Sonic Automotive Interview Questions

2.5

Experience Guide Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive.

Was brought to a building they were renting out. Asked me many questions about my hobbies, what had driven me, what I knew about the company. Very warm and genuine people. You really could tell they had a passion for this business and not just some kool aid drinking bull. Met with one manager, then met with the general manager of hiring for Denver. They said they were very impressed would call within a week or so.

Interview Questions
    • Probably just why I wanted this job. You always want to make sure you're going in for the right reasons.   Answer Question
    After about a week I was called and was sent an offer of employment. I accepted.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive.

There was a 3 interview process, one with the GM, one with another manager, and one with the HR representative. Nicely structured not too tough. Normal questions nothing out of the normal. It is all based on the General manger.

Receptionist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive.

Submitted my resume online and received an email the next day. I scheduled an interview later that week and met with an office manager and another manager. After having a simple interview with both mainly discussing why i'd like to work here and what qualified me for the position, I was asked to return later to meet with the GM. The following Monday I met with the GM and was offered the position. I first had to pass a background test that was done in HR and later I visited a clinic to complete a drug screening before the position was made official.

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything difficult, but they did ask what I knew about the company.   Answer Question
    I negotiated my hourly wage. I just mentioned my desired wage and the first offer was a little less. When offered the position, they offered me what I had asked,

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive.

slow, they do credit checks, drug testing and an interview process with the manager. HR should have their hands in this hiring process at some point but they do not from what I have seen.

no negotation

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sonic Automotive in June 2013.

I came to know about their job vacancy in the internet and so I applied on line. they were prompt in their response and was able to set interview appointment in less than 2 weeks from the time i applied. i got interviewed by 4 managers including HR with a set of questions to be answered. most of the questions were about sales experience, how you conduct yourself in business, what are your best assets and skills, what motivates you, your aspirations and what you can contribute to the company.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation since they presented the base draw and that the commission is based on your monthly performance, which i think is fair.

Salesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sonic Automotive in March 2013.

I submitted my resume via email and was contacted a short while later by the Sales Manager I would be reporting to.

It took so long that here is my timeline for the interview itself:

11:AM Showed up on time. Sales Mgr. was with a customer. Receptionist-- who was very nice, asked me to wait and told me to help myself to coffee from new coffee machines they had just received.

11:45AM Sales Mgr. invites me into his office. Cool guy, we spoke for a while and I felt very comfortable. All good, until he told me I had to meet with two other people in the sales department, one guy was his boss, the Head Sales Manager, the other guy was the head of the BDC Dept. AND I should come back to him when I finished. That's four interviews in a day, if you're keeping tabs, kids.

12:15PM Head Sales Manager is with a customer, so again, I wait. Almost 45 minutes. I'm actually keeping tabs now. It's been over an hour since my arrival. He finally calls me in and it takes about ten minutes at most. The gist of it: if the guy who interviewed you liked you, I like you. Told me the new dept. they were setting up was a "gold mine" (far from it in retrospect). I mention that I was told to speak to the head of the BDC dept. So, it's off to reception again...

12:45PM New Receptionist. Very snotty this time. Tells me she'll call him and let him know I'm waiting and goes back to chatting with her friend. Very professional-- not. I might note, there were also customers milling around and she was ignoring them too. Big red flag that I should have seen and walked out on. Instead I go sit down in the waiting area where there is a big screen TV.

1:45PM There's only so much daytime television a girl can watch. It's been an hour, and no BDC Manager in sight. I call my boyfriend, who tells me that if this is how they treat prospective employees, I should leave. I scoff and tell him they're busy, it's probably normal. Hang up and go back to snotty receptionist. She never called anyone, I can tell by her bovine/nervous stare. Tells me to go back to the waiting area. But not for long...

1:50PM Finally meet with BDC guy who reiterates what the General Sales Mgr. said. Nice enough, but by this time I am fried from waiting so long between interviews.

2PM Go back to the office of the original guy who interviewed me. Lights are turned off and no one's home. He had some meeting, blah, blah. I finally heed my boyfriend's advice and high tail it out of there. Something I should have done over an hour ago!

Looking back, the way the job interview was conducted was an overall indicator of Sonic Automotive, the company. A disorganized mess, to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • None. They just chat. I suppose to see if they'll get along with you.   Answer Question
    Sales job with commission, so there's no negotiating that.

Receptionist/Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive.

Easy going, more like a conversation with a friend. Was persistent in the beginning to put a face to the resume and got a call back 2 days like like promised. Met with the GM for 1 hr. Was asked to come back 2 days later and then filled out a survey thing to determine how management will effectively manage me. Spoke with other manager and received a drug test kit and background check sent through email to approve. Was called back within 2 weeks and told I got the job. Very easy process.

Interview Questions
    I said 14 (wanting 12) and he said they were thinking 12. So went perfectly.

Human Resource Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sonic Automotive in January 2013.

Submitted application online. Received a email asking me to complete a personality test. Based on results of personality test I was granted an interview with HR department head and his assistant. The interview started promptly at the arranged time and lasted about 1 hour. The questions were general in nature with nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions were asked. Just the usual... why do you want to change employers etc.   Answer Question

SERVICE ADVISOR Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sonic Automotive in September 2011.

was called to HR, underwent testing, a company video

Interview Questions
    • what did your previous employer have as a desired benefit   Answer Question

E-sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sonic Automotive in August 2011.

It was a ridiculous interview process. I applied in August and my first day wasn't till the end of October. I had to go through a total of 8 different interviews, which were extremely redundant. I interviewed with all of the GM's of all the dealerships that I would be working with. It could have been handled better.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase, it is a corporation, you get what they tell you.