions were mostly focused on determining how much of the Android environment I already knew. That was scheduled for Friday, and on Monday afterward I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I went in and met with a mid-level developer and a principal. The mid-level asked a bunch of rather unrelated questions but no tough questions, and the principal just chatted me up for an hour, we had a great time.

I received an offer two days later, and was given a week to consider. They offered the salary I had asked for, despite the fact that it was a significant jump from my current salary.

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in February 2014.

Direct onsite call through reference.Was asked to do a coding challenge on Android.was fairly simple.The onsite interview had no live coding.Some Questions on OOP and some on my experience.Still havent replied as their hiring process hasnt yet started.

Interview Questions
    • basics of OOP,Garbage collection,Activities(android),Views,Abstract classes   Answer Question

Senior Mobile Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in March 2013.

The process starts with a phone call with a technical recruiter. If this conversation goes well it moves onto a small coding assignment. Once this was completed and reviewed, a phone interview with a technical employee is set up. Following this interview an in-person interview is scheduled with 2 parts: A discussion with a member of leadership and a interview with 2 technical employees.

The execution of the interview process seemed very disorganized. The interview questions and discussion did not match the job description and there seemed to be miscommunication between the members of their team regarding the subjects to focus on. Many questions were asked in a very vague sense or related to some obscure language feature. There were no questions relating to general problem solving, design patterns, algorithms, object oriented programming, or data structures.

I got the impression that everyone had a different idea of the experience they were looking for in a candidate. The process seem to drag on, lacked follow up, and was very inconsistent. At different points I was told that they were preparing an offer, then preparing an improvement on that offer, and finally that they no longer intended to make an offer.

Overall, it seems like a good company with a true agile work environment and intelligent technical engineers. However, the overall execution of the interview process was poor and inconsistent. Hopefully they can work out these issues as they mature.

Solstice Mobile Response

Aug 19, 2013CEO

Thank you for this feedback. I think you bring up some valid points. The role you were applying for had a few different tracts; either helping out on pre-sales and strategy engagements or leading ... More

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in May 2012.

Had a great initial conversation with an employee at a career fair. Received a call from a recruiter a few months later and answered screening questions. One phone interview with an employee in a similar role, then another with someone in a higher role. I made a great effort to research about the company and basically expressed my interest in working for a growing company in a cutting edge environment. Each person there seemed smart and excited about what they were doing.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall any question that was particularly difficult. It seemed they were trying to get a sense for cultural fit, a passion for technology, and demonstrated experience.   Answer Question