1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lehi, UT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

The process took 5 days - interviewed at SolutionStream in June 2011.

I was called by a hiring manager performed a quick phone interview. He emailed me the next day to set on an on site interview.

The on site interview had four parts, not including the obligatory tour:
First I was interviewed by two project managers and the hiring manager, who asked fairly typical interview questions about my experience and probed my resume a bit.

Next I was interviewed by a lead programmer and a couple of developers. Again, they asked the sort of questions you expect about data structures, algorithms, and general programming knowledge, basically making sure you knew what you said you did. The developers then left and there was a one on one interview with the lead programmer, who probed much more deeply into my knowledge and experience with specific technologies, especially hibernate.

Finally there was a one on one interview with one of the owners. He was very candid about the type of environment I could expect, the variety of projects one would have to work on, the variety of technologies you would have to learn, and the difficulty of staying on the leading edge as a developer. He described it as "drinking out of the fire hose". He was very clearly proud of his company and it's culture, but wanted potential employees to know what they were getting into. He was very forthright and honest, and in hindsight his descriptions of the company culture were spot on.

Finally there was a final interview with the hiring manager discussing salary expectations and benefits.

All in all I found the Hiring Manager and Owner to be refreshingly forthright and honest.

Interview Questions
I received a phone call two days later from the hiring manager wanting to make an offer. I really liked working with him, he was very strait forward and didn't use any of the traditional bartering tactics or play any games. I informed him I liked the company, but was in the process of interviewing with several companies and wanted to make a good decision. I told him i didn't really like negotiating games, and would like to work at Solutionstream, but wanted to make sure I got the best offer, and that if he could hit x (about 33% over what I was currently making, I thought I was shooting high for sure) I would know I was getting as good a deal as I could expect, and would accept the offer without further negotiation.

He let me know that the team lead had asked him to try and get me on, and said my offer was higher than they would normally expect, but since the team lead was interested and they needed a new engineer he could probably convince him to meet my request. Again, in hindsight I can say I think he was being very honest and strait forward, and really acted as my advocate during negotiations instead of trying to get the best possible deal.

The next day they called back to make an offer at my asked amount.

Worked for SolutionStream? Contribute to the Community!