Interview Question

User Experience Researcher Interview Bellevue, WA

Someone on the team has a strong opinion about how a

certain feature should be designed, but you disagree that it is a good user experience. How do you approach the situation?
Answer

Interview Answer

2 Answers

I was asked this very same question during my interview. I answered that: (1) obviously that person has thought about his/her position before taking that stance; (2) I assume that we all want to do a good job and improve the product; (3) start with common ground from that opinion and show how that opinion is somehow flawed - show a divergence; (4) be diplomatic.... I got the job but somehow I think this was not the right answer.

Someone on Jun 13, 2013

1. Probe to understand the other person’s mental model. What are the core, testable assumptions around which they believe a certain experience is correct?

For example, do they believe that your customer base values <X> or does <Y>, just because they value it themselves, or have anecdotal experiences via someone they know?

2. Create the context in which the other party feels comfortable with your introducing data that tests those hypotheses:
    - design patterns in similar existing user interfaces
    - prior research (if you work for a large company) or analytics
    - external research (market research, academic research, anything)

3. If you can’t get anywhere, do a bake-off on usertesting with representative participants. Make sure you’re not just asking for preference, but looking for the underlying, broader goals, values & beliefs that lead to those preferences.

Brian on Jan 26, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.