Solstice Mobile

Solstice Mobile Interview Questions

2.9

Technical Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile .

Had my resume referred by a colleague who was an ex-colleague of a Solstice employee. Received a call from recruiting office within 3 days. After a 30 minute call reviewing behavioral questions and my current job search parameters, I was given a coding challenge to create a specific Android or iOS app (my choice) in 48 hours. Was given the option to receive the assignment immediately or at a time of my choosing to allow for the best 48 hour window that worked for me.

After submitting my app, I heard back the next day that it was being reviewed and should expect to hear back in a few days. Later that week, the recruiter contacted me and had positive feedback on my submission and wanted to schedule a phone interview with a developer, which I did on Friday. The questions were mostly focused on determining how much of the Android environment I already knew. That was scheduled for Friday, and on Monday afterward I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I went in and met with a mid-level developer and a principal. The mid-level asked a bunch of rather unrelated questions but no tough questions, and the principal just chatted me up for an hour, we had a great time.

I received an offer two days later, and was given a week to consider. They offered the salary I had asked for, despite the fact that it was a significant jump from my current salary.

IT Support Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in August 2014.

Everyone was extremely communicative and transparent throughout the entire process. I got a request for a phone screening by an internal recruiter within 12 hours of submitting my resume and cover letter. I talked to their IT Manager just a couple of days later and they set up an in-person interview shortly after that. The whole process was one of the best interview processes I have been through. They very clearly have a strong culture that they're proud of and it shows. The interview itself was more of a discussion of my past, how I'd used the skills I listed on my resume, what direction I was headed in, and why I wanted to be at the company. I talked to 3 different people over the course of an hour or so. It was all very positive and conversational. This should be a rule of thumb for any job but simply don't lie on your resume and remember the things you worked on that demonstrate the skills you list. It turns it into a technical discussion. I think you definitely want to come off as someone who wants to grow their skills and, in turn, contribute that back to the company. This is true for any role I think, but it's especially true here. As I said, their culture is important to them and fitting in with that goes a long way.

My only disappointment in not getting the job is that they ended up changing the role after the interviews were over to a more entry-level, part time position and thus, I ended up not getting the job. That said, they were transparent and communicative even with this when they didn't have to be so I give them a lot of credit.

This seems to be a great company. I'm sad I won't be able to work with the people there but glad I'll be able to stay in touch with them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about both past and future. Think along the lines of: what have you done in your career that has prepared you for the role and how do you think you will evolve in the role in the future?   Answer Question

Mobile Product Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile .

Applied online. Went through the interview process and had a couple interviews. Made it to the final one and had such a great interview that I was almost sure I was going to get the offer. Myself and the interviewer really connected. They emailed me and told me another candidate seemed to have more interest in technology than me. Not sure how you can measure my interest in technology over a half hour phone call with few technology based questions.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile .

Phone Screen, followed by creating an android App

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in February 2014.

Direct onsite call through reference.Was asked to do a coding challenge on Android.was fairly simple.The onsite interview had no live coding.Some Questions on OOP and some on my experience.Still havent replied as their hiring process hasnt yet started.

Interview Questions
    • basics of OOP,Garbage collection,Activities(android),Views,Abstract classes   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Phone screens, coding challenge, then tech interview + normal interview

Senior Mobile Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in March 2013.

The process starts with a phone call with a technical recruiter. If this conversation goes well it moves onto a small coding assignment. Once this was completed and reviewed, a phone interview with a technical employee is set up. Following this interview an in-person interview is scheduled with 2 parts: A discussion with a member of leadership and a interview with 2 technical employees.

The execution of the interview process seemed very disorganized. The interview questions and discussion did not match the job description and there seemed to be miscommunication between the members of their team regarding the subjects to focus on. Many questions were asked in a very vague sense or related to some obscure language feature. There were no questions relating to general problem solving, design patterns, algorithms, object oriented programming, or data structures.

I got the impression that everyone had a different idea of the experience they were looking for in a candidate. The process seem to drag on, lacked follow up, and was very inconsistent. At different points I was told that they were preparing an offer, then preparing an improvement on that offer, and finally that they no longer intended to make an offer.

Overall, it seems like a good company with a true agile work environment and intelligent technical engineers. However, the overall execution of the interview process was poor and inconsistent. Hopefully they can work out these issues as they mature.

Solstice Mobile Response

Aug 19, 2013CEO

Thank you for this feedback. I think you bring up some valid points. The role you were applying for had a few different tracts; either helping out on pre-sales and strategy engagements or leading ... More

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Solstice Mobile in May 2012.

Had a great initial conversation with an employee at a career fair. Received a call from a recruiter a few months later and answered screening questions. One phone interview with an employee in a similar role, then another with someone in a higher role. I made a great effort to research about the company and basically expressed my interest in working for a growing company in a cutting edge environment. Each person there seemed smart and excited about what they were doing.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall any question that was particularly difficult. It seemed they were trying to get a sense for cultural fit, a passion for technology, and demonstrated experience.   Answer Question